Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#980723 - 10/21/08 08:35 AM Re: New to the sport [Re: solodren]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

If you just started out , I would practice allot ,and keep your shots less than 20 yards . If it is hard to pull back , or doesn't fit you right and you can't shoot well with the bow, don't hunt with the bow this year .
Don't even go in the woods with the bow unless you can shoot a good , consistent group with broadheads .
It would be better to hold off this year , and get it right ,than to become a poke and hope bowhunter .

#980849 - 10/21/08 09:16 AM Re: New to the sport [Re: Buckblaster]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxvegas

Originally Posted By: Buckblaster
 Originally Posted By: bobthebowhunter

My advice to you is not to rush into hunting with a bow.
Shoot that bow until you can't stand it.

Hey bob thats nice of you to offer your help.

But I hate to disagree with you on that, shooting to much can lead to bad form and bad shooting habits and effect accuracy that is hard to correct. But ditto, practice as much as possible bt dont wear your self out.

I say shoot as much as you can stand it. I don't believe in bad habits. Shoot how you are comfortable and adjust the bow accordingly. If you are comfortable in your form you will be much more consistant.

Shoot Shoot Shoot. That promotes consistancy. As far as form. It doesn't have to be text book, however you may need to tune your bow accordingly.

Comare it to baseball. There is a text book form for pitching, and batting, but plenty of guys out there don't have perfect text book form and they are successfull. That is why I don't believe in bad habits.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#981952 - 10/21/08 05:08 PM Re: New to the sport [Re: James in Cumberland]
rldel
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: James in Knox
Thanks for the tips and what to expect range wise. The 52 pounds I went in with before they turned it up this morning, was getting a little easier for me then when they put it at that level I think last week. I guess just takes time like you said to get those muscles working and use to the pull.

Made it out to Forks of the River today between about noon and just before 3 PM but didn't see a deer. I am on the ground using the high grass to hide behind in the field. Yesterday my buddy saw a buck and 3 does in the same place, day before that I and him saw 2 does but missed all the shots we took.

As indicated by an intelligent poster, you don't need more than 50. You can speed it up and flatten it out a tad by going up in poundage but if you shake or can't hit what you are aiming at 70# ainít worth a #$@%! 35# will get the job done. For hunting, just be sure you good sharp fixed blade broadhead like Muzzys or Inerloc. There is no reason you have to spend more than about 5 bucks a broadhead or a bunch on a bow. 3 blades are good, 4 cut 1 better.

#982089 - 10/21/08 06:39 PM Re: New to the sport [Re: rldel]
James in Cumberland
Spike

Loc: Crossville TN

Thanks for all the advise everybody. Went out to John Sevier for a bit and was at the archery range. Ended up turning down my draw weight a little, probably now about 53 lbs. The 20 yard target I seemed to being doing pretty good with, now if I can properly sight it in for 30 and 40 I will be ok. Still having a work out drawing back the bow after the first few draws of the day though. I have started an unorthodox way though of getting it back, I use my chin or side of face to help pull my right hand back, once the letoff kicks in I am fine. Could image what you would all say seeing this draw back! I am sure it is a bad habit, but it works for now anyways.
#983657 - 10/22/08 01:56 PM Re: New to the sport [Re: James in Cumberland]
Dalton
4 Point

Loc: Grundy

Originally Posted By: James in Knox
... Still having a work out drawing back the bow after the first few draws of the day though. I have started an unorthodox way though of getting it back, I use my chin or side of face to help pull my right hand back, once the letoff kicks in I am fine. Could image what you would all say seeing this draw back! I am sure it is a bad habit, but it works for now anyways.

You might want to have the draw length checked. Sounds a little long to me.

Edited by Dalton (10/22/08 01:57 PM)

#983836 - 10/22/08 03:26 PM Re: New to the sport [Re: Dalton]
DarkkDragon
4 Point

Loc: Waverly Tenn

I agree.Have your draw length checked. Sounds like it might be long. Or, your still drawing too much weight. Sit down on a chair (armless) hold your bow out to your side and see if you can draw it. If not, your still pulling too much weight. Also agree that if this is your first bow this season (right now) is not the time to start hunting with it.

Edited by DarkkDragon (10/22/08 03:34 PM)

#984781 - 10/23/08 12:43 AM Re: New to the sport [Re: DarkkDragon]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I'd recommend buying a bow that is the correct draw length and draw weight . It's worth it to start out right , than go afield with an ill fitting bow that will force you into bad shooting habits , misses , and wounded deer .

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
42 registered (Snake, cbpedigo21, Daniel n, ChadG, CAW, Vince, 6 invisible) and 101 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99439 Topics
1169758 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.