200% Licence Increase for WY NR Hunters In the Works

th88

Our only hope is for a solid decade of fantastic weather and no disease. Get numbers back up so they can increase tags.
We still have development to contend with but that's for another topic.

Or start pushing to end the exploitation of our public lands for profit. Start actually enforcing film permit requirements. Set steep rates for film permits (see Missouri's ~$500+ for a few days permit). I think its safe to say "we have enough hunters" now so all the influencers and YouTubers can stop with that nonsense. What got us in this situation with western big game tags is literally exploitation of the resource for profit. Its turned it into a rich man's sport and the common man gets shafted. I'd be fine with hunting content being banned from YouTube and other social media outlets. And it doesn't just end with western big game. Look at the crap show public land turkey hunting has turned into for the very same reason.

AT Hiker

Or start pushing to end the exploitation of our public lands for profit. Start actually enforcing film permit requirements. Set steep rates for film permits (see Missouri's ~$500+ for a few days permit). I think its safe to say "we have enough hunters" now so all the influencers and YouTubers can stop with that nonsense. What got us in this situation with western big game tags is literally exploitation of the resource for profit. Its turned it into a rich man's sport and the common man gets shafted. I'd be fine with hunting content being banned from YouTube and other social media outlets. And it doesn't just end with western big game. Look at the crap show public land turkey hunting has turned into for the very same reason.
I try to keep up with some of the louder voices, just because it's imperative I know what they are pimping out so I can change my pms s if need be.
Anyways, Randy Newberg is definitely one of the louder ones. I appreciate a lot of what he does but completely disagree with him on recruiting new hunters. People like him don't seem to be going anywhere, each time they get push back or someone calls them out, they seem to come back even more eager.

I don't get it. Each episode I watch they run into people, fluffy kitten about point creep, etc…duh you dip chit it's partly your fault.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I try to keep up with some of the louder voices, just because it's imperative I know what they are pimping out so I can change my pms s if need be.
Anyways, Randy Newberg is definitely one of the louder ones. I appreciate a lot of what he does but completely disagree with him on recruiting new hunters. People like him don't seem to be going anywhere, each time they get push back or someone calls them out, they seem to come back even more eager.

I don't get it. Each episode I watch they run into people, ***** about point creep, etc…duh you dip chit it's partly your fault.
He actually talks about it in his latest podcast. Interesting dichotomy. The way that he puts it is that it's a double edged sword: overall hunter numbers nationwide are shrinking, yet western hunting is exploding. You need the hunting advocates to keep laws and lands hunter friendly, yet they can also crowd the lands and increase the point creep.

AT Hiker

He actually talks about it in his latest podcast. Interesting dichotomy. The way that he puts it is that it's a double edged sword: overall hunter numbers nationwide are shrinking, yet western hunting is exploding. You need the hunting advocates to keep laws and lands hunter friendly, yet they can also crowd the lands and increase the point creep.
It is expected that he will defend his endeavors, I bet you he has more money invested in this quest than most of us have saved for retirement.
I'll try to listen to the podcast but it strikes me odd that he acknowledges western hunting is exploding yet he continues to exploit it.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion we don't need anymore hunters. What we need is public support of hunting. Unfortunately, with the cost of hunting going up the demographics of hunters will change as well.

Hduke86

It is expected that he will defend his endeavors, I bet you he has more money invested in this quest than most of us have saved for retirement.
I'll try to listen to the podcast but it strikes me odd that he acknowledges western hunting is exploding yet he continues to exploit it.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion we don't need anymore hunters. What we need is public support of hunting. Unfortunately, with the cost of hunting going up the demographics of hunters will change as well.
Then you have apps and what not like HuntinFool and Gohunt that takes all the legwork out of it and basically give you the best chances and the best spots. It's looking depressing for the younger generation and the opportunities of chasing game out west with ease of access and how long it's going to take to draw some places. I just had this conversation with my youngest (12yr) son about an hour ago. I told him if he really wanted to have an adventure that I suggest moving out there and buying a small parcel of land and work/live out there as much as he can when he gets of age.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled

I'm not arguing at all. I agree that the newer wave of hunting videos has changed hunting in negative ways just as much as Buckmasters and other whitetail hunting videos of yesteryear. Changes in behavior and thought process are sure to follow what people consume, whether they admit it or not. I'll give Randy a lot of credit for doing more than just consuming and exploiting, though, as he also actively engages in the government processes in his state and adjacent states to advocate for hunting rights and access in relation to land and wildlife, as well as communicating and advocating for others to do the same.

