.22 LR scope for squirrel

Rakkin6

Hey guys for those of you that use a .22 LR to hunt squirrel if you use a scope which one are you using. I have some nice Nikon Leupold and Vortex on my shotguns and rifles but those are high dollar. Just looking for some recommendations on what has worked for you all.

Was using a 20 gauge and thought about a .410 but I don't want to have to worry at all about biting into a piece of shot.

Andy S.

I have several from $100 Vortex to $300 Weaver and Leupold. 4x32 or 2-8x36. Most of the time, I keep my variable power scopes on 4-5x, but I do occasionally crank them up. I mainly squirrel hunt with leaf on (heavy foliage) so shots are pretty close.

Weegee

Hey guys for those of you that use a .22 LR to hunt squirrel if you use a scope which one are you using. I have some nice Nikon Leupold and Vortex on my shotguns and rifles but those are high dollar. Just looking for some recommendations on what has worked for you all.

Was using a 20 gauge and thought about a .410 but I don't want to have to worry at all about biting into a piece of shot.
I've used a $100 Vortex Crossfire 2-7 power for a while now. Works pretty well, I leave it on 2x for close shots unless I see one farther out.

GUNNERX2

I haven't purchased a scope in ages. In the mid 60s, I bought a Marlin 39A and put a Weaver K3 on it at the time of purchase. Glass is still clear & crisp. In the 70s, I bought a used Win Mod 75 and topped it with a Redfield fixed 6 television screen scope (don't know the model). It's still crisp & clear and is usually the gun I pick up when the tree rats need thinnin'.

Olevern

I too prefer Leupold rimfire, and have several, but the one Simmons 22 mag scope I have on a Norinco 22 bolt action rifle has been good for a number of years and has served well in the field.....it even survived a shop fire a couple of years ago, out of the gun safe in which the heat was so high that the gun had to be refinished....wiped down the scope with solvent to cut the black soot and she's still working same as always.

Omega

I have a cheap 3x9x40 on a 10/22, has been on there for the past 30 years. Can't recall the brand ATM, but it was probably around $40 at the time, possibly a Simmons or Bushnell. I would think most any decent brand scope will do as the .22 doesn't beat up a scope all that much.

middleTNbowhunter

Hard to go wrong with a Nikon or Leupold. I went with a fixed 4 power Nikon, and it works very well, but if I could do it again, I'd get a 2-7 or 3-9 variable power scope for those longer-range shots.

rukiddin

I love my vortex's but I've had a $40 3x9x40 Tasco on my marlin bolt 22 that rides 24/7/365 in the gun rack of my side by side and it's never let me down.
i have a vortex 2x7x32 on my daughters CZ and I have a 3x9x40 vortex on my cz457 Varmint. They are great scopes.