132 Days....

BSK

I swear I enjoy the prep work. planting, and planning more than the kill now. Weird, I know.
Not weird at all. I definitely enjoy the "management" more than the hunting. I've killed a TON of deer in my career. Nothing new there. But watching how the management changes the dynamic of the property over time is what really fires me up.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

I'm envious you got yours done. I've been a bit distracted as of late and haven't even started. Not sure if I'm really going to plant this summer or not.
Well, there were several rain events forecasted, but they never came. So, may need to go wash my truck. No doubt you've had your hands full with family stuff!

TNTreeman

No doubt about it - me too. I just wish we had a cab tractor with AC 🤣. Actually, the tractor I was on didn't even have power steering. To say I'm sore is an understatement.
Yep, I'm 49 and all day on a tractor beats me to death. Ground bees are the worst. My main hunting ground has a big cab Kubota with air, almost feels like your cheating . My little Boston terrier sits up there with and we get it done. I have a John Deere that's totally open and a Kubota with a canopy. The canopy is great for keeping the sun off of you.

Specializedjon

I get that!

Heck, I really admire those who love the challenge of bow-hunting so much they hunt with a bow all season long. Good for them!
Let me clarify....I sit in a tree with a bow until rifle 😂 . I haven't killed a buck with a bow yet. I just look cool. Kinda like how I golf.

rem270

I swear I enjoy the prep work. planting, and planning more than the kill now. Weird, I know.
I've always said I like doing that and checking trail cams more than hunting. Used to my buddy and I went to our properties together and put them out July 4th. No reason on that date we just started doing that years ago. Now the cell cams have taken over my life and it's hard for me to run the "regular" cams now but I might put 2 or 3 out.

Now that turkey season is over I'm glad Jon made this post because now I'm hyped for deer season.

BSK

I'm a "regular cam" guy (cause I'm too cheap to buy the cell cams). It's like Christmas morning every time I pull cards. I love the feeling.
Pulling cards and analyzing data. That's my life now! Love it!

I'm sticking to the old-school cams. My use of all high-res video and lack of cell signal in my area prevents me from switching. I just have to eat the high cost of driving to my place to pull cards.

JCDEERMAN

Yep, I'm 49 and all day on a tractor beats me to death. Ground bees are the worst. My main hunting ground has a big cab Kubota with air, almost feels like your cheating . My little Boston terrier sits up there with and we get it done. I have a John Deere that's totally open and a Kubota with a canopy. The canopy is great for keeping the sun off of you.
We have a Ford with a canopy, but my cousin was on it with the rake and box blade. I've already told the guys I'll put down money for a cab tractor with air. Would be a game changer, and yes, I'd love for my daughter to sit in there with me!

Ski

I love this place. Every time I feel like a weirdo I come here and realize I'm in like company :)

Not weird at all. I definitely enjoy the "management" more than the hunting. I've killed a TON of deer in my career. Nothing new there. But watching how the management changes the dynamic of the property over time is what really fires me up.

Yes! That's my favorite part. It's almost like a multi-faceted puzzle or riddle I'm always trying to solve. It consumes me. Nothing much in life is more gratifying than seeing deer(and other wildlife) utilize and enjoy the habitat improvements I put in place for them. There's something about watching a young buck grow over the years, how he goes from wet behind the ears to being a stupid teenager to a womanizing stud to an man recluse. Each one has their own unique personality. My favorite critter on the planet for sure. Bitter sweet to kill one, but simultaneously so rewarding. And they taste good!