2013 Kill Pics

PickettSFHunter

1st ever bearded hen, just wanted one in my lifetime.
10.13 pounds
8 inch beard

SDC10395_zps0ef829f7.jpg

spitndrum

Hooked up with REN this morning in trousdale co. We have hunted with each other for about 2 years now and just can't connect on anything when we go, we see stuff just can't close the distance. Well this morning was a different story. Had birds all over us this morning and after flydown 3 gobblers can below and behind us and all i could hear was spit and dummin and foot steps with an occasional wing drag :grin: IT WAS AWESOME! As i turn slowly back to my left to check the field there was a field full of turkeys only about 20 yards away MAX! I seen that was was accompanied by mostly hens and jakes and I guess the gobblers that came in below and behind us did that to cut this flock off at the top of the field while they checked out the sweet talk by REN! Finally in the back of the flock this guy was bringing up the rear cupped fan in half strut kinda in a little jog to keep up with the flock. We both seen him at the same time and I hear "Kill him Spit" "Kill Him" "Killed that Fool" :grin: he was tooooooooooooo up which I was too about to die there in front of me was the Blackcloud cure in full strut. I asked Jaymie to cut at him to pull him out of strut a=but he didnt hear me so i shot him in full strut right before he stepped completely out of the veiwfinder. Unbelieveable morning to say the least. We checked him out closed the video and carried him to a good picture taking area he always uses and I looked downa and said "Man I blew some beard out" O nevermind its a Double Beard Ha Ha!!!!!!

Not my biggest bird but as pretty of a fan I will ever see for TN IMO!

Waterfowler22

Buddy smashed him after he took 3 step after flyin down. We step up a little to close to him, but of work out great. Great mornin heard 7 different toms gobblin.
Killed in Burns tn.
dz766v.jpg

spitndrum

Long Read but GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD, If you enjoy my blogs!

What a morning is all i wll say to start with, what a weekend at that. AS most of you know I was able to take my first double bearded bird on saturday with REN watching it all unfold. Good Hunts with good friends is what drives me to return to the woods its what gets me out of the bed at 3am for a hour and a half road trip. But little did i know that Sundays hunt would unfold with such a bang with my BEST friend in the whole world! lets jump back a week to last sunday in trousdale co the season was finally looking up for us as Cody and I almost doubled twice in 1 day 3 times as a matter of fact we read the birds perfectly stalked em even better we just couldnt get in sync together for the shot and I didnt want to let selfishness overtake a good time with my baby brother and dad in the background videoing it all unfold. We got a game plan together that would be certain to work, its simple set up a blind righ ton the edge of the woods were the turkeys naturally funnel between 2 patches of woods and go across the field to another property. We arrived and got everything set up on the smallest clutter of trees imaginable and was sure we would stick out like a sore thumb. The morning came alive with gobbling in the distance but none close to where we thought they were coming out of the woods. Started seeing hens coming out where we seen em the weekend before but no toms or jakes with em??? We are confused at this point and debating on going after a gobblin bird near the back of the property. The hens started working towards us and we were filming everything off in the distance. Once they got to see the decoys set up in front of the blind they kinda came across the top of the field quickly, only thing we can figure is she spooked due to the bind being there and her not used to it? Another flock of hens came off the hill and were working slowly to us, I stood up in the blind and was filming them in the bottoms and all the suddden GOOOOOOBBBBLLLLLLLLEEEEEE off in the distance on the hill behind the girls. As i turned to look i see 2 bigger birds in a solid walk not strutting but coming right to our property. I get back in my chair and asked cody to call softly when i tell him too, the birds are walking across the bottom at this time and he yelps softly the last gobbler stops and looks a hard look up on the hill at killer B and keeps walking at this point I'm thinking its over we can defeat 6 hens right there for one strutter decoy and a hen in breeding position. I see 3 red heads pop up on top of the rise still out at 100 yards then one blows into strut. Ok maybe still have a chance they work over the hill slowly and start committing to the decoy and I say to Cody "O its on son get ready this is it" 3 gobblers are coming over the hill in a fast walk almost trot of march if you will I have no time to film them coming in just reach up to my capture you hunt gopro mount which is on my gun and hit record. Raise my gun up and you see 3 gobblers coming in hard, I then say to cody "Let me know" safety click they all 3 gobble in unison as one loudly right at the blind 20 yards in front of us and I hear "NOW!" and I squeeze the trigger! Funny thing was I only heard one gun shot, we had shot right on que with each other and there in front of us laid 2 longbeards graveyard dead! I could almost cry doubling with someone is a hard thing to do but to accomplish something like this with your best friend and someone you have spent your life with was unbelievable! I ended up shooting the strutter and he busted another nice gobbler! Mine ended up being 20lbs and had a 9.5 inch beard with 7/8 inch spurs, Codys weighed 18.5 had a 9 inch beard and 7/8 inch ivory spurs!

