Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#968675 - 10/14/08 09:58 AM TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Fisheries agency in the country!

What in the heck was the TWRC thinking by taking the restrictions off paddle fish?

They put restrictions on some fish in some lakes with absolutely no data to back it up (like they time they were put on the spot about the 15" rule by the other two states in a meeting on Pickwick and the 34" rule on catfish) then they TWRC completely throws their hands up on the paddle fish battle.

Then again, the TWRC has shown no backbone. At least it appears the TWRA wasn't behind this one.

Edited by AlabamaSwamper (10/14/08 09:59 AM)

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#969081 - 10/14/08 01:27 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

What did they change it to? Is this for commercial fisherman or sport?

#969130 - 10/14/08 02:08 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: trealtree]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

If you enjoy paddle fish and this don't change, you better catch them while you can because they will be extinct in Tennessee waters in the near future.

Let's all pray PETA don't file lawsuits to stop hunting because the TWRC will probably cave in to them.

#969152 - 10/14/08 02:16 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Ovaries of a female paddlefish can weight 5 pounds or more, making a single paddlefish worth several hundreds of dollars.
NASHVILLE - The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission finally settled it's long-standing dispute with commercial fishermen: There are no more regulations on the harvesting of paddlefish.
While the commission voted to keep Watts Bar closed to commercial fishing, the TWRC surprised fishermen and Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency biologists alike by removing size and season restrictions on paddlefish. The meetings Wednesday and Thursday at the TWRA's Region II office building were supposed to be a preview of the 2008-2009 commercial fishing regulations.
Instead, many of the regulations governing paddlefish were stripped from the books.
"We're getting out of the egg business," commissioner Boyce Magli of Franklin told the commercial fishermen at the meeting. "The discussion of paddlefish and our management of paddlefish takes up more time than any other two things we deal with.

HMMM, other states have the same problems but are responsible enough to deal with it and protect such a rare fish these days.

"It (The commission) has taken our eye off the ball."
During Wednesday's meeting of the Fisheries Management Committee Magli offered up an amendment to remove the restrictions. The vote was tied, but during a meeting of the full commission Thursday Magli again offered up the amendment and it passed.
Commercial fishermen have a lawsuit pending against TWRA concerning the agency's management practices, specifically those concerning paddlefish. While some of them were happy with the vote, others believe the commission went too far.
"We were only one inch and one week apart," said Chattanooga fishermen Alan Fine of the size limits and season lengths. "We want to work with the agency."
The action by the TWRC doesn't open lakes that are closed to commercial fishing and it doesn't change any of the laws governing nets or other commercial fishing gear.
Commissioners in favor of the move argued the agency spends hundreds of thousands of dollars policing the taking of paddlefish and that money could be spent on sport fishermen. In the past, several hundred thousand TWRA dollars also have been spent on studies of paddlefish.
The new regulations will go into effect in 30 days.
Commissioner Hugh Simonton of Henning, who voted against lifting the restrictions, volunteered to meet with commercial fishermen to try and work out an agreement that includes regulating the commercial taking of paddlefish.
TWRA Chief of Fisheries Bill Reeves disagreed with the commission's action but believes it could allow both sides a cooling-off period.
"This will put all sides in a position to be more considerate of the other side," Reeves said.
One downside for commercial fishermen could be an inability to export paddlefish roe. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service could intervene and stop exports because of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species known as CITIES.
"I don't think they are going to allow any exports," Reeves said. "Not without any season or any size limits."
Paddlefish roe is a popular form of caviar, especially in overseas markets. The roe commonly sells for upwards of $100 a pound and a mature paddlefish can have as much as 6 pounds of eggs.
"Let's quit trying to grow these things," Magli said. "Think of the money the agency will save. Think of the manpower the agency can save.
"We can divert that money and manpower to bigger and more sauger, bigger trout . . . We're going to get out of the business."

Boyce Magli of Franklin should be asked to step down immediately. He is irresponsible when it comes to protecting a resource which he is appointed to do!

Surrounding states are not very happy about this as it can and will affect them in the near future.

The TWRC has once again failed the sportsman of this state.

