2020 Fort Campbell Season

deerfever

I said it in an earlier post , I quit trying for the most part to figure out some of the things that are done and just relax. The doe only thing makes no sense whatsoever but I am not a biologist by no means so hopefully someone can explain it.. Some say that the area has met it's quota of bucks? Then why do some areas move back and forth between either sex to doe only? If you have antler restrictions then why would you need a buck quota ? I am asking these questions as maybe one of you know the answer biologically speaking. My thinking is they want more doe harvest but here is the problem with that. Take a look at how many openings are in the doe only areas. No one is going in those but locals that may have already killed their buck. I noticed one doe only area with 0 people in it. If no one is in them then how will doe get harvested? Why not leave them either sex so people can actually go in them and hunt and get areas ? Put a list of the areas you need more doe harvest and ask the hunters to do their part to help. I know I would cooperate but can't help at all if I can't get an area. No way I drive 3 hours for doe only. Some of the areas that were doe only this weekend have only been open a few times the whole season that I know of, so they have met a quota already? It's not that they don't have areas it's that more are doe only than either sex. Again I am not complaining but just trying to understand it as they never did this in the past . I will simply hope next weekend has more open , if not it's just part of the process.

Roost 1

I said it in an earlier post , I quit trying for the most part to figure out some of the things that are done and just relax. The doe only thing makes no sense whatsoever but I am not a biologist by no means so hopefully someone can explain it.. Some say that the area has met it's quota of bucks? Then why do some areas move back and forth between either sex to doe only? If you have antler restrictions then why would you need a buck quota ? I am asking these questions as maybe one of you know the answer biologically speaking. My thinking is they want more doe harvest but here is the problem with that. Take a look at how many openings are in the doe only areas. No one is going in those but locals that may have already killed their buck. I noticed one doe only area with 0 people in it. If no one is in them then how will doe get harvested? Why not leave them either sex so people can actually go in them and hunt and get areas ? Put a list of the areas you need more doe harvest and ask the hunters to do their part to help. I know I would cooperate but can't help at all if I can't get an area. No way I drive 3 hours for doe only. Some of the areas that were doe only this weekend have only been open a few times the whole season that I know of, so they have met a quota already? It's not that they don't have areas it's that more are doe only than either sex. Again I am not complaining but just trying to understand it as they never did this in the past . I will simply hope next weekend has more open , if not it's just part of the process.
You are right it makes no sense... if you want/need does killed why have those areas archery only? Some of these doe only areas have such low deer density that if the buck quota is met then just close the area for deer hunting, let it be a small game area. Like I've said before they do not manage the wildlife there. After the area goes doe only no one really cares if it's open or not, therefore no complaining if it's a quail area. This is the first year areas have rotated back and forth from doe only back to either sex, I can't understand that either.

medwc

Been kind of quiet in here. Another Fort doe tagged this afternoon. Seen an OK buck chasing a doe also. He was dogging her hard. I was going to put her out of her misery but they never stopped long enough to get a good sight on her. Watched them run around for several minutes and then they were gone. That is all.

Antler Daddy

Last edited:

Rakkin6

Since the checking station was closed due to Covid, all the small bucks may have been quietly removed. I am curious if the increases in antler size BSK noted in middle TN also were present this year at the fort.

It is cool that some of these guys may have trained where I hunted.

I know 100% for sure they have. I just retired out of 5th Group. We walked all over the back 40 training lol.

Kyboy

I was lucky enough to tag a decent deer, came through so fast that I made a quick decision. Wasn't what I was after but it'll work. It would probably break a mans heart to see how many bucks didn't get tagged this year, or how many illegal bucks got shot. I know I've found several in the spring time that were obviously left there on purpose. There is no way of knowing but it would be super interesting.

Racknquack

EA8E0536-C678-4CD0-9FF3-1186D7EA797B.jpeg
i was lucky enough to get this guy in Oct.

Latest posts