Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#927265 - 09/21/08 08:41 PM Re: elk river [Re: ]
TN24081
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: southern middle Tennessee

Hey "Bob"... the world doesn't revolve around YOU and what YOU want. There are more people out there that enjoy catching numbers of fish and EATING fish than there are people out there looking for that MONSTER fish like you are....

Tink69, pass me a piece of that fish.......

Edited by TN24081 (09/21/08 08:43 PM)

#927345 - 09/21/08 09:16 PM Re: elk river [Re: ]
ibfishin
6 Point

Loc: Flintville TN

Originally Posted By: tink69
If I catch a legal fish and I WANNA keep it then I WILL.

Thats the way I see it

#928179 - 09/22/08 12:33 PM Re: elk river [Re: ibfishin]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

What I think is amusing...is that BOB is not catching the monster fish. The people catching the true MONSTER trout are the ones using the kind of fish BOB catches...for bait. Ala that friggin' hoss of a 20 pound brown...but I've seen even bigger pics of fish out of that river. Caught on huge spoons by the old war vets that stand on the wall everyday. Fish to 37". Huge browns....

...it still amuses me to this day how some anglers, primarily the bulk of it from fly angling, try to tell the rest of the angling populous how and what to harvest from the entire perspective of the fishery, when they are only actively targeting the lower 20% of the sizes present. The studies I've read show that those brown can grow up to 3/4" in a month...doesn't take long for a 12" to get to 20". but Let's put this into perspective...I remember a timew hen I was accused to taking TROPHY browns out for table fare...a trophy in someone's mind was a 20" fish. Somehow...I have to utterly disagree with this. Trophy isn't relative to the angler in question, its in relation to what that particular body of water can produce. I remember a time when catchinga 16" was a big thing for me, and then I EVOLVED and changed my tactics and now I hate to say I scoff a 20"...but I do. 24's make for nice pictures [and even better steaks...on occasion..] and a 30 is the new cornerstone, but to consistently target and catch them, I too will have to eVOLVE my tactics.

I also get tickled at how we've taken something that is no more than yet another possible method, fly fsihing, and turned it into the brass ring of angling accomplishment, when most of that accomplishment isn't even judged on the water. How well and far you cast, how pretty this fly is...how REALISTIC. I caught my largest brown to date on a NEON BLUE AND GREEN minnow bait. How's that for matching the hatch? Most flyanglers I meet are far too concerned with minutia in angling and have very little fishing facts to back it up...depth speed, size control....and most importantly location. NOt all, there are a few great ones out there that command my respect, but they are few and far between, and ironically enough, they gained the bulk of their knowledge learning on other tactics. Jerkbait fishing is NOT a dummy sport. To be quite frank, there are lots of people throwing jerkbaits out there, but few have the consistency of success that shore, biglures, RIK, and myself have had. Some have had better, but not many. This shows that there is FAR more to this than just THROWING A BAIT...the bait is the tool, and while it is a great triggering mechanism for instinctional reaction strikes, my love of them comes in the versatility in a current environment. I have a whole box of different sizes and models, situated for different scenarios, from shallow water wading where a bait riding high and slightly smaller is needed, to a gamakatsu taco that gets down about 5-6 feet on three tugs and puts it into the strike range of the larger fish holding parallel to steep shoreline breaks in current. Believe it or not, those who do NOT flyfish still possess a great deal of knowledge about a water.

I never encouraged OVER HARVEST of a water, and have made mistakes I regret, but this ZERO limit BS in a stocked tailwater over the brim...IT IS DESIGNED TO ACCOMODATE HARVEST...this is NOT MONTANA...everyone of those fish was put in there for the sole purpose TO be harvested! But in the beauty of it, the limits are designed so that the right about of fish make it past that mark, past the bulk of angling pressure, to safely accomodate the presence of a few of the super predator browns that gobble up stockers as well as any striper in the system. But, alas, few know how to even target them, or even fewer know they exist. I know lots of people that can't believe there are that many big trout in the river...that's because they aren't in 6 inches of water in the riffles. The home of BIG FISH is in DEEP WATER [Buck perry] and while they may move up daily and seasonally, that is NOT where they originate. I can tell you almost exactly why my biggest brown was caught in knee deep water [I was in knee deep...he was in 5 feet] and in fact, called the fishing that day due to the incredible weather conditions present. I intended to go musky fishing, knowing I'd score, but boat problems forced me to go wading. Turns out it was a good call anyway. Yet, most people I talk to out there don't even factor weather into the equation, something I"ve seen kill fishing trips before, night and day between consecutive 24 hour trips.

I also have this to say...I sometimes think that problems with overharvest being blamed for lack of fishing succcess in many bodies of water with consistent pressure is more due to localized weather patterns...its happened before. If a force like weather is strong enough to create year classes by destroying spawning movements of bass in local lakes back home, sure enough it will affect the angler in his daily struggle if the fish are put into extended periods of dormancy [particularly the larger fish] due to consecutive frontal systems. In that case, I'd say the bigger fish move at night [and why I'd only get the 20 +'s at Betty's wading after dark many times...wouldn't show themselves until the twilight after everyone else had gone].

