Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#915418 - 09/15/08 12:15 AM Target panic! Long read
onebuck
12 Point

Loc: riceville, tn,usa

About 2 weeks ago I experienced a complete meltdown while shooting my regular practice routine.

I'll usually shoot two quiver-fulls once a day (evening), or twice (evening and morning) depending on work. I shoot 3 shot groups at 20,25,30,35 and 40yds.

My accuracy has been really good so I mainly just shoot and concentrate on keeping my form and technique in good shape, so when the time comes, I'll be on automatic.

I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden my shots started going all over the place! Where I normally shoot 1" groups with a lot touching - I couldn't hold a 4" group! Actually had a few fliers that were off 6"! Unacceptable!

I know that I was tired and didn't feel good when I went out(and maybe a little bored too) but something just wasn't right!

Then I started consciously "aiming" and things just got worse. Frustrated, hot and sweating, I just went in and hung it up.

The next day, I decided not to shoot but the boy came up with his new girlfriend and wanted to shoot, so we went at it. Things were still not good, expecially with all the girltalk going on in the background. My son shot good and that let me know that the problem wasn't the bow.

Well, I decided to just lay it down for awhile. As it turns out, it took almost a full week before I felt that "need" to shoot again. I decided to relax and slow down a little this time.

The first 3 shots were at 35yds. 1" group - two touching! I went through all the distances, moved up 2-3 yds and shot'em again. All in the ring! That excitement and confidence just flooded back in!

I've shot a couple of times since then and everything's back to normal. I think it's possible to shoot "too much", and that's what happened. That, and loading my mind up with crap from reading these bowhunting magazines! It always amazes me how much of this thing is in the mind!

Now it's time to get bloody!!

#915501 - 09/15/08 07:04 AM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: onebuck]
TNhuntin93
6 Point

Loc: TN

Glad to hear you broke it!!
Now just get ready for the big day!

#915567 - 09/15/08 07:54 AM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: ]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I have experienced target panic and it usually starts when I shoot too much or force myself to take a shot . I cure my target panic by aiming and letting down and shooting at blank targets and close up with my eyes closed .
I shoot better when I don't shoot every day . It's better to shoot a dozen good shots every other day than to spray a few dozen all over the target every day when you are experiencing target panic or fatigue .
I like to end a practice session when I'm shooting good , not when I start to get tired and sloppy .

#915976 - 09/15/08 11:24 AM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: Radar]
bobthebowhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxvegas

some time you just have to put it down for ahile especially if you like me and you get pi$$es off and then you really can't shoot.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#916024 - 09/15/08 11:48 AM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: bobthebowhunter]
LCU
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co

It happens to me,and possibly a lot more archers as well.
The first time it happened to me, I shot so badl, I was missing the block at 35 yds. I was freaked,and very discouraged.
Not a good feeling,and I know that feeling.
Once you confirmed the bow was OK, just relax and know this bad shooting spell will go away, just as it came.
Glock

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.

It's the Indian,and not the Arrow.

#916366 - 09/15/08 02:19 PM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: LCU]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

It always amazes me how much of this thing is in the mind!

The mental aspect of archery is huge. Taking a break for a few days is a good idea. It gives the muscles and the mind time to heal. I personally do not shoot every day or sometimes not even every other day. Just when I feel like it and can enjoy it. I know it's hard to do sometimes but limiting your shooting time to only when you feel fresh will avoid mental and physical stress, which can lead to poor shooting.

Every archer in some point in time will experience some form of target panic to some degree. Your not alone.

Hope you continue to shoot well.

#916429 - 09/15/08 02:58 PM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: pjridge]
Toxophilite Phil
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Rogersville,Tn USA

Target Panic...............oh what awful words. It is my personal belief is once you get it you never get rid of it. You can keep it under control but you can bet it will rear it's ugly head when you really don't need to experience any such thing. Aiming and shooting is really a subconscience act. The more you think about it the worse it becomes. I really hope you never experience this again but if it ever does, talk to me I can help.
#916983 - 09/15/08 07:55 PM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: Toxophilite Phil]
ChadG
14 Point

Loc: Gallatin,TN USA

Originally Posted By: Toxophilite Phil
Target Panic...............oh what awful words. It is my personal belief is once you get it you never get rid of it.

I agree totally. I have had it off and on for the last 3 years. It can be really frustrating and make you want to throw your bow in the trash. I have learned over time how to control and manage it. I usually get it when I am trying something new or "overthinking" my shooting.

#917223 - 09/15/08 09:11 PM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: ChadG]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

I figured out many years ago that shooting a bow is instinctive like shooting basketball. Some days you have the touch and some days you don't. Your site is just a device to get you close. You "feel" when the time is right when to release the arrow. Some days we are just off...

17.9 Trillion http://www.usdebtclock.org/

#917262 - 09/15/08 09:25 PM Re: Target panic! Long read [Re: ChadG]
onebuck
12 Point

Loc: riceville, tn,usa

After I posted the above, I got to thinking. (very dangerous, I know) \:D This thing happened to me once before. Not last year, but the year before. And it happened at the same time of the year - right before bow season started!

I think, being the perfectionist that I am, that I was driving myself to shoot perfectly, with no off shots period. Sometimes this is hard to do with the sore shoulders I've had recently from helping my F-I-L at his property.

Shot again today out in the cool air and had the best time I've had lately! Shot one quiver and came back in smiling to myself.

I'm ready! Nuff said! Thanks for the support, guys!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
126 registered (bigasports, ghostfive, thetoolman, Roost 1, REN, BamaProud, 14 invisible) and 190 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96582 Topics
1130869 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.