It may be a bit premature seeing as my daughter is not even 2 yet, but she is already showing a great interest in the outdoors. She is always eager to find me in the house and drag me to the window overlooking the field behind the house to point out the deer and turkeys she sees out there, so I'm hoping that she will become my hunting buddy as she gets older. I figure there is no time like the present to start preparing, so am thinking about going ahead and getting a youth deer rifle for her. If it turns out she does not have any interest, I can either sell it or put a stock extension on it and use it myself. I know a lot of people are fans of the 243 for youth, but I think a 7mm-08 would be a great caliber that would serve her and / or me as well.

There are quite a few choices out there - Marlin XS7, Savage AXIS and Model 11, Remington 700 SPS and 770, Howa 1500, and Ruger M77 Compact are some I have seen advertised. Anyone have recommendations for one of these or another rifle not listed above? I won't say that money is no object, but I would be comfortable spending $500-600 for a rifle now and buying a scope to go on it later.