Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#968743 - 10/14/08 10:51 AM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: ]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Originally Posted By: tribeless
 Originally Posted By: trealtree
Thats why I asked the question about what type of waders he was wearing. You cannot get out of a pair of neoprene waders. But I dont think they would fill up with water like a plastic/rubber or gortex pair would.

It doesn't matter. The cold water is what kills. If you ever find yourself chest deep in the Caney or other cold water, it will absolutely take you down a notch. And that may be all it takes.

Dang skippy. At reliance in polk county in the hiwassee I stepped off in chest deep water and almost didnt make it back to shallow water, I couldnt find my way back.

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#968751 - 10/14/08 10:55 AM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: Buckblaster]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

\:\(

#968812 - 10/14/08 11:20 AM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: RUGER]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I have been chest deep in the caney, actually I was swimming across it. I really think the waders have something to do with it. You have a good 5 minutes or so before the cold water will incapacitate imho.

#968882 - 10/14/08 11:57 AM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: trealtree]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah I swim it all the time and wet waded it until it simply just got too cold...aroudn November. I say just go without until its absolutely necessary, and then get one of those lightweight PFD's that goes around your neck or belt. Always had one on. NEver had to use it, but you never know. Don't be afraid though. Fear will only make you panic should it ever arise.
#968909 - 10/14/08 12:03 PM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

God...it just kinda sank in. This truly is terrible. You must be careful out there. I've been stupid in my youth, but even at the ripe old age of 23 I'm beginning to realize that no fish is worth your life. Not so much for yourself [hey, Iknow some fish and have hooked some fish that were worth the risk, eheh] but those you leave behind. It's a shame, and I sincerly pray for the comfort of that family. Say....why don't someone get their info and all the tndeer guys commit a few dollars and a card and flowers? I'll do what I can where I am if someone gets the info.
#969024 - 10/14/08 12:47 PM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: Tubakka]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have swum and waded the Caney many times. You can certainly survive for at least 30 minutes before hypothermia sets in. The waders is what got him.

Any more info? A Name?

Sad deal.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#969285 - 10/14/08 02:54 PM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: buckhorn40]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

From the Cookeville newspaper:

Fisherman drowns in Caney Fork River
Mary Jo Denton
Herald-Citizen Staff
Monday, Oct 13, 2008

PUTNAM COUNTY -- An Antioch man drowned while fishing in the Caney Fork River near the Happy Hollow boat ramp Sunday morning, officials said.

Roman S. Grzybowski, 51, of Brentridge Circle, Antioch, apparently stepped into a deep hole while wearing waders and wading in the river to fish, according to Putnam Sheriff's deputies and Putnam Emergency Management Agency officials.

Two brothers who were also fishing nearby made a valiant effort to save him, but were unsuccessful, says a report by Deputy Ron Harris.

It happened just before 8 a.m. Oct. 12.

The two brothers, who did not know Grzybowski, were fishing in the same area when they saw him fall, an accident later described by investigators as the result of the victim stepping into a hole underneath the water.

The waders he was wearing quickly filled with water, hampering his efforts to make it back to the water's surface, investigators said.

Nathan John Wilson, 28, and his brother, Nicholas R.T. Wilson, 30, both of Smyrna told deputies they were fishing when they noticed a man who was fishing downstream from them fall.

"We ran to his location and took off our waders and swam to him in the water," Nicholas Wilson later told Deputy Harris.

"By the time we got to him, he had stopped moving. We pulled him out of the water and began CPR. I ran back upstream to Happy Hollow ramp and called for someone to dial 911. I ran back to my brother and helped with CPR.

"After about 15 to 20 minutes of CPR, we decided to stop. Ten minutes after we stopped, paramedics arrived and called the ER and they decided there was nothing else that could be done."

Grzybowski was taken to Cookeville Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His family was notified, and his daughter came to Putnam County, according to Deputy Harris. She told the deputy that her father did not know how to swim.

Besides Deputy Harris, others who worked the incident included Smith County Rescue Squad members, Putnam Rescue Squad member David Anderson, paramedics Eddie Haynes and Patrick Matthews, and Deputy Sgt. Rick Smith.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#969533 - 10/14/08 03:51 PM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: rsimms]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Really a sad thing to hear.
#969701 - 10/14/08 05:56 PM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: bigluresonly]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

Originally Posted By: bigluresonly
Really a sad thing to hear.

yep

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#970685 - 10/15/08 09:56 AM Re: Tragedy on the fork [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Well, Tribeless, I guess that answers that. It wasn't hypothermia. Seems it was the waders.

sad deal.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Britlab, 444 Fan, landman, stuball1, RobbyW) and 92 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.