17 Reminton?

Hunter 257W

I have one but have shot it very little. My rifle is one of the Remington 700 Varmint models with the nice synthetic stocks. I've probably had it 20 years or more and doubt it's ben fired 50 times. I do load for it as I do for all the rifles I own but have only tried maybe 2 loads. Groups look huge even if they are relatively small because of the tiny size of the bullet holes. :) Mine has shot something like 1moa at 100 yards. Handling the bullets is tedious because they are so small. Getting powder into the tiny case necks is tedious too and requires a special powder funnel. I need to get it out and give it a chance to see what it can do but ever since groundhog numbers went to nothing years ago I've lost my enthusiasm for such rifles.

Yotehntr

With all the reloading supplies disappearing I saw Winchester Staball 6.5 available and looked it up (for my 22-250) after I got it I looked to see how it would do in my 17 remington. It puts out some serious velocities in the 17 rem. I loaded some up and worked my way up to a max load (no psi signs) shot it across my chronograph with 30 grain bulets and got 3830 fps. In the past I was getting a little over 3600 (can't remember the exact number) I'm pretty impressed with it. My Chrony is pretty old and out of 3 shots I only got it to read 1 time. I've got a new one on the way I'll be interested in seeing if that velocity will hold true. I'll be using it for fur friendly coyote rounds if so.

Hunter 257W

Sounds like a realistic velocity to me for a 30 grain bullet since it's supposed to do around 4,000 with a 25. I've currently got mine sighted in for a load using the Hornady 25 grain. I have some kind of Berger bullet too but not even sure I've tried any of them. The fact that you can watch the bullet impact with no disturbance of sight picture through the scope does make the 17 very interesting!

Yotehntr

Mr Big you are 100% correct I've had the 17 bullets go through my target perfectly sideways lol

DaveB, I haven't worked up a load with it for my 22-250, just my 17 rem and haven't really got a load dialed in for it. I just checked for psi signs and velocity. Looking at the data it seems like psi gets pretty high with the 22-250. I got lucky and grabbed some varget so I'll be sticking with it and using the staball for my 17 rem with 30 gr bullets (if I can work up an accurate load)