20ga question

catchem3434

What's everyone had luck with for a bottom to mid level price 20ga shooting TSS? Would love to get an M2 but probably out of the price range as of now. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

Not in the same class as a M2, but for much more economical inertia driven auto 20 gauge, look at the franchi affinity. I've seen several made into turkey guns. That would be a good option if you also wanted to use it for wing shooting. But for a pure turkey gun, I too would vote for the 870.

elknturkey

If I was starting over and looking for a semi auto 20ga turkey gun I'd grab a weatherby sa-459

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SKFOOTER

Southern Sportsman":1avu9kc5 said:
Not in the same class as a M2, but for much more economical inertia driven auto 20 gauge, look at the franchi affinity. I've seen several made into turkey guns. That would be a good option if you also wanted to use it for wing shooting. But for a pure turkey gun, I too would vote for the 870.
I've been shooting TSS #9's thru a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge for the last 2 seasons and I love it.

TN Larry

Andy S.":12fyn76p said:
Longbow2240":12fyn76p said:
It's hard to beat an 870 for the price.
.....and last year Remington ran a nice rebate for the 870s about this time of year. Be on the lookout for it in the coming weeks, they could do it again.

This. I bought one last year around this same time. The wood stock 870 youth was $289 plus tax minus the $50 rebate at Wal-Mart. I ended up with the full camo compact for a few dollars more. Wal-Mart was cheaper than anywhere that I could find online including tax.

Uncle Jesse

Yildiz over/under from academy. Then you have a short range and a long range barrel

My short range (0 to 25) barrel has a light modified choke shooting 2 3/4 7.5 Golden pheasant
Long range has an extra full shooting hevi 13

2 of the 3 I've killed with it was with the short range barrel

deerfever

Mosseberg SA 20 turkey thug! This gun is light and throws a great pattern with the Carlson's .575 non ported. The gun no longer is called "thug" just simply SA 20 turkey. I really like this gun and the way it performs.

Southern Sportsman

Uncle Jesse":5ssg8sdb said:
Yildiz over/under from academy. Then you have a short range and a long range barrel

My short range (0 to 25) barrel has a light modified choke shooting 2 3/4 7.5 Golden pheasant

The over/under turkey gun is a great idea in theory. But you have to be careful/lucky because many of the less expensive over/unders may have two barrels that shoot slightly different poi. I tried it with a 12 gauge a few years back. At 30 yards, there was 4-5 inches difference between the two barrels. I killed a few with it but it always bothered me so I sold it after a couple seasons.

elknturkey

Southern Sportsman":2spwxvsj said:
Uncle Jesse":2spwxvsj said:

The over/under turkey gun is a great idea in theory. But you have to be careful/lucky because many of the less expensive over/unders may have two barrels that shoot slightly different poi. I tried it with a 12 gauge a few years back. At 30 yards, there was 4-5 inches difference between the two barrels. I killed a few with it but it always bothered me so I sold it after a couple seasons.
Why I've always stayed away from them as turkey guns. Great if they work but I've shot a lot of sub $1000 doubles and it's a crap shoot getting one that both barrels shoot the same

elknturkey

catchem3434":3tp703rc said:
Has anyone tried the tristar 20ga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not but have read that since they've changed hands that they have very very few problems now.

Latest posts