Here's the original thread for developing a wet-cured venison rump "City Ham".

My initial goal was to create a venison reproduction of the traditionally available store-bought baked ham. Using a brine, wet cure the hindquarter for a number of days, then warm bake it in the oven for some spiral-sliced goodness.

But since I know very little about the science of curing meats, I don't know how to explain why my experiment failed, but it ultimately did. My goal of producing a whole-leg ham, similar to say the "Honey Baked" variety, was a failure. Good thing, since this stuff was a million times better. Smoke-roasting the meat gave an incredibly diverse taste-testing of the entire ham. Each muscle group cooked differently, offering various styles of meat from the same dinner. Pardon my lack of butchery knowledge, but the outer muscles were slightly dry, but with incredible flavor and a dramatic smoke ring. Inner meats were stringy and moist, much like a pulled pork roast. And best of all, the "shank" meat was like a good pastrami…cured and smoked.

I didn't know what the end result was going to be, but I ended up with a delicious roast venison, like none I've ever had. By no means is this a "recipe", but if you follow similar cooking methods, you'll really enjoy this.

At last mention, the leg was hung in the fridge to dry overnight. I think removing the meat from the brine, to soak in mildly flavored water, was a good move. After hanging all night, the leg sat on the counter for a few hours to come to room temperature. Using an offset barrel smoker, cooked the meat at around 225 degrees for about 3 hours. I used apple and maple woods, fueling the fire with hickory briquettes. After an hour of initial bare smoking, I started basting the leg with a 50/50 mix of honey & mustard, cut with some water. I also draped it in thin strips of salt pork to keep it from drying out on the smoker.

After 3 hours, I diced about 2 lbs of red potatoes, one red onion, and a bag of baby carrots into the bottom of a large roasting pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, pour in about 1" of water, and lay the meat on top. I ended up using some of the original salt pork in the collard greens, but left a few strips on top. I also coated it in a Dijon mustard and honey "glaze". Cover the pan in foil, and roast at 300 degrees for about 3 hours.

Here's the final product. Very delicious. I was extremely surprised that it came apart as extensively as it did. We'll use the bones for some venison stock. The drippings in the pan will also be a starter for some other stock.

Everything important in life was learned from Mary Jo Kopechne.