TNRino

Killed this jake 2 weeks ago. ive had some family issues so havent had a lot of time to get on here but here he is. Gobbled all the way in. Sounded alot bigger than he was but ill take him for my first.

Waterfowler22

4-19
34gx7cp.jpg

Never gobbled on roast, I just knew where they was from yesterday, they come off roast about 250 yards from me in a field, and started workin to me, finally he saw my decoys and came right in struttin and gobblin

spitndrum

4-20-13

Back into the dense green woods we go once again chasin' those ol thunder birds, this trip led us to Middle Tn with good friends of mine. I had previously visited these friends in years past and yet to connect with a turkey, opportunity was always there I just failed to do me part and shoot well ha ha! Cody saddles up with me and heads west on friday about 3 pm this would be his first trip to the area chasin' turkies and the only thing I could say is there was no shortage. Upon arrival we drove by all the farms we had access to and got a feel for the land. Then went back that evening to shoot one if the opportunity presented itself, but primarily to roost one. Hit the field and saw several birds in the field already, called to them but were not interested as they were headed to bed for the night. Got up and at it saturday morning and for sure thought one of us was gonna get to shoot something this morning. Plenty of gobblin' on the limb and when the birds hit the ground still some what good gobblin'. Finally called em to the field edge but was at 100 yards and no interest to cut the distance. Finally walked off out of our lives and up the field edge even farther than before. I called to them they gobbled, I cut aggessively back they gobbled, and cut again they gobbled again. Still nothing as they strutted hard about 200 yards away "Dancing for the camera I like to call it!" They finally leave the field while we hopelessly watch it happen and nothing to do, we pull out and go grab a bite to eat and re-group.

The gameplan you ask? Just to go back to the area they roosted and wait em out for the evening I was certain they would be right back. We parked in the field to the east and started walking in When cody said hey there is a male bird on the hill over across the field i can just see his head through the binos in the grass. I take a look and could very well make out a red head in the grass, lets try to get in range I think it would be fun. Here we go, the stalk for a turkey begins, yeah stalk for a turkey who gets to do this? GAME ON! We make progress and get to were we think he is and look to my left and see the tree I marked him with, over 100 yards away, We are ruint he surely sees us from here. Back up and ease back to the fence row and go on down, as we approached the area we see a hen and gobbler going across the field we hunted that morning, AWESOME thats surely him. We both agree and slip down to the spot anyways to see where he was resting, laying or whatever they do. All the sudden about 10 yards away he jumps up and cody sends a 3.5 inch mag blend towards him with a miss he picks up in the air and starts to really get outa there, second shot drops this 23 lb beast out of the air. We ran to the bird to see him equipped with 1 1/4 inch razor sharp spurs and sporting an 11.5 inch beard WOW what a monster!

After loading his bird and getting our gear back packed up and ready to play another rendition of one of the toughest games i have personally ever played, we turned the camera on and were in pursuit of the bird that was going across the field. Get in postion to check the field and sure enough he is there with a hen headed to the back corner. Get in the truck and ease all the way around the property to the back side and slip in the back door, sure fire plan! Heard drumming in the field as i ease in and thought O this is gravy maybe I will connect. Birds work back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and you get the picture nothing presents a shot but can hear all this action all evening drumming gobbling jake yelps hens etc etc. Finally decided to close the distance a little closer and crawl down the trail. Get set up and called softly and had 3 jakes show up at 20 yards, go no kids its not yet your time i said under my breath. They go on and i ease a little closer finally I can see the strutters in the field, they are about 75 yards away just under the hill. Called to em and they finally after all this time started easing my way, my brother is behind me running the camera, here we go its time they close the distance and ease my gun in postion and at 40 yards cut sharply and give the strutter that was spitting and drumming a load of mag blends up side his noggin and he eats dirt. Once of my better birds to date having 1 1/8 inch spur and the other dubbed off to 15/16, 21.6 lbs and 9.5 inch beard! What a great weekend we had once again thanks for reading!

Spurhunter

Doubled with my 14 year old son at 6:35AM Saturday morning, April 6th. As my son says, "they still had sleep in their eyes". Mine: 16 pounds even, 9 and 7/8 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs. His: 19 pounds 10 ounces, 10 inch beard, and 3/4 spurs. I can tell you this, there is no feeling like killing a double with your son!

Waterfowler22

5-1
29py9hc.jpg

Killed this ol boy at 11:11, he was hot. He came down a big ridge across a main hwy, and right up to me. Shot him at 12 steps right over the decoys. Awesome hunt I won't forget, for a while.
22 lbs
Right at 10in beard
1.25 spurs.

Latest posts