200”x3 - pet vs free range

AT Hiker

Have you guys seen these deer? KS, KY and SD. Supposedly all free range. Never mind the bait piles and cross bows😛

Attachments

• 9DA46630-9D81-4697-A7E9-18764AB609C8.jpeg
    9DA46630-9D81-4697-A7E9-18764AB609C8.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 7E497C2C-B65D-4D9C-8544-5DA4A5408461.jpeg
    7E497C2C-B65D-4D9C-8544-5DA4A5408461.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 351
  • CA793CCB-61B6-449C-A356-D2CF1ED77022.jpeg
    CA793CCB-61B6-449C-A356-D2CF1ED77022.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 346

cbhunter

I believe the middle deer was shot off of a game farm in Indiana and checked in as a free range deer in Ky.

Patoka River Whitetails is the name of the operation and i believe they mention it on their page.

First deer had a hole in its ear and believed to have escaped from a game farm. Don't shoot the messenger but that's the info i've been sent

Its possible i have some of the info crossed lol

AT Hiker

Yep, KS deer is an escaped farm pet.

Omega

Can't speak for these guys, but if I connected with one of those I would have no idea if they were pets or not, well except maybe the hole in the ear one. So if I posted about it, I would probably report it as a free range deer, though would correct myself if I found out otherwise.

AT Hiker

I believe the middle deer was shot off of a game farm in Indiana and checked in as a free range deer in Ky.

Patoka River Whitetails is the name of the operation and i believe they mention it on their page.

First deer had a hole in its ear and believed to have escaped from a game farm. Don't shoot the messenger but that's the info i've been sent

Its possible i have some of the info crossed lol
Looks like your correct.

Attachments

• F3EC6907-5AEC-43F9-A7A8-09BB7F69AE43.jpeg
    F3EC6907-5AEC-43F9-A7A8-09BB7F69AE43.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 133

cbhunter

Looks like your correct.
If he really checked it in Kentucky after killing it with a known outfitter in Indiana, that dude is the dumbest of dumbs. The field and stream article says the they confirmed that it was checked in Kentucky.

I mean you KNOW that deer is going to bring attention once checked in. Like you said, brag all you want but call a spade a spade.

As far as the other deer that supposedly escaped and killed on private farm.......anyone would be happy to shoot it and would have done so. No one would look at it and say....."i'm gonna give that deer a pass because i suspect it escaped 10 miles away on a farming operation". Congrats to him on an amazing deer but it just is what it is as far as not being able to enter it in the books.

Kirk

The question is, at what point does a "high fenced" deer become a free range deer? once it out of the fence is it 100Yds, 2 miles, 5 miles 3 weeks a month? If a buck that size walks out in front of me and is legal to shoot, I will shoot it.

Some (not all) of those monster bucks that were taken at Oak Ridge many years ago were in high fenced areas.

Shed Hunter

The question is, at what point does a "high fenced" deer become a free range deer? once it out of the fence is it 100Yds, 2 miles, 5 miles 3 weeks a month? If a buck that size walks out in front of me and is legal to shoot, I will shoot it.

Some (not all) of those monster bucks that were taken at Oak Ridge many years ago were in high fenced areas.
From the articles any deer walking on free range unintentionally released is legal to check in and it is encouraged they are shot as long as it's killed fairly, but record books can't accept them

beefydeer

They are free range, inside a high fence enclosure.

I have been told by people that hunt next to deer farms that sometimes a hole will appear in the fence and they have killed some of the big ones that come through the hole.

Andy S.

If a buck that size walks out in front of me and is legal to shoot, I will shoot it.
Agree, as most would. With that said, I would be 100% transparent about high fence operation nearby, just as he has been thus far. The hunter seems to be humble and transparent about it, but others seem to want to run to his defense that he killed a "free range" buck etc etc. If that buck does not scream genetically enhanced high fence buck, I don't know what to say to you.

rem270

The one who shot the deer in Indiana is a blooming idiot. How did he suspect he'd get away with that? The Kansas kid seems top notch. Seems like he was straight up about it from the start that it had a hole in his ear and possibly even contacted the deer farm. I would have shot that thing too.

backyardtndeer

Congratulations to the boy in Kansas, he still had to make the shot. That deer may not have been afraid of people, but he could have gone anywhere after escaping his enclosure.

megalomaniac

Why do high fence deer usually have whiter racks than free range deer? Seems any time you see a 200in deer with an unusually white rack, it came off a high fence.

That first buck should have been darted and used as a breeder buck.

The last deer is prob free range.

LanceS4803

The Kansas kid seems top notch. Seems like he was straight up about it from the start that it had a hole in his ear and possibly even contacted the deer farm. I would have shot that thing too.

He said his heart sank when he saw the hole in the ear.

Latest posts