I got into western hunting later, but in a much more low key capacity than many. Watching some of these videos has helped me to understand e scouting and laws, so it absolutely has helped to open doors to fulfill lifelong dreams that I consider bucket list items and will likely only get to do once or twice. I've only been western hunting once for myself (CO elk), and I took my daughter once (WY antelope), as well. I hope to go back this fall for mule deer. I just can't afford to go as often as I want, but I don't fault those who can. All of that being said, I may be part of the problem just as much as the next guy who hunts multiple states and species every year and has for years. Fact is that this is where we are and something needs to be done about diminishing access, point creep, and exploding demand. I have some ideas, but no matter what changes come down it will make some or even most people mad. I just don't think that current models in the west are sustainable if the current demand sustains. And, yes, YouTube videos are a big part of this.

Hduke86

One thing that can be done in Wyoming is to open Wilderness areas to nonresidents to hunt without a guide or resident. If I can go and hike,fish, and camp in these areas but I can't hunt these same areas alone or with a couple of guys from my state. We all know they use the excuse of nonresident needing "rescued" but truly know it's a agreement with outfitters and such.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
One thing that can be done in Wyoming is to open Wilderness areas to nonresidents to hunt without a guide or resident. If I can go and hike,fish, and camp in these areas but I can't hunt these same areas alone or with a couple of guys from my state. We all know they use the excuse of nonresident needing "rescued" but truly know it's an agreement with outfitters and such.
It truly is an outfitter welfare program, as well as protecting areas for residents. I don't like the first part, but can't really argue too much with the latter. I do believe that it would spread out the pressure and help with points creep.

Hduke86

It truly is an outfitter welfare program, as well as protecting areas for residents. I don't like the first part, but can't really argue too much with the latter. I do believe that it would spread out the pressure and help with points creep.
Give it about 5 years and we'll have a resident guide that will go hunting whenever cause my youngest is saying he's moving there when he's an "adult" lol.

AT Hiker

One thing that can be done in Wyoming is to open Wilderness areas to nonresidents to hunt without a guide or resident. If I can go and hike,fish, and camp in these areas but I can't hunt these same areas alone or with a couple of guys from my state. We all know they use the excuse of nonresident needing "rescued" but truly know it's an agreement with outfitters and such.
I hate that rule now but when I move out there I'm gonna love it 😛

megalomaniac

Good/ Cheap/ Easy.

it's always been you can combine 2 out of the 3... For example, you can pick Cheap and Easy... but the hunt isn't going to be good. Or pick Good and Easy, but it isn't going to be cheap.

Unfortunately, that traditional mantra is going away fast. Even bad and hard hunts are now relatively expensive as well. And the good/ easy hunts that weren't cheap before are completely out of reach for 95% of hunters financially.

Heck, just travelling out west, camping supplies, and food is hard to swing for a week for less than $1000 unless you carpool with 4 guys.

I'm figuring around $8000 for my AK moose hunt later this year not counting gear... and thats with no guide/ outfitter!!!!! Same hunt would be $30,000 guided/ outfitted.

LanceS4803

Hope you like wind. Its either windy, gusting winds, or gale force winds in WY. I swear thecowboys I've met, are shorter on one leg because they lean into the wind all the time out there.
I used to shoot NRA High Power matches at a range on the WY border of ID. Holy mackerel that wind!! In the standing position, at 200yds, it would just about push you over. Prone was better, not in the wind, but the distances really pushed your bullets around.

JArender

the likely hood of NR licenses going sky high in a lot of states is not a if, it's gonna happen. And when one state does it and they still sell their tag allotment to NR hunters more states will do the same. Why shouldn't they. They can't pay wardens enough on what they are doing now. They have to find some way to increase revenue.

I was setting in camp this year while in iowa and we all discussed cost of NR tags there and all of us completely decided even if they charged $1200 for a deer tag it was worth the experience. I don't know any where you have a legitimate chance at a Free range 200" whitetail deer like hunting Zone 5 and possibly parts of zone 6 of iowa. I got close 2 years ago with a 190.

i'd probably not pay that for a deer tag mule or wt in wy. Maybe parts of AZ and Utah for deer but i'll never draw those tags so i'll never have that issue. I'd pay more for rut elk in every state regardless of trophy status unit known for. there is no experience like it in the woods in North American

Latest posts