#969543 - 10/14/08 03:55 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
OldHunter
6 Point

Loc: west tennessee

Unbelievable, in my opinion.
#969572 - 10/14/08 04:09 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: OldHunter]
OldHunter
6 Point

Loc: west tennessee

"We're getting out of the egg business," commissioner Boyce Magli of Franklin told the commercial fishermen at the meeting. "The discussion of paddlefish and our management of paddlefish takes up more time than any other two things we deal with.

I would like to know what 2 things he means. I just ain't getting this.

#969620 - 10/14/08 04:47 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Absolutely disgusting. Thank you for getting the word out on this.

bd

#970163 - 10/14/08 10:18 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: B.D.]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

content Online
That's pretty ridiculous.

If I wanted to stop expenditures on paddlefish, I would consider cutting funding or advise the wardens to "not spend more than 1% of their time on paddlefish policing".

By stripping the regulations out, even the honest commercial fishermen will begin overharvesting. Even if you left the rules in, at least SOME OF THEM would obey the rules.

That makes no sense.

#970168 - 10/14/08 10:20 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: Crosshairy]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Ridicoulus!

#970248 - 10/15/08 05:03 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: smstone22]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

id like to hear what our state bioligists have to say about it,the commision is the same that closed lock 5 ? ,why not leave rules in place instead of dropping them ,somebody needs fired,mike243

#970307 - 10/15/08 06:38 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: mike243]
trealtree
16 Point

What an ignorant decision. This is insane. I will be sending my letters.

#971599 - 10/15/08 03:44 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: ]
trealtree
16 Point

letter sent

#971791 - 10/15/08 05:59 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: trealtree]
B.D.
8 Point

I hate to badmouth TWRA - especially their biologists - because for the most part they are a very professional group that tries extremely hard to be good stewards of the resource.

Unfortunately, the TWRC - the Commission - seems prone to the worst sort of politics, especially where sucking up to commercial fishermen is concerned.

bd

#971811 - 10/15/08 06:08 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: B.D.]
B.D.
8 Point

So that everyone can call the Commissioners and tell them how stupid this decision is, here is contact info for Commissioners - with e-mail where available:

Hugh T. "Skip" Simonton, Jr.
(Statewide)

Business: (731) 738-1061

R. B. "Buddy" Baird
Business: (423) 272-0301
e-mail: rbairdlaw@chartertn.net

Governor Phil Bredesen (Ex-Officio Member)
Business: (615) 741-2001

Michael Chase
(TWRC Secretary)
(East Tennessee - E-2)óDistrict counties: Anderson, Blount, Campbell, Cumberland, Knox, Loudon, Morgan, Roane, Scott, Sevier, and Union.
Business: (865) 522-3500

Johnny Fred Coleman
(TWRC Vice-Chairman)
(Middle Tennessee - M-3)óDistrict counties: Clay, DeKalb, Fentress, Grundy, Jackson, Macon, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, Smith, Trousdale, Van Buren, Warren, and White.

Business: (931) 823-7345

Thomas H. Edwards
(West Tennessee - W-7)óDistrict counties: Benton, Carroll, Decatur, Hardin, Henderson, Henry, and Perry.

Residence: (731) 642-4186
e-mail: ThomasEdwards@wildblue.net

James H. (Jim) Fyke
Commissioner - Department of Environment and Conservation - (Statewide)
Business: (615) 532-0104

Ken Givens
Commissioner - TN Department of Agriculture
Ellington Agricultural Center - (Statewide)
Business: (615) 837-5202

Mike Hayes
(West Tennessee - W-8)óDistrict counties: Chester, Crockett, Dyer, Gibson, Lake, Madison, Obion, and Weakley.
Business: (731) 253-6878
e-mail: Mike@bluebankresort.com

Gary K. Kimsey
(TWRC Chairman)
(East Tennessee - E-4)óDistrict counties: Bledsoe, Bradley, Hamilton, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Polk, Sequatchie, and Rhea.
Business: (423) 337-7713
e-mail: gkkimsey@aol.com

Boyce C. Magli
(Middle Tennessee - M-6)óDistrict counties: Cheatham, Dickson, Giles, Hickman, Houston, Humphreys, Lawrence, Lewis, Maury, Montgomery, Stewart, Wayne, and Williamson.

