2004 Honda Rancher ES question

mfisher

I have a problem with my ATV, I can not get the machine to shift out of reverse. This means I can not start it as it needs to be in neutral to fire. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can fix this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cbhunter

does it have the push button shifter? my dads is same model I think and his electronic "push button" shifter went out as well. his has the stud sticking out of the side for the foot shifter. he welded a shifter on there that he now uses. hope this helps! if not, put post this in general forum and more people will likely see it.

Tennessee Lead

Mine used to do that. I would use that tool that came with it to put it in neutral.
I sold it not wanting to put anymore money into it.
I sold it cheap and the old boy fixed it.
Turns out it was a fuse [emoji30][emoji24][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

redhunterZ71

May be this black wire next to where the drive shaft comes out the back of engine. Mine comes off and it want go into reverse until I snap it back on
946f7115a59f4fd1ddfd073e8f8b49a0.jpg

TNGunhunter

My Foreman is ES, and the battery went dead, and it would not shift even when I jumped it off. Put in new battery and everything started working again. I guess low voltage can also affect it. Just my 2 cents!!

mfisher

thanks for the input, its been on the back-burner but once I get it fixed (and I'll try the fixes reccomended) I'll let y'all know what the solution was.

Gravey

I've got a 99 Honda 300 and mine wouldn't go into neutral the other day. Took it to a guy and he calls me and says the battery is dead. Tell him I just put it in so he starts digging. Ends up being something he called the stater (not starter) and something else. It was draining the battery so he replaced both and now its running like a champ again.

Gravey

mfisher":ocei89jb said:
mind if I ask who you took it to and how much that ran to get it fixed?
Jesse Davis (Extreme Dirt Sports) in Lebanon. Phone is 615-547-4488. Total was $546 and $360 of that was parts ($300 for the stater assembly, $35 for the regulator, and $15 shop supplies). $150 was labor. It's the second time he's worked on something for me and I really like him. Seems to really know his stuff and as a matter of fact someone from this forum recommended him.

Forvols

Dont know if you got it fixed. I have 2005 FOREMAN ES on it indiffernet to what gear it is in if I pull both brakes at the same time I can start mine. I also had the low battery issue where it wouldnt shift if not running, once running it would shift fine. So I left it that way until the battery finally would not start the ATV..got a new battery and all the shifting issues went away.

mfisher

very interesting, this is my project this weekend. I'll try all of these options...trying to avoid the shop if at all possible

mfisher

Well I finally got it fixed and the issue was the battery. I put in a new battery in last year and assumed that it wasn't the issue. Turns out the connection wasn't perfect (looks like I have myself to blame for that) and it drained the battery enough to make the problem occur. I took it to a place I'd like to recommend for the middle TN folks on here. Place in Murfreesboro called First Kick. Good guys that did good work for a friend of mine and now me at a really reasonable price. Saw some negative reviews on line (seemed to be regarding motorcycle repairs) but my personal experience has been good.

Latest posts