209 blackhorn vs 777 pellets??

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I have been using the 777 pellets for 20 years now, but I been seeing where you guys have been talking about 209 blackhorn. So what the pro and cons of both?? Thanks

iowavf

My 15th shot is like my 1st shot with no cleaning between shots. With 777 pellets I had to fire the ML to foul the barrel because it was way off with a clean barrel compared to a dirty barrel, then I was good for about 5 or 6 shots before it would start to wonder or get really hard to load due to the crud ring. I didn't like to use a wet patch then dry between shots while hunting. Clean up with solvent and not hot soapy water.

Wobblyshot1

If you've been using 777 pellets for 20 years, why do you want to change now? Blackhorn 209 comes only in a loose powder form and is sold in a 10oz bottle. I believe its classed as a solid propellent and not a smokeless powder. IMO this is a stretch(looks like smokeless, smells like smokeless, cleans up with smokeless solvent) but will admit that Western Powders have done a good job in creating a comparatively "hot" black powder substitute. It is not recommended for traditional ML firearms or, I believe, the older inlines. Many on here use it and seemed to be pleased with the results. It is a little pricey. http://www.biggamehunt.net/sites/defaul ... HEET-3.pdf

iowavf

One thing to remember if you switch, Black horn is like loose 777 and is hotter than the pellet loads. 3 777 pellets is equal to 150gr load, but if you use BH or loose 777 powder which is 20% hotter, 120gr by volume is considered a max load or equivalent to 3 50gr 777 pellets.

GMB54

If you run the cost per shot numbers then BH209 is cheaper than pellets.

4375gr in 10oz
84gr by weight is the max load
52 shots for a max load per bottle
Its $38 per bottle at Cabelas
So 73 cents per shot
73 shots for a 100gr equivalent load or 59 cents per shot but it will produce more fps than 2 pellets.

Triple7 pellets are on sale atm for $30 per box of 100
3 pellets for a max load
33 shots per box
90 cents per shot
50 shots for a 100gr equivalent or 60cents per shot

A max load of BH209 also produces less peak pressure than 3 pellets and you wont ever crush it like can happen with a pellet.
Much less corrosive than any other black powder sub
You never have to use water to clean your bore and should not either
You never need to swab between shots
Exceptionally good velocity with a 300gr projectile.
Available in 5lb jugs for much less cost per ounce.
Non-hygroscopic...absorbs far less moisture than other subs.
Long term storage is excellent.
No other sub has won as many times at Friendship's Inline matches.....not one has even come close to the records its set.

The only negative is you need a good breach plug design and should use regular 209s or Mag 209s. Hardly a negative though since Winchester Triple7 primers cost much more.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
It's the cleaning and maybe some extra yard's that got me thinking on switching.

How long storage does it have? I am still using the same box of 777 pellets that I bought 20 year ago.

REN

TNGRIZZLY_":1of35xv6 said:
It's the cleaning and maybe some extra yard's that got me thinking on switching.

How long storage does it have? I am still using the same box of 777 pellets that I bought 20 year ago.

Ive had the same BH powder in my garage for 10 years and never had an issue. If stored properly you should get more time then needed out of it.

451LRML

Comparing Hodgdon website data vs Blackhorn data - with a 100gr charge by volume of each, BH will give you and additional 100fps. Negligible difference with hunting.
Shooting BH will require some additional cost to set up your rifle correctly.
I found it no different to clean up after the shooting.
You can however shot quite a few shots in don't have to worry about swapping - don't think that I worry while hunting .
Good luck

JeepKuntry

For some reason my ML make a huge crud ring. Once I went to Bh209 that disappeared. As you expect, accuracy significantly increased as well. Another plus on the bh209 is less overall cleaning. My setup this year is 95 grain with 240 xtp bullet. My last 2 blood trails haven't been that good, so next year I'm looking to go up on overall weight of bullet. Most of my stand sites are in wooded areas where 80 yard shot would be about the max. I like thick areas.

Latest posts