Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#919394 - 09/16/08 09:29 PM The chute to below congo bottoms
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

A trying piece of water at times. Real hog country when the time is right.

Here is the TWRA map site 6 on it is the blowups below. I recomend using mapquest to scout the shoals, but I can't capture it and edit it properly yet.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/troutpf/Center_Hill_Tailwater_(Caney_Fork_River).pdf

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Gordon...0:::::f:EN:M:/e

Now just some info.

The most upstream red mark on the map is what my pals and I call the chute. It is a narrow section of fast deep water. When you get the right sun and water with a pair of polarized glasses on you will be sure to see a trout over 10lbs. It is a hog spot, stockers come over that thin water above it and perish. Be warned this water should be run first carefully to understand the underwater trees before fishing it.

Once you get below the start of the chute big fish can be anywhere. The deep hole created by the Smith fork is very tough to fly fish, but hardware should be a no brainer. The sand bar on the creek side of the river is ideal for wading. The two green marks indicate the most likely region for wading across the river. Worth a look for redds.

From here on down river the outside of the bend is filled with timber and deep water. It rarely fishes well for me on the fly rod, but I don't fish streamers. I think all the yellow dots are good approximations of places to focus on.

I have seen more huge walleye in this section of river than any other. Almost took my spinning gear to go after them, but not worth it to me. Take a look on a sunny day. Walleye over 5lbs are there for sure.

Now for the money.....right were the blue text congo bottoms starts is some serious trout water. And worth keeping a close eye on the next two months. Good fast water. Between the 2 I-40 bridges always has a large brown. I know tubs has been there his plugs are on every submerged piece of wood. The section 100 yards upstream from the first bridge to 100 yards below the second is broken bed rock, mostly. The fish can be sitting anywhere, and one of the tricky parts it that the big fish often sit mid stream, in often the most "boring" bottom structure. WARNING: Below the second bridge can be tricky fast and shallow water. First time through I would run it before fishing it.

Around the bend below I-40 down to the first set of rocks that jut out to mid river is flat out guaranteed big fish 365. If you aren't catching fish over 18 inches here you aren't fishing correctly. Buddy and I went 24 over 18 on rainbows down through here in one 3 hour period. Three over 20 inches. And this was fishing flies from 16-20. Imagine what hardware could do! I have broken fish off on 8lb tippet and size 8 scuds here and having never seen them. No submerged timber either.

The fish sit mid river at and above the nipple. Be prepared, work the entire area. Best plan is to drift through and use polarized glasses to scan for fish. Motor back up and pound them, the motor will not turn these fish off, they will be back in 2 minutes, only water level moves them. This area should be watched closely the next 2 months.

Possible sleeper spot. The backside of the island for the chute. This is mostly shallow gravel, but the fish may decide that this is the place to spawn with all the deep water below and above. Easily accessed by the states access point 6 at Kirby road.

Good Luck,
Scrubs

Now post some pics of that big one

#919753 - 09/17/08 06:48 AM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: stillinscrubs]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Here is a swirly face pic just for you Scrubs. Before anyone says anything, yes I ate this fish and yes that is a stringer hanging out of its mouth. Out of 10 thousand or so trout I have caught over the years this is my first legal brown. I was excited to say the least. And its all thanks to Tubbaka for showing me how to cath them.

#919952 - 09/17/08 08:40 AM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: trealtree]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

And thanks to Tubs for showing you how to kill them, too.
Outstanding fish, though.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#920005 - 09/17/08 09:00 AM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: gil1]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Tubb's didnt show me how to kill them. That was my choice because I bought my license and a trout stamp which legally allows me to keep trout. I dont think they would sell too many trout stamps if you could not keep any fish. Kinda like selling a deer permit and only allowing you to look at them. I understand the concept of catch and release and I agree with it. That is why I only keep fish on occasion when I go fishing.

#920076 - 09/17/08 09:42 AM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: trealtree]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

Nice one realtree!

#920093 - 09/17/08 09:51 AM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: MFBAB]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

Why was the other thread removed?

#920887 - 09/17/08 03:45 PM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: MFBAB]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Awesome fish man!
#921338 - 09/17/08 07:59 PM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: trealtree]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

Originally Posted By: trealtree
Kinda like selling a deer permit and only allowing you to look at them.

\:D \:D .....Hey trealtree that brown looks familiar \:D J/K .I remember the first keeper brown i caught from the shoreline, was so exited and did the same thing...very exhilerating, personnelly i dont like the taste of browns, but will eat it once in a while for some omega3's

Not to be sounding like Tubbbbbbs, but after a while the 20-24"ers tend to look all the same in photo, but man Id like to see a lunker come out of the cf!!...Its still in there.prolly migrating now form the cumby.

#921368 - 09/17/08 08:17 PM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: stillinscrubs]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

Ohhh, congrats on your first legal brown, very

#922384 - 09/18/08 11:48 AM Re: The chute to below congo bottoms [Re: shorefisherman]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

AWESOME Trealtree. How's that Gheenoe? Give me a call...I got a bait I want you to try...

...gil gil gil...when will you ever learn...

..."depleting the resource"...I come back into town for a day and ge ta 25.5"...once again...there are more big fish in there than an yone is even aware of. I don't think you should keep them all, but it's not "killing" when the resource is placed by man, not naturally reproducing, and makes for great table fare...its called "harvest"...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR...vest. And the next time you complain about anyone keeping a fish that size...show the last pic of a brown trout that size you RELEASED from the Caney...

...oh yeah, right....forgot....

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
183 registered (David Sapp, Gonefishing2, Buccaneer, Deerhunter, Outdoor Enthusiast, duckriver, 21 invisible) and 254 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95777 Topics
1121302 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.