10x Binoculars

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Looking to buy my father a pair of 10x42 binoculars for a Western hunt I'm taking him on in October. I use Swarovski SLC's which are excellent but since he will not use them often, I'm going to keep budget around $1000.

Anyone have experience with the Leica Trinovid HD or Zeiss HD binoculars? I've read reviews on both at Rokslide, taking them with a grain of salt as there is a lot of fan boy bias on there. I know there are a few Western hunters on here whom might have experience. Lastly, I will not entertain Vortex as an option.

LanceS4803

wsm":1gzoc1g9 said:
I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 and I think they are awesome for the money you pay.

Or for the money of Swaros, bump it up to Razor line from Vortex. A lot of bang for the buck.

TNRifleman

I had a pair of the Zeiss HD's. 2 weeks after getting them one of the eye cups fell off. This was three days before our vacation where I was going to use them a lot. Zeiss customer service was not great and I after I got them repaired, I got rid of them.

Now using Vortex Viper HD'a which are great for $500.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
TNRifleman":1jg9lwp3 said:
I had a pair of the Zeiss HD's. 2 weeks after getting them one of the eye cups fell off. This was three days before our vacation where I was going to use them a lot. Zeiss customer service was not great and I after I got them repaired, I got rid of them.

Now using Vortex Viper HD'a which are great for $500.
I have never had to send anything back to Zeiss but I have heard a lot of negativity regarding their customer service, which is unfortunate.

Leica eye relief is too short appears since he's an eye glass wearer. 8x would be fine though.

I may just get him some SLC's as well.

wiles

Check out Meopta, I went with these over the zeiss conquest hd and have been very happy with them. Customer service was awesome when I lost the protective lens caps, overnighted a set for free! Around $900 new but if you are will watch rockslide classifieds, might pick up a used set for $700-800

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
wiles":1hv6yzo9 said:
Check out Meopta, I went with these over the zeiss conquest hd and have been very happy with them. Customer service was awesome when I lost the protective lens caps, overnighted a set for free! Around $900 new but if you are will watch rockslide classifieds, might pick up a used set for $700-800
Forgot about Meopta, they would be a good choice as well. What specifically did you like about them over the Zeiss?

Haven't handled a set of the Meopta's in A while but remember they were a bit bulkier than most other binos though. Not a big concern though.

wiles

They just fit me better overall and I had heard great things about meoptas customer service. The bigger binocs felt more stable in my hands and the eye cups were more comfortable. I had both to test at dawn and dusk and couldn't tell any difference between the two, so went with what felt the best in my hands and against my eyes. I also had an experience with zeiss's customer service on a rifle scope, they made it right so I can't say it was bad, but it definetly wasn't timely as it took over 6 weeks to get my scope back.

vonb

Try a pair of the Cabelas Instinct Euro HDs. They are on sale right now for $974.99. These are Meopta MeoStar B1 binos and are every bit as clear as Swarovski.

I have both a pair of the Zeiss Victory FL 10x42s and the Cabelas Instinct Euro 8x32 HDs. I can't tell a bit of difference other than to say if there is any difference, the Cabelas may be a hair brighter.

PillsburyDoughboy

markwondi":rdfgeld2 said:
Sorry guys but I will not be buying Vortex anything as I mentioned in my original post.

I prefer to stick to quality optics; life is too short.

Leupold ! Darn skippy ! Vortex can't even !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowwolfe

I owned high end Leicas and Zeiss FD's 10X. Both were outstanding and had zero issues with both and they were used to the extreme. After buying some Nikon Monarchs sold both the Leica and Zeiss. The Nikons were equal in all regards.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Finally had a chance today to compare the conquest HD, Euro HD and Trinovid HD's.

The Euro HD overall were the best, although I did get a slight yellow hue coming through on them. Outside of that, the contrast and sharpness were excellent and they handled CA very well. They are a pretty great optic, although not quite as good as my Swaro SLC's. For $700 less, they are darn close and an excellent value.

I did end up buying a pair of conquest HD's in 8x32 for myself. While I love my 10x42 Swaro's, I've been wanting a smaller, more compact Bino when I'm hunting here in TN.

PillsburyDoughboy

markwondi":1nmd2z44 said:
Finally had a chance today to compare the conquest HD, Euro HD and Trinovid HD's.

The Euro HD overall were the best, although I did get a slight yellow hue coming through on them. Outside of that, the contrast and sharpness were excellent and they handled CA very well. They are a pretty great optic, although not quite as good as my Swaro SLC's. For $700 less, they are darn close and an excellent value.

I did end up buying a pair of conquest HD's in 8x32 for myself. While I love my 10x42 Swaro's, I've been wanting a smaller, more compact Bino when I'm hunting here in TN.

Was this in a showroom under artificial lights .???

Most Euro optics will have that yellow hue tint under artificial light conditions . The higher the quality of Euro glass the more yellow the hue for whatever reason . It has something to do with coatings .

Get them out in a field under natural light and that all seems to magically disappear .

I've seen some cheap scopes that people will rave about look pretty sharp in the showroom . That's because manufacturers know how to manipulate the coatings for artificial lights because they know 99%!of purchases will be made under artificial light with no real field testing.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
PillsburyDoughboy":2fo0qjoz said:
markwondi":2fo0qjoz said:

Was this in a showroom under artificial lights .???

Most Euro optics will have that yellow hue tint under artificial light conditions . The higher the quality of Euro glass the more yellow the hue for whatever reason . It has something to do with coatings .

Get them out in a field under natural light and that all seems to magically disappear .

I've seen some cheap scopes that people will rave about look pretty sharp in the showroom . That's because manufacturers know how to manipulate the coatings for artificial lights because they know 99%!of purchases will be made under artificial light with no real field testing.

LOL, no. This was outside of the store, I would never pick an optic based on aritifical light inside a store.

Latest posts