2021 Nest Predator Bounty Program Begins Today

tellico4x4

In South Dakota, but wouldn't this be great for our turkeys!

PIERRE, S.D. – Today, the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks (GFP) will kick off the third year of the Nest Predator Bounty program as part of Gov. Noem's Second Century Initiative. Tails from raccoon, striped skunk, badger, red fox, and opossum will be eligible for $10 per-tail payments with a maximum total payout of $500,000. The per-tail payment is an increase from $5 per-tail last year.
"In the last two years we removed nearly 80,000 nest predators predominantly from the eastern part of the state " said Kevin Robling, GFP Department Secretary. "When trapping is done at high intensities, during the primary nesting season at a localized level, predator removal has positively influenced nest success of ducks and pheasants. With favorable weather conditions during the winter months, enhanced efforts on habitat management and the continuation of the nest predator bounty program we should expect to see fantastic bird numbers for the 2021 pheasant season."
Tails eligible for submission can be harvested via trapping or hunting. Participants need a hunting, furbearer, or fishing license to be eligible to participate in the bounty program.

JCDEERMAN

I would be all over this in Tennessee. It makes too much sense to actually happen though. We like to spend money studying not actually getting stuff done.
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Acorn TV

waynesworld

I don't think TN has the same financial incentive that SD has. In SD a lot of $ comes from pheasant hunting. Out of state sales of lic funds a lot, a 10 day lisc is $121 for just small game. Then they have income of tourism. You need to get reservations early if you are going to a lot of towns there in Oct.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
I graduated from a high school an hour south of Mitchell, SD. Pheasant capital of the world back then. Farming practices in SD have changed dramatically and with the high input costs farmers are stretching, draining, burning, you name it to enhance yields. $50 fox in the early 70's was good money. SD has figured out a way to cull the real culprits of nest predation. Good on them.

wildlifefarmer

In trying to get the quail population up and turkey numbers stable predator control is vital. Coon, skunk, and possum bounties would be nice to help pay for gas, equipment and get more folks involved in trapping. However, our voices need to be heard. Get involved with any and all organizations that push these ideas of predator control.

jejeffrries71

In trying to get the quail population up and turkey numbers stable predator control is vital. Coon, skunk, and possum bounties would be nice to help pay for gas, equipment and get more folks involved in trapping. However, our voices need to be heard. Get involved with any and all organizations that push these ideas of predator control.
I've been letting the possums walk. They are that bad?

wildlifefarmer

IMO. All predators have a purpose. However they need to managed/controlled. If your objective is to increase your numbers of ground nesting birds, possum numbers usually need to be reduced. You alone will not put but a dent in the population. Possums make great buzzzard bait!

Planking

I haven't noticed an increase in possums but since i have entered the third year of coyote trapping the ground hogs and deer population have exploded on my place.

Latest posts