20 ga Woodie Set up

Gobble4me757

I've got a lil 22" barrel weatherby element 20 and am wanting to make it an awesome lil woodie South bama timber killing masher. Most if not all my shots are 30 or so yards and in either in a flooded little timber hole or sitting on the creek bank. That said, I was recommended to buy the Jebs Close range/timber choke at final flight the other day. Thoughts on this choke? Other recs?

Yes I know I've killed em with my 12 with an IC choke but wanting something that will stomp em when I hit em from a 20 ga.

Also, what would y'all suggest ammo wise? I'm considering boss #7s as I don't duck hunt much and want to make it count. I'm open to suggestions though as I'm just a redneck creek bank duck hunter lol

IMG_4130.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg
IMG_1421.jpeg

Gobble4me757

That's awesome. I see you don't dare take your beautiful 20g turkey gun dredging through all that 🤣
Haha man to hunt these swamps with the sand I wouldn't dare 😂 I had a lot better pics but lost about 2,000 pictures due to dropping my phone/credit card/ID in a west Tenn duck hole this past year from 20 ft up down 10ft under 😂

JCDEERMAN

Haha man to hunt these swamps with the sand I wouldn't dare 😂 I had a lot better pics but lost about 2,000 pictures due to dropping my phone/credit card/ID in a west Tenn duck hole this past year from 20 ft up down 10ft under 😂
That sucks!!!!! Yeah I definitely feel blessed that I can now afford to have a gun dedicated for every occasion.

GOODWIN

I've got a lil 22" barrel weatherby element 20 and am wanting to make it an awesome lil woodie South bama timber killing masher. Most if not all my shots are 30 or so yards and in either in a flooded little timber hole or sitting on the creek bank. That said, I was recommended to buy the Jebs Close range/timber choke at final flight the other day. Thoughts on this choke? Other recs?

Yes I know I've killed em with my 12 with an IC choke but wanting something that will stomp em when I hit em from a 20 ga.

Also, what would y'all suggest ammo wise? I'm considering boss #7s as I don't duck hunt much and want to make it count. I'm open to suggestions though as I'm just a redneck creek bank duck hunter lol

View attachment 179429View attachment 179430View attachment 179431
I like a compact shotty for turkeys but for swinging on ducks especially woodies buzzin thru timber it would not be my choice. But everyone is different. Factory IC with #4s would be in my gun. Close shots you will not be handicapped with a 20ga. Pretty spot

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
At those ranges steel #4's should be the ticket. If you want to hit them with more authority, steel #3's are perfect. Wouldn't go any bigger in a 20.
Bismuth and other loads can pattern poorly or too tight, even with good chokes.

MickThompson

I like a compact shotty for turkeys but for swinging on ducks especially woodies buzzin thru timber it would not be my choice. But everyone is different. Factory IC with #4s would be in my gun. Close shots you will not be handicapped with a 20ga. Pretty spot
They're even worse for whoever is sitting beside you.

#4 steel or #5 bismuth are my go-to's. I really like Kent's #5 bismuth pheasant load for woodies and I haven't seen pattern issues with typical wingshooting chokes.

Gobble4me757

Appreciate the feedback guys! I'm looking for a load/choke combo that will sho nuff stomp em and not have em go on down and die on down the creek. I've shot the 4s with a modified, IC, and L mod choke on the 870 12 but with cheaper ammo of all types from black cloud to federal etc

MickThompson

Appreciate the feedback guys! I'm looking for a load/choke combo that will sho nuff stomp em and not have em go on down and die on down the creek. I've shot the 4s with a modified, IC, and L mod choke on the 870 12 but with cheaper ammo of all types from black cloud to federal etc
Don't overlook shot placement on woodies. Some of my guys just can't catch up to them and there's nothing that'll run like a wing-tipped wood duck. I cut a rusty BB out of the wing joint on one a couple years ago. Tough little birds with an incredible will to survive.

4scout

Beautiful ducks and probably my favorite duck to eat...always very tender. I always liked the Winchester Blindside #3's for timber holes or 30 yard shots. If you can hit them it really does the job. Good luck..

scn

If you can shoot, a fairly open choke and some TSS #9. If it will stomp a gobbler, it will stomp a woody.

If you have trouble hitting them, it likely would be an expensive deal to shoot a limit with the TSS.

Gobble4me757

If you can shoot, a fairly open choke and some TSS #9. If it will stomp a gobbler, it will stomp a woody.

If you have trouble hitting them, it likely would be an expensive deal to shoot a limit with the TSS.
Shoot man I run through a box of apex 9s or more every Turkey season in multiple states if I used em for ducks I would be slab out and broke! 😂

Gobble4me757

Appreciate the replies y'all… I ended up going with some boss #7s and a Carlsons black cloud mid range choke. I know the boss for woodys but heck I only shoot about 20 shells a year at em over 3/4 hunts so it should last me a while.

Mattt

Spend the time shooting lead at clay and it won't matter what load as long as it patterns decent. 20 kills just as good as 12. I run cheap 3" remmy steel #4 on waterfowl,turkey,and pheasant. Keep in mind old expert shooters go back to the .410. They know how to shoot.

Gobble4me757

Spend the time shooting lead at clay and it won't matter what load as long as it patterns decent. 20 kills just as good as 12. I run cheap 3" remmy steel #4 on waterfowl,turkey,and pheasant. Keep in mind old expert shooters go back to the .410. They know how to shoot.
I'm not a bad shot as I usually shoot 20-24 out of 25 on a skeet round. I don't have time to spend at a range much. I just get tired of them going down all the way down the creek or blowing feathers off. Just wanted some "umph" to a set up