10 pounds of beef for the Holidays

BamaProud

Kroger has their Bone in Ribeye's for about half price. I wish I would have known about a week earlier...but I should be able to age these a bit over 2 weeks to eat New Years day.
iRRb0ww.jpg

Mike Belt

Just tried my first deep fried rib eye slab. It won't be the last. Cooked for about 3 minutes per pound and then let sit for 1/2 hour. I think I need to back off 3 or 4 minutes of total cooking time next go round. I was impressed. Injected with creole butter and rubbed down with a seasoning it comes out lightly crusty on the outside and medium on the inside.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I can't believe how much I am looking forward to you cooking these.
Lol especially since I won't even get any.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

BamaProud

Yes, its a mini-fridge set at 38 degrees.

Its been 16 days, I weighed one of them yesterday and its lost 15% of its original weight. If I remember correctly the one I aged 30 days only lost about 13% total weight. I plan on cooking them on New Years Eve.

huntinkev

That looks good. Can you explain your set up? Looks like your fan is blowing to back wall, what is on the plate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaProud

Its just a mini-fridge with a digital thermometer. The fridge has a dial on the back to adjust the temperature. Optimally you want 37-38 degrees for dry aging. The fan is probably bigger than I need, but the air-flow is supposed to help remove surface moisture from the meat and limit the potential for bad bacteria to get a foothold on the meat and grow. There is Baking soda on the plate to absorb any odors and moisture. A few things I read on line recommended the baking soda, but I'm not sure its necessary.

This is my 4th or 5th time aging beef and it always turns out great. You can literally turn a $5.99 cut of meat into a $30.00-$40.00 cut with not much more than a little patience.

pressfit

I was going to age a whole loin once.. but what I read , you had to wrap it in bath towels and change them ever so often..

pressfit

BamaProud":1m3d3qwe said:
I would think wrapping meat would lead to the development of bad bacteria/mold.
This is the instructions I found years ago..lol

1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.

2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.

3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.

4. Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)

5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired, and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.

6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.

7. To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual. In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton "shrouds" during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.

BamaProud

The only guidance I have found online that recommends covering the meat in any way is from Alton Brown who suggests loosely covering the meat with paper towels for the first few days. I think I did that the first time, but never since.

WTM

wrapping in cheesecloth for the first 3 days dries the outer layer more rapidly. the more fat on a 107 rib protects more meat. a 109 is fine to do as long as they dont trim too much. a 109 express doesnt dry age well. also remember, unless you buy direct, those ribs they sell at kroger are wet aged for 14 days.

i bought a half rib (9-12) at krogers and they trim too much. actually they made it into a standing rib roast, lol. it was good Christmas though.

Latest posts