22 lr sight in range

Tenntrapper

Just curious as to what range is common. I normally sight in at 25-30 yards. I'm not talking about any type of competition shooting, just for small game hunting. Any advantage to a longer/shorter sight in? Thanks for any input.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I use CCI mini mags, so can't speak to the trajectory of the standard velocity ammo. I mainly site mine in that high because that is the distance from my back deck to the backstop of my range, and I do quite a bit of offhand practice at that distance. It's never let me down on squirrels either

mike243

I like 50y, never any problem with head shots to that distance, a head/ neck shot use to be the only way i would shoot 1, these days I realize there is no meat on ribs so a lot bigger target lol, makes skinning a little tougher sometimes though

Omega

You know, never thought about sighting in my .22 any different than my hunting rifle, both at 100 yards. I always hit my squirrels and rabbits, but I can see where a shorter zero would probably be better since many of the targets I shoot at are closer. May have to try 50 yards next time, I have a Ruger 10/22 Charger I need to sight in.

Hunter 257W

50 yards for me most of the time. But then I've never used 22's for squirrels a lot. Still you aren't going to have to hold much low for closer shots to hit a squirrel with that Zero.

I like to Zero mine for 100 yards for off-hand gong practice.

Safari Hunt

25 yards for me. Even with a scope, I err on the side of caution. Around here, I'm a bit cautious due to the population in the county. With the range of over one mile, I'm very cautious. Good luck and squirrels make great gravy.

Andy S.

I typically hunt early season with heavy foliage/leaf on, so I dial most of mine in at 35 yards. If you visit rimfirecentral.com where the hardcore rimfire guys/girsl are, it seems most of them set it at 50 yards.

mike243

Been a member at RFC for a long time, hunted with several folks there and all have been top shelf folks imo. the annual get together in southern Il is always a blast. Shawnee national forest is some pretty woods for sure

Tenntrapper

Here is a dope chart for CCI Standard Velocity. 50yd zero has very similar poi as 25yd. This data has been spot on at the range.
This would imply that a 25 and 50 yard sight in, is nearly identical? At 25 the bullet is coming up thru the line of sight. At 50, it's coming back down thru it. Is this correct?

mike243

I only shoot 40g sp federals to hunt with, no copper wash or HP , best accuracy out of most of my rifles

mike243

At 100y where the thin and thick cross hairs merge is dead on at 100y with my 10/22T with a 3-9-40 scope on it

Latest posts