204 reload ?

Encore Eye Candy

I already asked some questions but hear is another. I'm about to load my first (I mean my first loads ever) for my 204. How many of each loads from powder to OAL do you prepare of each do you take to the range to test. Any input would be greatful.

Tiny

Have varied from this in the past but 10 rounds of starting loads to sight in zero scope,then at least 5 rounds each load there after.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I only load three of each range. That tells me enough to see whether I want to go further without wasting a lot of time, powder, and bullets. A bad three shot group is going to be a bad five shot group. A good three shot group isn't always a good five shot group.

mr.big

I load 10 each,from a clean bbl and shoot 1 fouler and 3 3 shot groups,and average the 3,,

I have shot 3 fliers in a row for a group in the .2`s that is unrepeatable,,I don`t trust 3 shots enough to make me want to load 100.

I load several sets of three then find the group I want. When I settle on a load I go back and load 10 and shoot them. When I'm satisfied with the ten I finalize my load and write it into my load book. I usually try three or four powders, depending on what I have on hand.

Encore Eye Candy

Thanks for the info. I've post a picture of my Encores, the 2nd is the 204.

IMG_0054.jpg

Its not a waste of powder when you only need one shot to kill. The TSX's are the most accurate hunting bullets I have ever tried in a 30 caliber, on the others they are at least equal in accuracy, but the real selling point is the job they do one deer, hogs and coyotes. :grin:

mr.big

they will do nothing a Hornady Interlock at 13$ a hundred will do on deer,and nothing on coyotes a NBT at 25$ a hundred will do on coyotes,,and nothing on hogs an Accubond will do at about the same price,and they may be as accurate in some guns,but most I have dealt with you got serious throat erosion by the time you find a load it likes and then you have to clean it every 13th shot..

I guess it boils down to preference and personal confidence with a given ammo or bullet, mine is with Barnes. The only probelms I've had with copper fouling came from the older X bullets not the TSX's that I shoot know. I have to admit when I tried the old X bullets I felt like I had wasted my money, but my experience with the TSX bullet is totally different. I'm brand loyal when I find something that works and does whats expected. I like the deep penatration of the bullets and the option of taking a shoulder or striaght on shoots that I would hesitate on with lighter built bullets such as a NBT. The bottom line is the shooter and accurate shot placement, each bullet style has it's advantages and disadvantages you just have to match them to your needs and expectations :)

As far as the X bullets go I have a partial box of 120gr 6.5mm X bullets that will not shoot worth a crap in my (2) 6.5 swedes or 6.5 Jap. My 6.5 Swedish Mauser will shoot sub-moa with Sierra 140's. I won't shoot X bullets in anything but an A-bolt of my friends 243wssm, it likes everything.

Latest posts