We just got back from Gulf Shores this weekend, where I spent every free moment I had from the family trying to catch anything that swims.

This year's trip was a mixture of failures and successes. Overall, I'd say that the fishing was an off year for the week we were there. I fished in Little Lagoon, in the Little Lagoon Pass, at the surf (several locations), and off the big Gulf Shores State Park Pier. I overcame some of the mediocre fishing by taking advantage of lessons learned from prior years and some advice from members on here (big thanks to Diehard Hunter) and the GSSP Pier forum.

I caught my first "slot" redfish, which weighed 4.2 lbs. I also caught a pretty nice speckled trout that weighed a little over 2 lbs. The grand finale of edible creatures was a big batch of blue crabs (including 2 genuine monsters) that we boiled and ate on our last day before leaving.

I also caught some saltwater catfish, a ladyfish, a TON of baitfish, and hooked a couple of sharks that didn't stay "stuck" on the hook. The pier accounted for the shark hook-ups, but the king mackerel run was essentially non-existent.

On to the subject of the post - I filleted the speckled trout and redfish, leaving the scales on the sides. For dinner one night I rubbed them in olive oil and seasoned them with some cajun spices. Although I've found speckled trout to be absolutely fantastic after pan-searing, they took second place to the redfish this year on the grill.

Fortunately, my buddy gave me another good-sized speckled trout to take home, and I still have 3/4 of the redfish fillets left to do a second round of fish grilling. Looking forward to it!

I'll post a couple of pics later of the fish themselves. I haven't uploaded anything to photobucket yet.