I think it is both, a self inflicted defeat for the Republican Party and a victory in resolve for the Tea Party.

I ran across this comment at the link below and I think it pretty well sums up the situation.

"This is all playing out exactly according to the Left’s script.

Boehner sold conservatives out on the spending cuts following his ascension to the majority in 2010. Same thing with the “debt ceiling” deal in 2011. I think he’s probably a good man, but he’s an ineffective leader, and a poor voice for conservatism.

I wonder how many of those holdouts were among the people he axed in this recent committee purge. I think Boehner, and A LOT of elected republicans are misreading the tea leaves. They misunderstand the depth of antipathy that conservatives and libertarians have for the GOP these days. This is not the loyal soldier era of previous decades. You stick Conservatives, Social Cons, Tea Partiers, Libertarians in the eye… this time they’re gonna tell you and your party to get bent. Let it burn includes the Republican party as it’s currently constituted.

LOL…”Boehner’s playing chess.” Obama’s playing for blood, stupid.

SAMinVA on December 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM "

Inside the Plan B meltdown

-Thomas Jefferson