Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#971938 - 10/15/08 07:08 PM Great pictures on Bowsite
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

I'm sure one of you computer savy guys can provide the link, but wanted to let you check out some of the most informational pictures I've ever seen for bowhunters that are currently up on the Bowsite.com site. Go to their big game forum and click on the thread titled Shot Placement-What did I do wrong? (or something close to that).

Someone on there has provided a couple of pictures of an antelope that has been skinned down and the ribs removed where the internal organ can be seen as they actually lay in the body cavity. The leg and scapula (shoulder bone) are also visible. According to the person posting, deer and elk are very similar to this antelope in their body structure.

What jumped out to me is that for my 39 years of bow hunting I've probably been aiming too far back on any broadside animals. Due to the "V" in the scapula/leg bone connection, I need to be aiming forward about 3-4" from where I was taught to aim in the spot behind the defined shoulder. Aiming where I normally do, there is very little margin of error if I miss a little back before I'm in the liver/intestines area.

I apologize to the mods if I'm not supposed to bring up another hunting site-but definately think those pictures are worth looking at for most bowhunters.

#971960 - 10/15/08 07:17 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: scn]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

as a bow ed instructor that is something I try to stress. When I started bow hunting I wish someone would have explained it to me. I often have thought about starting a thread titled " I would rather shoot a little forward than a little back". great topic to bring up. Hopefully someone will posts the link.
#972635 - 10/16/08 07:53 AM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: richmanbarbeque]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=356994&messages=80&forum=5

Thats the link. I am a little concerned about this though. I have shot 2 deer with a bow that I hit the shoulder bone. The arrow just penetrated far enough in to cover the broadhead and that was it.

I had to watch in horror as they ran off with just about all my arrow sticking out bouncing off trees. I've decided this year to aim a little further back... now you are messing with my head.

#972705 - 10/16/08 08:25 AM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Good info, Steve ! I like to shoot for that pocket or aim for the heart .

#973471 - 10/16/08 01:15 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: Radar]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Now, SCN-Go to the thread "Real or Fake".

Tell me what you think about that. Use your forensic training. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#973993 - 10/16/08 05:13 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: bowriter]
scn
14 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Now, SCN-Go to the thread "Real or Fake".

Tell me what you think about that. Use your forensic training. \:\)

Looked fake to me.

#974285 - 10/16/08 08:33 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: scn]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

This is exactly what I needed to emphasize how important it is for bowhunters to have a VERY thorough understanding of the deers anatomy. Too far back may mean guts...too far forward may mean BONE. I have personally videod hits on deer that actually ducked their humerus bone (leg bone) right in to the path of the oncoming arrow. Thus stopping penetration from a 52 plus pound KE set-up. I have, on more than one occasion, aimed TOO low and TOO far forward on broadside deer, when they dropped into the arrow.

I now make a more concerted effort to aim BEHIND the crease of the shoulder, avoiding that humerus at ALL costs.

I prefer a slightly quartering away shot.

SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#976829 - 10/18/08 10:42 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: richmanbarbeque]
scn
14 Point

Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
as a bow ed instructor that is something I try to stress. When I started bow hunting I wish someone would have explained it to me. I often have thought about starting a thread titled " I would rather shoot a little forward than a little back". great topic to bring up. Hopefully someone will posts the link.

I agree, Rich. I think if I miss I'd rather be forward and risk hitting the shoulder and ending up with a deer that likely will be OK than being back and possibly gut shooting one that will end up dead and possibly not recoverable.

#977645 - 10/19/08 07:21 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: scn]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

scn,
Because I teach how to recover gut shot deer, I'd rather have my "buck of a lifetime" gut shot and dead, and recovered, than shoulder hit and never know for sure.

Gut shot deer are COMPLETELY recoverable, meat and all, as long as one KNOWS the shot was gut, and waits the appropriate time.

SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#977750 - 10/19/08 07:59 PM Re: Great pictures on Bowsite [Re: 102]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Originally Posted By: 102

Gut shot deer are COMPLETELY recoverable, meat and all, as long as one KNOWS the shot was gut, and waits the appropriate time.

yep.

With a bow id pick mid gut 5 times before a shoulder shot with no pass through.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
26 registered (Cottontop, MUP, keystonecop, 7mm08, philburr, plinker22, 4 invisible) and 79 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91545 Topics
1070163 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.