Business: (615) 794-5484
e-mail: boyce@magli.com

Mitchell S. Parks
(Middle Tennessee - M-5)óDistrict counties: Bedford, Cannon, Coffee, Davidson, Franklin, Lincoln, Marshall, Moore, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, and Wilson.
Home: (615) 876-3046

Todd A. Shelton
(East Tennessee - E-1)--District counties:
Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Greene, Grainger, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington.

Business: (423) 639-5183

Danya L. Welch
(West Tennessee - W-9)óDistrict counties: Fayette, Hardeman, Haywood, Lauderdale, McNairy, Shelby, and Tipton.

Business: (901) 759-5100

#971945 - 10/15/08 07:10 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: ]
trealtree
16 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
I hate to badmouth TWRA - especially their biologists - because for the most part they are a very professional group that tries extremely hard to be good stewards of the resource.

Unfortunately, the TWRC - the Commission - seems prone to the worst sort of politics, especially where sucking up to commercial fishermen is concerned.

bd

I had a sit down with a commissioner yesterday evening and he said that the TWRA biologists were the modt arrogant m-fers he had ever been around and would not listen to any advice or suggestions. Essentially if they didn't believe in something then there was no way it was gettin passed.

Interesting

#972016 - 10/15/08 07:42 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: trealtree]
trealtree
16 Point

That falls right in line with the letter I wrote.

#972183 - 10/15/08 08:49 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: mike243]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

Although I didnt always agree with decisions made by TWRA when they made all the decisions, I always tried to abide by them and respected their decisions. They are educated and gather a lot of info for making their decisions. The TWRC on the other hand, well, I'll just keep my mouth shut. I don't want to get riled before I go to bed.
#991276 - 10/26/08 08:50 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: shopson]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Well,

I read where the good ol commission had the opportunity to fix what they broke and didn't.

Figures. TWRC is now the laughing stock of the fisheries world. At least with biologists of other states. Actually, surrounding states are pretty ticked at this.

Edited by AlabamaSwamper (10/26/08 08:51 PM)

#991496 - 10/26/08 10:07 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: ]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

CH,

Although I think they probably do 90% of the time, they sure didn't in the Lock 5 case. This case really has nothing to do with sportsman, it has everything to do with a single animal/fish that will become even more rare in Tennessee waters.

As I said, neighboring states are ticked about this as it affects them also in many ways.

#991684 - 10/27/08 12:11 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
smstone22
16 Point

I would bring a federal lawsuit if thats even possible. This will affect the fisheries of other states. This is ridiculous, and a bunch of BS.

#991824 - 10/27/08 06:36 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: trealtree]
trealtree
16 Point

Originally Posted By: trealtree
letter sent

NO response from my letter. That really shows how much they care. and it was a nice letter.

Mr. Baird,

I have recently heard about what happened at the last commission meeting regarding the reversal of regulations on commercial paddle fishing. I was not there and I do not know what caused this reversal. Could you please explain to me why these regulations were changed and if there was some type of biological reasoning behind this. I have watched the paddlefish populations grow in various rivers that I fish across the state and I enjoy getting out there to try and harvest a few during our very short sport fishing season. I would hate to see the commercial fishermen over harvest this states population of prehistoric fish.

rgds,

#992323 - 10/27/08 09:37 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: ]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Personally, I'd like to see select harvest for HOOK AND LINE anglers, as these are an INCREDIBLE sportfish and taste probably better than anything else I've put in my mouth....if there were some way to succcessfully and economically farm them [Disney has a small operation down here...but it only supplies a small amount to their own needs] that would completely wipe out t he use for a commercial fishery, but of course, the demands of these fish are somewhat hard to accomodate in that capacity. I do believe that commercial angling has a place in this world, but wow...not like this. If we coudl just find a real use for those big head carp...get rachel ray to do a good recipe on her show or something...yeah right.

I will say this...I was very sad that the day they cut the generators down at Center Hill to find that body on the Cumby, JUSt as I had launched, an dI had my musky gear on board for the striper potential with some big treble hooks, I really really REALLY wanted to try for one of those fish. I've snagged them below Kentucky dam a few times in the past, but man...the yweren't that big. Some of those paddles that day were approach 6-7 feet. They seriously look like basking sharks. Astounding...and to see them swim past brown and rainbow trout was a real treat. Won't be able to see that again anytime soon...

...something needs to be done about this. Pronto.

