1st 2013 Bird! 8 beards with pics

Deez

Well its been a tough hunt thus far and have come close on a couple of occasions to closing the deal, but something would always go wrong. Most of my frustrations have been birds shutting up after pitch down and being henned up....which this bird did both. I was in a good spot surrounded by long beards gobbling and the the sun was up....then the pain hit :eek:...after taking care of nature with my shotgun beside me I eased back to my tree. After about an hour of listening I decided it was time to make a move. I started a stalk on a strutting bird (1 of 4) in a sage field. I belly crawled for about 75 yards. I saw his fan drop and thought the gig was up....until I realized he was breeding a hen. I used this opportunity to move even closer and was able to drop him at about 40 yards. This will be my first turkey mount. 8 beards: 10.5", 4", 4", 3.5", 3", 2.5", 2", 1.5" and possibly a ninth @ 1". Spurs 3/4. Weight 19.25 pounds. The pics of the beards don't show all of them....sorry...will post pics when I get him back from the taxidermist!!

TurkeyPic_zps32f39abf.jpg

TurkeyPic2_zpsd79c9030.jpg

Grizzly Johnson

Nice bird, congrats.... Not to rain on your parade, but the majority of what can be seen in that pic looks to be a split beard.... A true multibeard has skin separation between the different beards.

Southern Sportsman

Grizzly Johnson said:
Nice bird, congrats.... Not to rain on your parade, but the majority of what can be seen in that pic looks to be a split beard.... A true multibeard has skin separation between the different beards.

X2. Its a gereat bird, no doubt, but it looks like 4 beards to me. Maybe 3 depending on what it looks like behind your thumb. Better than anything ive killed in a while though. Congrats.

Latest posts