For those of you who may not have a whole bunch of experience on this topic, and as a refresher to us all, here are a few thoughts based on experience from a combined 150 years of deer hunting (in my group) and hundreds of blood trails.

First of all, allow me to suggest that almost all of these scenarios are arrow wounds and recoveries. Not to say that there aren't also a whole bunch of muzzleloader and rifle kills mixed in for experience. Mostly, unless otherwise posted, our discussion will concern blood loss, and/or infection, as the primary killer of these deer.

Note that high speed bullets kill animals with not only blood loss, but also hydrostatic shock. In layman terms...the bullet hits the animal at such a high rate of speed that it sends a "shock wave" (think ripple in a pool) through the animal that causes massive tissue damage.

A broadhead slices veins and arteries which bleed and cause shock from blood loss and eventually death.
The more blood loss the quicker the death.

[b]A double lung[/b] shot deer has extreme difficulty getting oxygen to the blood and brain and quickly looses consciousness and death comes quickly. MOST of the time, you will likely see or hear the deer crash.

It is possible, in VERY RARE cases, (I have witnessed a few) that a deer can survive a double lung shot with both entry and exit wounds prevalent.

A thoraxic surgeon friend who has seen this himself in deer (and people), explains that IF a deer has the right mix of fat and hide, and has its body turned or twisted in such a way that upon returning itself to "normal" position this hair and hide "covers" the wounds, it is possible for the animal to survive for a length of time. Possibly even recovering from the wound.

In my line of work we call this an occlusive dressing.

more to come later
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.