This past weekend I was working out at my farm outside of Memphis cutting down vines and small trees out of a thicket. My girlfriend came out and was watching when she said, "Baby, there's a huge pitbull about 25 feet from you in the woods."

I couldn't see the dog because of all the trees and vines, but I peeked around a few tree trunks and there was a neighbors pit that had gotten out of their backyard.

The pit started baring his teeth and growling at me. I knew not to move fast or turn around, so I reached into my pocket and got my keys and threw them backwards to my girlfriend and told her "Get my Glock out of my truck...but walk backwards very quickly."

By this time the dog had started inching closer, and I pulled my pocket knife out and flicked it open in my right hand, and had my Fiskers tree saw in my left. The dog seemed like he was sizing me up. I'm figuring if he charges I'll zip him with the saw in my left hand and try to get my knife blade into his neck with my right while stepping off the line of attack and to the side and then just keep stabbing him in the neck and torso until he's dead or runs off. But I know, just as Mike Tyson said, "everybody got a plan, until they get hit in the mouth"...

I give a quick look back at my girlfriend and she was digging through my truck (about 50 feet away) trying to find my handgun. I guess I should have been more specific about it's location.

Suddenly the dog charges and I just stand my ground waiting for him to bite into me and the stabbing will begin, but he stopped about 2 feet from me and peeled off to the side and went about 10 feet away and kept growling at me.

I guess that's what they call a "false charge", like a bear will do.

Anyway, then I heard some kids calling for him, and I hollered at them to come get their dog, which they did.

My question: is that normal behaviour for a pit? I've never had one, but if its normal, I'll be keeping a handgun on me from now on.

BTW, I'm really glad I didn't have to kill the dog, especially since the kids that he belonged too were not too far away.
But I need to know more about this breed if I'm going to be facing this type of threat.

Any suggestions or advice or education you can give me?