#994614 - 10/28/08 08:37 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: B.D.]
CamohunterAGAIN
4 Point

Loc: Columbia TN

Ever hear the phrase... "bite the hand that feeds you"

The commercial fishermen were suing the agency over what the agency thought was a good size and limit? Litigation cost money...

So, I guess the agency said....hmmmm why don't you just limit yourselves commercial fishermen.... In a couple of years the fish will be endangered and you will be out of business.

#994644 - 10/28/08 08:50 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: CamohunterAGAIN]
trealtree
16 Point

Originally Posted By: CamohunterAGAIN
Ever hear the phrase... "bite the hand that feeds you"

The commercial fishermen were suing the agency over what the agency thought was a good size and limit? Litigation cost money...

So, I guess the agency said....hmmmm why don't you just limit yourselves commercial fishermen.... In a couple of years the fish will be endangered and you will be out of business.

I guess they are going to limit themselves just like the fur traders and meat hunters of the early 1900's did, when there was no limit.

#994669 - 10/28/08 09:00 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: trealtree]
smstone22
16 Point

Well heck I think Ill just sue them because I think I should be able to do whatever I want and not ever buy a license They oughta bend over for me just like they have for the commercial fishermen \:D Basically they have bowed down to pressure and it will cost those of us who are paying out the wazoo for our licenses.

#995166 - 10/28/08 12:25 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: smstone22]
CamohunterAGAIN
4 Point

Loc: Columbia TN

i didn't say it was right steven... just pointing out that you have to be careful what you ask for...and how you ask.
#1001451 - 10/30/08 11:36 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: CamohunterAGAIN]
holstonangler
6 Point

Loc: Johnson City

How was that costing them any money? I always go opening week and have never seen a game warden or have been checked. Love to fish for them a couple days each year, but snagging is not my way of fishing. It can be alot of fun watching them jump though.

#1002983 - 10/31/08 07:48 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: holstonangler]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

Looks like John Sevier to me.
#1202128 - 02/26/09 10:26 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: shopson]
holstonangler
6 Point

Loc: Johnson City

What ever happened the the TWRA stripping the paddlefish regulations? Just looked in the 2009 fishing guide and everything is the same?
#1202257 - 02/26/09 11:54 AM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: holstonangler]
B.D.
8 Point

It's my understanding that the Commission saw the error of their ways and the regs were reinstated.

I think a round of thanks is in order for the folks here who stood up for what is right.

bd

#1202884 - 02/26/09 06:25 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: B.D.]
trealtree
16 Point

The commercial season I thought was different than the sport season?

#1202895 - 02/26/09 06:29 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: trealtree]
trealtree
16 Point

I didnt think I was dreaming.

Paddlefish
November 15 to April 15

http://tennessee.gov/twra/fish/Commercial/TN_com_reg_10.pdf

#1203090 - 02/26/09 08:25 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: mike243]
wildside
Button

Loc: nashville,tn

Hey they removed the regulations because there are federal protections in place for the paddlefish. This is what I was told is the reason. I was just as mad until I was told the whole truth. I know Boyce you have no greater friend fighting for you and for TWRA! thanks chris nischan
#1204352 - 02/27/09 01:47 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: wildside]
B.D.
8 Point

Originally Posted By: wildside
Hey they removed the regulations because there are federal protections in place for the paddlefish. This is what I was told is the reason.

Not accurate. The Commission removed the regs because they were tired of dealing with protests from commercial fishermen and thought the feds would step in to regulate paddelfish caviar export if there were no state regulations. That was a big gamble.

The feds do not have any regulations in place that would affect the size or number of paddlefish harvested.

Sure, legal commercial ops might not be able to sell the caviar as easily if the feds intervened, but removing the regs left TWRA absolutely powerless to stop poaching and "black market" sales, which has the potential to be a GIANT problem in light of the value of paddlefish caviar.

It was a dumb move, and we should be glad the Commission realized it was a dumb move.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (02/27/09 01:48 PM)

#1206513 - 02/28/09 03:18 PM Re: TWRC and TWRA possibly the worst [Re: OldHunter]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldHunter
Unbelievable, in my opinion.

You said it, right there.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
37 registered (Daniel n, JDP, Stevie Ray, KubotaM4900, Vermin93, ChadG, 6 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95877 Topics
1122695 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.