My buddy Jack (terrier on tndeer) and I headed out for the first trout trip of the season. As always, we had a few kinks to work out.

I won't get into the gory details, but here are the basics. Jack tied up a bunch of new flies for the trip and left them on the desk at home. It's better than the time he left his fly reels at home. One of Jack's fly lines broke, and I broke a rod. On the way home, a brand new $170 rain jacket (on a bluebird day) and every streamer I owned flew out of the back of the boat. That would have been a pretty huge loss, but since I'm the one that tied most of them, they never caught fish anyway. We made up for hundreds of dollars and tying hours down the toilet by picking up an anchor off the bottom of the river. Yup, somehow it made me feel better.

The river was pretty crunched up with boaters and waders, and I was told that (as always), fishing had been phenomenal yesterday. If you go tomorrow, it's guaranteed fishing will be excellent. The bite was pretty slow, but we picked up a fish here and there. Aside from the cluster factor, we had a ball.

Ingenious redneck sighting of the day - Two young guys in a boat didn't even bother going on shore for their shore lunch. They were cooking the fish they caught on a grill they had in the middle of their boat. When I caught a nice 16-inch brown, they offered to cook it up for me.

Dr. Saxton Pope