22~ish Pistol Suppressor Host

BDS05

My next two purchases will be 1.) pistol in 22lr and 2.) a suppressor for such.

For the pistol, anyone have experience, positive, with the Buckmark? Significant differences in models you've found to matter?

For the suppressor, opinions on a quality dedicated 22 suppressor easy to clean?
Has anyone went with say a suppressor capable of hosting a 45 and had no regrets using it down to a 22?

hillbillyfab

My favorite as of right now can host in rimfire is our Ruger Mark 4. I've got a couple uppers for it, but the aluminum shrouded barrel version feels really good with a can on it. I'm not sure which model it is. As for rimfire cans, I have the Rugged Oculus and the Silencerco Warlock II. The Oculus is more robust and better made, while the Warlock has aluminum baffles. The Warlock wins due to being so light and small diameter, less than an inch. As for using a big bore can on a rimfire, you can do it and I've done it, but once you use a dedicated rimfire can you won't to go back. I've got a Hybrid can, if I used it for rimfire it would be like screwing a boat anchor on my Ruger. It wouldn't be very enjoyable.

jaybird62

It's hard to beat a Ruger Mark IV 22/45. As soon as I moved back to the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave (Tennessee), I had a 22/45's barrel threaded to accept a 1/2-28 threaded nipple so a rimfire can would fit. Had to replace sights, but new models allow for suppressor height. I'll have to agree that you will want a dedicated .22 rimfire can. The first can I picked up was an first-gen AAC Pilot. I've also got a SilencerCo Sparrow, which is a user-serviceable can. That's a feature you don't want to be without, especially with a rimfire can. It's amazing how much quieter the Sparrow is compared to the old AAC can. I've still got the Ruger pre-production 22/45 that comes threaded from the factory and shoot it almost weekly. Trying to suppress a .22 rimfire with a .45 pistol can leaves a lot to be desired. There's a lot of difference in diameter between the two, and it makes it hard for a large-bore can to do its job. A large-caliber can will be a lot heavier, too.

rifle02

Some auto pistols can be picky about ammo In 22LR.. I have a Browning buck mark medallion. It definitely is not picky about ammo. It feeds fires and ejects every single type and brand I have run through it.

LY

I've got an older mid-90's model Buckmark and love it. Fits my hands and shoots great, just no threaded barrel on mine. Ruger MK's seem to be the industry standard, but they just don't fit my hand and I don't shoot my buddies near as good as my Buckmark.

I've also got a SW M&P .22 Compact that has a threaded barrel for my suppressor. It's okay, but I much prefer my Browning. If I was in the market today or perhaps without the looming recession, I would be getting one of the new Sig P322's. Check out 22plinkster's review on youtube. He called it one of the most reliable .22's he's ever shot and it comes with two 20 round magazines.

I've got a YHM Stinger for my .22's and would get another. I recently bought a Ruger SR and it's currently in jail so I can't say how good or bad it'll be, but all reports seem to be positive.

A buddy has one of the modular models and shoots .22, 300 BO and a .40 pistol with it. Not sure if it goes to .45 or not. He paid like $1,100 or more for it and other than having to break it down and set it back up to match what he's shooting he likes it. Using the modular part of it is great but gets to be a pain if your swapping platforms back and forth very much. He's since got two more in jail to have more dedicated ones, including a Dead Air Mask. The Mask is like the MK II in that it seems to be the standard all others strive to be.

Chief44

I've got a Ruger 22/45 lite and a silencerco sparrow and love the set up. The sparrow is easy to break down and clean and it's also rated for 17HMR. The 17 still has that crack but still makes a big difference. Although I've never tried, it's also rated for 5.7x28 and 22 WMR.

ttf909

Not a great idea to shoot 22 thru anything other than a dedicated 22 suppressor. 22 is terribly dirty .
That being said I have 3 22 lr cans. Several hosts . Glock 22, Taurus 22 , ruger 2245 , kel tec . Had a sig 365 22 but didn't keep it long. Also chiappa 17 hmr

skipperbrown

At my NRA bullseye range, (25 and 50 yds, one handed, slow fire and rapid fire), the budget .22 pistol of choice is the Ruger Mark 2 through 4 for accuracy, dependability and cost, usually paired with an inexpensive red dot scope. CCI standard velocity ammo is the cheapest (boy that's a relative term these days) ammo to stay competitive.

If you have a 1911 laying around, the Nelson/Marvel .22 conversion is the bees knees at about $550 suppressor ready, super accurate, but you may/will need a trigger job if your 1911 is off the shelf. If your budget is up to $1500, there are 2 custom models based on the Ruger frame.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd find a budget milspec 1911 (has to be mil spec), get a trigger job, and go with the Nelson. You can go back to the .45 acp in about 1 minute if you ever want to shoot centerfire. 2 pistols for about a grand not including trigger job which can be done yourself if you are comfortable working on guns.

I have a Rugged Oculus .22 suppressor and I really like it but I don't have another dedicated .22 rimfire suppressor to compare it to. I don't think it is really ear safe with a pistol and std velocity, but it's close. It's like a loud pellet gun. With CCI Quiet, 775 fps, it's Hollywood quiet but won't cycle the slide. Whatever you get, make sure it breaks down for cleaning because as noted above, they get dirty quickly.

Finally, I have a S&W performance center Victory I could be persuaded to sell if you are near Nooga. It's gathering dust since I got the Nelson.

Wiley

I have a buckmark with a tax sol barrel and a sure fire suppressor. Light and accurate.
I also have a Browning Buckmark with the TacSol barrel and the steel rail/rear sight top strap that replaces the plastic one that it came from the factory with. It's scary accurate suppressed or unsuppressed. I have 4 .22 suppressors and they are all top shelf, hearing safe on anything and easy to disassemble for cleaning. I have a Ruger MarkII stainless 6" bull barrel and would take the Buckmark all day long over the Ruger....... unless I needed to also use my pistol as a club.

Latest posts