1911 help

TiptonHunter

Ok, I know I'll prob sound stupid by asking this, but I have a question about problems with my 1911 I bought used from a friend. I've had it for a little while, and it's the first 1911 I've owned. When I finally went to shoot it a few days ago, when I fired it, the clip ejected - more than once. It also had problems ejecting the casings and it was brand new shells. Any ideas on what may be wrong??

Model70Man

When the mag ejected, your grip may have caused it to eject. The ejecting issues can be a number of things. It doesn't like the ammo, bad extractor, limp wrising, recoil spring, dirty, etc.

infoman jr.

TiptonHunter said:
infoman jr. said:
Try a different ammo.

I will tomorrow and let you know. Thanks. I figured the ammo to be a factor, but would that effect the magazine coming out as well?
Wouldn't think so, but a good quick and easy way to troubleshoot gun malfunctions is to systematically change aspects until the problem gets better. Or if you are so inclined to use six sigma tools, you can use minitab and run a test plan while turning on and off many different variables. But for now, let's try ammo :)

Jksig229

I shoot Winchester out of mine regularly, if it were me I might try making sure the magazine catch is not loose, when you insert the mag in give a hard smack at the bottom. Also it could be jamming due to a loose mag. That has happened to me before.

Bambi Buster

The first thing that would be helpful to know about this firemarm in order to help diagnose the problem would be the manufacturer. Sounds a lot like the kind of problems encountered with a "parts gun" cobbled together by a shadetree gunsmith.

TiptonHunter

It's a Wyoming Arms - i know not the finest weapon, but it still shouldn't perform this bad should it??

Either way, i'll try the different ammo this afternoon and let you know the progress - thank you all for your advice too. I really appreciate it!!

Jksig229

Bambi Buster said:
The first thing that would be helpful to know about this firemarm in order to help diagnose the problem would be the manufacturer. Sounds a lot like the kind of problems encountered with a "parts gun" cobbled together by a shadetree gunsmith.

x2

SES

The first Springfield 1911 I ever owned had this problem with the casings not ejecting properly. I sent it back to them and they extended the ejector port. No more ejection problems.

rdl65

A lot can be seen by standing on the ejection side of the weapon while someone else fires it. Do this from a safe distance and observe what is going on when you fire it.

My .40 caliber Springfield was having ejection problems and I did this. I could see it was short stroking some times. I replaced the recoil spring with a lighter one and the problem went away.

firefox

Easiest fix towards the mag ejecting is trying a BRAND NEW magazine...as for your ejection issues pick any chapter from any book on the 1911