22-250 vs 243 vs 257

19_A_CPT

Got two of them and getting ready to obtain the other. What would be everyone's go to caliber for deer and coyotes?

22-250 is a 24" Mauser 1893 with a heavy stock and 3-9x40
243 is a break action NEF with a cheap scope.
257 is a Mauser 98 with a soon to be 2-7x33 Leupold.

Have not shot any of them at game. Will all be capable to handling deer/coyotes/prairie dogs?
Any one preferred over the next?

Thoughts ? Experiences? Pros and Cons?

Last edited:

Hunter 257W

I'd go with the 257 (I assume this is a 257 Roberts??) if deer was my intended game. Bigger works better than trying to use a varmint cartridge for something they never were intended for. I know that 22 bullets have changed a lot in recent years and there are several 22 bullets that are considered "Controlled Expansion" style and will work. BUT you are stretching the capability too close to the breaking point for me when you go after deer with any 22 centerfire. Now if you want a coyote or groundhog rifle, the 22-250 is one of the best. I love mine for that purpose - it was the 1st 22 centerfire I ever bought.

The 243 is a good compromise round that will do both varmint and deer duty but I'd pass on account of the NEF rifle with the other cartridges being available in bolt actions.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
22-250 is likely too slow if a twist (1:12 or 1:14) to stabilize many of the tougher 22 cal bullets suitable for deer hunting. That would also likely be a handloading proposition.

243 is adequate, but single shot and cheap scope gives me some pause. Fix the cheap scope part and you may be in business. Some of those NEFs were great shooters, some were dogs.

257 with a quality scope sounds like the winner.

Now the real question; can you find ammo, much less quality ammo, for any of them?

DaveB

Our A-Bolt Medallion 22-250 has a 1:14 twist and will not stabilize beyond a 60 grain Nosler Partition. It is a very accurate rifle and kills deer easy. I got this rifle strictly for killing coyotes and it does an excellent job at that. If you can get a fast twist barrel there is a 70 grain Accubond that would be a great choice.

Our 700 ADL in 243 is a deer killing machine but is picky about what it will shoot. We load it up with 95 or 100 grain Partitions and pretty much just stay there. Very accurate rifle.

I don't own a quarter caliber rifle. I know that genre has a dedicated following and the Roberts and Weatherby family are high on the selection list.

The solution is to take your 22-250 and build a 60 grain or slightly less Ballistic tip round for coyotes and prarie dogs. Take the 243 and work up a recipe for a 95-105 grain cup and core bullet there must be around 50 choices. I would pass on the 257 unless it was a weatherby.

Safari Hunt

.243 is a good choice for deer and predators. IMO, the 22/250 is a bit too light for deer. The .257/6.5 mm has excellent ballistic coefficient numbers if that is a concern. Me? I bought a .243 last spring for my grandson to use.

mike243

If you dont reload, look and see how if they stock any ammo where you shop for ammo for the 257, a lot of times the less popular cals can be hard to locate on short notice

Tenntrapper

.243 is a good choice for deer and predators. IMO, the 22/250 is a bit too light for deer. The .257/6.5 mm has excellent ballistic coefficient numbers if that is a concern. Me? I bought a .243 last spring for my grandson to use.
Not to add confusion here, but although the .257 is technically a 6.5mm, the typical (high bc) 6.5mm is .264.

rukiddin

I have seen a lot of deer killed by a 55 grain bullet from a 22-250. My grandfather's favorite round and he would shoot 10-15 deer per month with it on his farm in WV due to crop damage.

Unlike most farmers he would make it a point to recover the deer and give it to people who wanted the meat.

He gave me his .257 Roberts and a couple .243s but won't give up his 22-250.... maybe someday!

After seeing what the round did to deer, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with it. It's FAST and in my opinion, speed kills.

i know a ton of "old timers" in eastern NC that'll tell you the 22-250 is all the gun you'll ever need. That round seems to have a cult like following in eastern NC for deer. No telling how many hundreds of deer have died from that round. No idea the bullet they're shooting but they kill and kill often.

WTM

I had a Cousin that built one on a 98, also a .250 and .243. This was in the '70's I think and actions were a lot more plentiful.
yeah on a good condition 98 you could load it up to 50k cup or so. add a 1-7.5" tube and would be aboe to shoot some of those 131 gr ace for some long range target fun. or just shoot hornady super performance factory ammo. a henry long ranger would be a neat versatile lever gun in 257 roberts if they would just make one lol.

Lost Lake

Any of them will work. The Mauser actions would be my pick though.

The 60 grain Partition makes the 22/250 a whole nuther animal. I've killed and seen too many deer killed with it to think otherwise. Likewise the .243. It's fine as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

MickThompson

257 Roberts ammo was hard to find a year before the election. I almost bought one but feel like they did me a favor when the deal fell through.

My pick from those choices would be 243

Latest posts