Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#928182 - 09/22/08 12:34 PM Now is not the time
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

With 5 days to go before the season opens , now is not the time to be buying a new bow and trying to set it up and tuned before the season starts , unless you currently have a bow to use .
Now is not the time to dig your bow out of a hot closet to shoot it for the first time this year .

#928184 - 09/22/08 12:36 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: Radar]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

So true. Good luck everyone.

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#928386 - 09/22/08 02:49 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: Kevin]
CW123
Button

Loc: Huntsville AL

You know, I used to agree with that mentality. However, if someone already has good form, they can buy a new bow and have it sighted in and driving tacks in one session. I bought a new PSE X Force a couple of weeks ago and that afternoon it was deadly out to 40 yards, no big deal.

I'm not the best archer in the world, I just think that the new bows have gotten a lot easier to dial in and shoot. Drop away rests, mechanical broadheads, carbon arrows, etc. All these inventions sure have seemed to have tightened up my groups.

Now if I was still shooting my old Hoyt Gamegetter II with a TM rest, no sights, finger tab and XX75 arrows tipped with 125 gr Thunderheads, I would agree with you. Not a bad set-up at all, just takes more practice to shoot well.

#928437 - 09/22/08 03:17 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: Radar]
LCU
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co

Originally Posted By: Radar
With 5 days to go before the season opens , now is not the time to be buying a new bow and trying to set it up and tuned before the season starts , unless you currently have a bow to use .
Now is not the time to dig your bow out of a hot closet to shoot it for the first time this year .

Probably agree with you on this.
But if I did not have a bow,and a new one was my only option, it can be done in a week. If you work had and don't have any problems. You won't know in advance if it will.
May have to limit your range,but might be worth it to hunt.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.

It's the Indian,and not the Arrow.

#928454 - 09/22/08 03:23 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: LCU]
decaturhunter
6 Point

Loc: Decatur County, TN

I agree, went to Bass Pro this weekend and saw about 50 people in the archery section picking out bows and arrows. I guess its good to get more people into the woods, but I don't want mamed or injured animals walking around either due to a poorly sighted in bow.
#928476 - 09/22/08 03:35 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: decaturhunter]
LCU
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co

90% of those Bass Pro, week before opening bow buyers will never get close enough to a Whitetail to take a shot.
They should be safe.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.

It's the Indian,and not the Arrow.

#928512 - 09/22/08 04:01 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: LCU]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxvegas

I can't stop tinkering with my gear. I adjusted my centershot last night. Resight time. It was tearing a little bit nock right. Not any more. Past that I have been shooting since jan.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#928831 - 09/22/08 07:43 PM Re: Now is not the time [Re: bobthebowhunter]
JThuntsalot
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Mckenzie, Carroll County, TN

I have been shooting for 4 months now. I keep tinkering with mine and cannot get the slick tricks to fly worth a [censored]. I have spin tested the arrows checked everything. They are dead on at 20 yards but anything past that they aren't worth a dang.

I love to kill big bucks and a ton of ducks with a monster Thunder Chicken in the spring

#929333 - 09/23/08 12:18 AM Re: Now is not the time [Re: CW123]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: CW123
You know, I used to agree with that mentality. However, if someone already has good form, they can buy a new bow and have it sighted in and driving tacks in one session. I bought a new PSE X Force a couple of weeks ago and that afternoon it was deadly out to 40 yards, no big deal.

I'm not the best archer in the world, I just think that the new bows have gotten a lot easier to dial in and shoot. Drop away rests, mechanical broadheads, carbon arrows, etc. All these inventions sure have seemed to have tightened up my groups.

Now if I was still shooting my old Hoyt Gamegetter II with a TM rest, no sights, finger tab and XX75 arrows tipped with 125 gr Thunderheads, I would agree with you. Not a bad set-up at all, just takes more practice to shoot well.

I'm talking about the guys who haven't shot all year and are buying a bow this week , not the experienced guys who can setup their own equipment . When I tested bows , I had to change strings and cams on a weekly basis . I had a back up bow , but I still field tested the other bow when I got it dialed in .
I can setup a bow in a half hour and get it sighted in , but I have been doing it since 1981.

#929344 - 09/23/08 12:39 AM Re: Now is not the time [Re: JThuntsalot]
Radar
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: JThuntsalot
I have been shooting for 4 months now. I keep tinkering with mine and cannot get the slick tricks to fly worth a [censored]. I have spin tested the arrows checked everything. They are dead on at 20 yards but anything past that they aren't worth a dang.

If you are getting fliers and not grouping at all ,there is a tuning problem or form problem somewhere . I have never seen a slick trick fly poorly out of a well tuned bow .
How is your centershot , nock location , cam lean , and cam rotation or timing ? What spine arrows are you shooting ? What is your point weight , arrow length and draw weight ? All of these will factor in tuning a bow .

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (rabbit hunter, Dbllunger, Mr. Hawk, savageman, THEdonkey0515, Zulu, 14 invisible) and 132 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89308 Topics
1044499 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.