• Help Support TNDeer:

0-3 Lifetime License Price Increase??

scn

Supporter
Just a guess, but I suspect it was adjusted for inflation since the last time it was changed. The adult license started at $1200 and was adjusted upwards after several years.

$320 for a lifetime of hunting and fishing remains a pretty good bargain.

mike243

Can somebody show where they made piles of $ last year? and prices have stayed steady for a long time unlike every thing else in the world, somebody has to be the bad guy and think ahead in order to stay in the game imo,

JeepKuntry

I’m not sure I see the justification. TWRA has made record revenues this past year, and the lifetime sportsman revenues go into a trust fund, anyway.
Sales peaked because of covid. Once other things open and life goes back to normal, you will see sales decrease again. Lifetime licenses will burn TWRA in the end. I doubt they can invest and keep pace with trends in say 15-20 years. Many sportsman took advantage and bought lifetime for all their kids and grandkids.

Remington700

Still a good deal if you consider what a yearly Sportsman license costs. I purchased mine about 20 years ago. It was worth it and still is. I do see them having funding issues in the future and believe the licenses will not be a good thing for the department. I see them finding loop holes and charging for things in the future.

TAFKAP

Grateful to have gotten all 3 TAFKAP boys their licenses. I wish I could get mine, but there's always something more pressing to do with $2000 than send it to Nashville.

Bagg-it Tag-it

The lifetime licenses are a blessing and a curse for TWRA. When they dreamed it up...it seemed like a good idea as interest rates were higher and they could make more off of that $200 principal each year....well those historical rates they were counting on have edged lower and are staying there. So they don't make money on it that way. The agency was to make $ on the sale of the license but also from the federal excise tax on ammo, boat, and hunting gear called Pittman Robertson. When TWRA can show higher numbers of license sales (and they can count those lifetime licenses as a license every year) they get a bigger slice of Pittman Robertson. Everyone has an opinion and they all differ...but I think spending $320 on a lifetime of hunting and fishing in TN is still a deal. I got all 3 of my kids their lifetime licenses and if they were under 2 or not even born yet....I'd still pay $320.

2in1shot

Ttt. Looks like it is official. Save yourself some money and get them before the increase.

Still a bargain.

Gravey

I bought both of my kids theirs before they were even 1 year old. My daughter may never use hers but its there if she decides that she wants to.
I did the same. My daughter is 21 and fished maybe 5 times. My son will be 18 in twelve days and has paid for his easily. Too cheap to not gamble and I’m not a gambling man.

spctbone

Supporter
I wish they would come up with a lifetime license that covers everything the Disabled Veteran License doesn't. For example Trout, quota fees, type 94 license ect. I'd pay $500.00 for a lifetime of not having to pay all those other costs

Rakkin6

Bought one for my nephew 5 years ago when he was born. Can't remember what I paid for it. It seems like it was about $200.00

Rakkin6

I wish they would come up with a lifetime license that covers everything the Disabled Veteran License doesn't. For example Trout, quota fees, type 94 license ect. I'd pay $500.00 for a lifetime of not having to pay all those other costs
I have my 100% disabled veterans license and while I would like it to cover everything it saves me $165.00 a year for a sportsman's license so I am appreciative of it. And honestly I have never needed anything else so I may be looking.at it through just my perspective also.

1908_Cubbies

I did the same. My daughter is 21 and fished maybe 5 times. My son will be 18 in twelve days and has paid for his easily. Too cheap to not gamble and I’m not a gambling man.

Completely agree with this! I wasn't this smart. I bought it for my son when he was born. He turns 18 in a few weeks and may have used it for fishing twice. When my daughter came along, I decided not to "waste" my money on another one... Of course, she goes everywhere outdoors with me and I have had to buy her license every year since she was old enough to need it.

waynesworld

I buy all my grandkids that live here a lisc and if they would let me i would buy my grandson in SD one. I have a friend who was on a group that was trying to develop a lifetime lisc for SD. He said he had seen models from all different states that had it and it was a money maker for the state and a great deal for the kids that grew up and hunted. They have some studies on how many kids with the lisc grow up and either move or don't hunt is a lot. I know the increase is a lot but also know one of the problems govt has a hard time increasing fee's. They should just have inflation increase tied to inflation rate to prevent the large jumps. Than if the fee needs to be increased they should be able to justify with a particular cost. I know the TWRA and the hunting rules and fee's are different then most departments but I am sure it is still not easy or popular.

TheLBLman

Many are overlooking the very best reasons for buying your young child or grandchild or any child one of these LIFETIME licenses!

1) These children will be much more likely to become LIFETIME sportsmen for the simple reason they will not have to purchase a license to gain entry or participate in the sport.

Many are "somewhat" interested in checking into or re-kindling their prior hunting/fishing childhood activities, at some point in their adulthood. But having to buy a license, often stops them immediately, such as when one college student invites another to go fishing, hunting.

2) Related to #1, but how many of our children & grandchildren move away to some other state? If they have a LIFETIME license, they can hunt & fish anytime they come back to visit their family in Tennessee!

This just even more continues to increase the likelihood that they, and their children will be LIFETIME sportsmen.

It's a heck of great investment into the future of hunting & fishing.

Bone Collector

Supporter
Still a deal at $320. I always hate to see an increase in license fees but I wouldn't even think twice about $320 for a kids lifetime license.
agree 1000% If someone told me my dad could have gotten me my hunting and fishing license for the rest of my life when I was an infant/small child and he didn't.... I would smack him. 😂 J/K

I didn't live here until I was 16, so it wasn't an option we even knew about. That being said, I bought my sons for him and he's not really into either hunting or fishing, but goes some and may grow to like it. If he doesn't it was worth the gamble.

Dbllunger

Supporter
As a consumer, I have a VERY hard time seeing a downside to purchasing a lifetime license for children or grandchildren. At best, these kids will never have to pay for hunting or fishing in Tennessee for their entire life. At worst they never hunt or fish and your money goes to support what you love to spend your time and money on.

Is the TWRA perfect? Hell no. Could they be better? Hell yes. Overall my general feeling is that there is a lot more good than bad that comes out of the TWRA and for that I'm grateful.

I bought them for both my sons and while at this time neither are really into hunting that much, my hope and feeling is that the desire will return at some point. I know with them both being full time college students with jobs as well that spare time is limited. In undergrad school I hunted all the time. Once grad school started the opportunities and desire dwindled. It came back fast and I remember hunting that first season after school and it was like going for the first time as a kid I was so excited.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts