12 Gauge 3" Magnum ( Old Fart ?)

S

Smo

Don't cheat and look it up , use your brain....What little us old farts have left... :party:

When did they first come out ?

When do you first remember seeing one? Brand of gun?

H

Harold Money jr

The earliest one I can think of was “bowhoop” Nash Buckinghams gun. It was a side by side with 30+ inch barrels and choked full and full. That was in the 1910’s I believe, but I doubt it was the first.

B

blondebear

i'm gonna toss out a guess at 1968.

bought and paid for my 1st shotgun at the age of 12. purchased at joes the motorist friend and waited 6 months to get it ordered in. mossberg pump with a polychoke. made daggone sure it fired 3" magnums or i didn't want it.

remember my uncle had a gun that fired the magnums and bragged how it knocked the turkeys down. guessing maybe 5 years previous.

can't wait for the answer !

H

Hawk

Chaneylake":2zbykg41 said:
Pryor to 1973 or 74

I shot a Browning 3" magnum in high school. Class of 64. Still have it. There were a few Winchester Model 12 three inch guns around at that time.

Sako

Sako

The Winchester Model 12 came out in 3 inch sometime in the 30's.... I think it was 1935 or 1938... I am not saying this was the first 3 inch but I am aware of this model that far back

S

Smo

Sako":3vhd2ate said:
The Winchester Model 12 came out in 3 inch sometime in the 30's.... I think it was 1935 or 1938... I am not saying this was the first 3 inch but I am aware of this model that far back

That is the info I have as well.

Mid 30’s , I did not realize they had been around that long.

I always thought late 50’s or early 60’s.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

Harold Money jr":1dw1bf5z said:
The earliest one I can think of was “bowhoop” Nash Buckinghams gun. It was a side by side with 30+ inch barrels and choked full and full. That was in the 1910’s I believe, but I doubt it was the first.

Excellent story at link for any who might be interested in waterfowling and outdoor writer legends.

"The Legend of Bo Whoop More than sixty years ago, the South’s most famous shotgun went missing. Here’s the story of how it was found...."

http://gardenandgun.com/feature/the-legend-of-bo-whoop/

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

all 3 inch magnums sound like Bo Whoop at a long distance

sorta like Ka Whap on a deer rifle when deer is sorta long distance from hunter and you are a good bit away

H

Harold Money jr

Well what is the answer? I have not looked or googled anything. I’m just wondering what the correct answer is.

S

Smo

Harold Money jr":1192xcwu said:
Well what is the answer? I have not looked or googled anything. I’m just wondering what the correct answer is.

Sako had the same answer I did in the mid 30’s.

From my understanding they were mostly SXS used for hunting ducks.

B

bull

AH Fox started in 1923 I believe with their HE Grade 12 guage. I'll dig through some old books here to see if I can find anything earlier.