My two cents...

Edited by Tubakka (09/22/08 12:41 PM)

#928199 - 09/22/08 12:43 PM Re: elk river [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Oh yeah, biglures and shore...next time I'm up...Elk River and Clinch hehe...

...oh yeha, and what about Toccoa? Why don't we meet in the middle, I've heard of some 30's being shocked up there...yes...pounders.

...and on t hat note, in the next year...we're going to Taneycomo. State shocked up a 37 pound brown two year ago....night fishing the bluffs. Game....on.

#928205 - 09/22/08 12:45 PM Re: elk river [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

In the words of Kevin Pitts, successful flyfishing guide and dear angling confidant who spent years fishing the Wautaga and S. Holston, as well as Port St. Jo in Florida...

..."if a bunch of hungry rednecks can ruin a trout fishery...the TWRA isn't doing their job..."

#928279 - 09/22/08 01:31 PM Re: elk river [Re: bob]
waterman
4 Point

Loc: roane county

put and take, doesn't that say it all?
#928283 - 09/22/08 01:36 PM Re: elk river [Re: Tubakka]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I can sympathize with Bob. I used to float the caney more than a few years back when it was not so popular. Back in those days you could limit on 14 to 18 inch fish between the dam and happy hollow if you were so inclined. One of my friends was friends with Doug Markham of the TWRA and he just had to tell him how good we were doing. Ole Doug decided to anounce it on the TN Outdoorsmen. Its never been the same since. I am a firm believer in keeping your mouth shut when you have something good. I have lost way too many hunting and fishing spots because someone decided to brag. Of course, coming back and saying it sucks and don't go there is kind of suspicious too.

I think its great that you all can discuss the caney and where to catch them and what to use but someone posted a map here where the trophies are located. If it gets out to the general population, you're gonna hate yourself because you won't be able to get your line wet without tangling up with the corn fishermen. That type of information should be sent in emails and not posted on forums. Just my opinion.

#928322 - 09/22/08 02:11 PM Re: elk river [Re: JimFromTN]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

You keep making that stupid quote tubs. Do you really believe it? That’s like saying if your home gets broken into then the police aren’t doing their job. Really tubs, do you think TWRA can keep all the rivers and lakes full of fish and the pastures and forests full of Turkey, deer, elk, quail, and all the other great species without any help or forethought from the sportsman? TWRA isn’t an all knowing all seeing force dude. I know a lot of you will hate to hear this, but ultimately its up to YOU to preserve our natural heritage.

I’ve never said don’t keep any fish. Just be mindful of what you do keep. In a Trout river this is very important. The ones that live past the disease and other mortality are the future good ones. Take them and soon enough you’re left with just another urban stocking program, a place to catch stocker Trout straight out of the truck.

Looking around some other boards I’m seeing where locals are reporting their homes being broken into this year and lots of vandalism in the parking lots on the caney. Looks like all this publicity is drawing some of your “rednecks” to the river Tubs. Maybe TWRA will take care of this problem too.

“I'm recently missing two of my best rifles myself. Yesterday when taking off the river with a couple good buddies we noticed a fellow having someone put air in both his rear tires which I guess had been flattened. The thefts and vandalism are a first for us in the almost six years we've lived here. The neighborhood is changing.”

“We get to the cabin and there is no way to get in, but that back screen door is open and there is a hole where the screen had been pushed in. So, logically (yeah right) I thought: "Maybe she left the backdoor open." Well, the back door was loose and I could see in and noticed a nice little boom box by the back door, but no TV (My wife was concerned about the TV). We left and I called the lady on my cell and left a message. About 1/4 of the way back to Nashville, she calls and we figure out she had the wrong e mail for us. She gives me the code. We go back. As I'm opening the door, I hear tow guys tearing [censored] away from the bank in a canoe and look over the rail to see them paddling like crazy. I go in and the door to the screened porch is open and the boom box is gone! “

Watch where you step on the Elk ole buddy these folks around here,, well lets just say there’re different…

#928341 - 09/22/08 02:27 PM Re: elk river [Re: TN24081]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: TN24081
Hey "Bob"... the world doesn't revolve around YOU and what YOU want. There are more people out there that enjoy catching numbers of fish and EATING fish than there are people out there looking for that MONSTER fish like you are....

Tink69, pass me a piece of that fish.......

And with the right mindset we can all have our fish and eat them too....

#928342 - 09/22/08 02:27 PM Re: elk river [Re: bob]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Are you talking about that cabin on the caney thats about half way between the dam and happy hollow that has the for rent sign out by the waters edge or is the on the Elk that you are talking about? Everytime I paddle past that cabin, I always want to call the number and find how much it goes for. Of course, if it is frequently broken into, maybe not.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
71 registered (wskp11, DaveB, gobblegrunt, wayne, alwaysoutdoors, Steverino, 8 invisible) and 101 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91473 Topics
1069380 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.