Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#880183 - 08/21/08 07:17 PM My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

I was shooting my broadheads on my new bow for the first time today, the vains that came on them are straight. I started short to make sure i hit the target, and they were dead money at ten yards. My first test at twenty yards i cut a vain off bc they were so tighty. My second test at twenty yard, i missed the target once, and was on opposite sides of it the other two. My arrows almost started to knuckle like a knuckle ball.

This was really confusing, and i went to 4' fletchings that are right helical and they flew much much better. I was actually shooting better groups with those than my field tips.

This really concerns me about my blazer vains though because i really liked them. Any reason why they might be doing that?

I shoot muzzy 4blade 100g broadheads. But have heard the 3 blades shoot much better. Also i have been considering mechanicals.

Edited by Kevin (08/21/08 07:44 PM)

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#880284 - 08/21/08 08:13 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: Kevin]
eddie c
Old School
12 Point

Loc: jackson, tn

something is not tuned correctly. OR you did something different on the second 20 yd session.
did you start dropping your bow arm trying to watch the arrows fly?

#880300 - 08/21/08 08:21 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: eddie c]
Kevin
8 Point

not that i know of. its like my arrows just started corkscrewing.

Roll Tide

#880320 - 08/21/08 08:29 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: Kevin]
eddie c
Old School
12 Point

Loc: jackson, tn

something happened between the first test at 20 and the second. the possibilities:
something came loose.
you gripped different.
you dropped your bow arm to watch the arrows fly.
you changed your form.
you jerked your release instead of squezzing the trigger.

dont go to the mechanicals just to solve a flight problem. something is out of tune. check your bow and make sure you are using proper spined shafts.

#880414 - 08/21/08 09:23 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: eddie c]
Kevin
8 Point

Im going to the pro shop tomorrow, gonna get my vains put back on, and i might get some 3 blades.

I just cant get my confidence in the 4 blades, i dont know. its really put me in a upset mood trying to figure it out.

Roll Tide

#880841 - 08/22/08 07:37 AM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: Kevin]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Grip torque , fletching contact on the rest or cables , centershot , etc. could be the issues .

#881943 - 08/22/08 08:35 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: Radar]
turkeyhunter64
8 Point

Loc: TN

I have to agree. You did something wrong. I experimented today with blazer and 4 inch vane. They each shot different with the same slick trick but the blazer was way more consistent from 10 to 45yrds. Also have a 2deg RH twist on my vanes.

Relax your grip and let the bow fall away after you shoot. This will keep you from punching to see the arrow flight.

#882096 - 08/22/08 10:21 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: turkeyhunter64]
Kevin
8 Point

I shot my last blazer vain today with a muzzy 4 blade. and i was very very satisfied with how i shot, all the way out to thirty yards i was very confident that id be able to lay the smack down on one. I am just really undecided on if i want to go rage or not. i cannot get over the holes.

but if i had to choose right now, im dead money with my muzzys, so why switch.

Anybody have a preference of the 4 blades or the 3 blades? And do they fly the same?

Roll Tide

#882135 - 08/22/08 10:53 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: Kevin]
turkeyhunter64
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Kevin
I shot my last blazer vain today with a muzzy 4 blade. and i was very very satisfied with how i shot, all the way out to thirty yards i was very confident that id be able to lay the smack down on one. I am just really undecided on if i want to go rage or not. i cannot get over the holes.

but if i had to choose right now, im dead money with my muzzys, so why switch.

Anybody have a preference of the 4 blades or the 3 blades? And do they fly the same?

Kevin,

I've shot them all. 3 blade muzzy, 4 blade muzzy, Sattelite, thunderheads, wasp, spitfire, old orginal punch cutter, BUT I just shot my first slick trick 100gr mags the last few days. They are by far the most accurate fix blade I have used. Fly great out to 45 yrds. (as far as I will shoot) Liked them so much I took all my hunting arrows to my local dealer to have the 4in vanes replaced with the blazer, ordered replacement blades and another pack. The slick trick shot so tight I cut a 3 inch hole out of the center of my target.

From what I know and have learned arrow spine and spin testing is the most important. Your bow will recommend a mim arrow weight. As long as your arrow and broad head are above that then you should be able to shoot any broadhead you want. It then is up to the makers specs to provide a good quality head. For my money it would be slick trick or muzzy 4 blade as I have had 3 blades plane on me during flight. I don't like mechanicals as I don't trust mechanics to always work. A fixed blade broad head I know is going to cut on impact because I can see it. You can't say that for something you can't see work. If you are shooting as good as you say, why would you spend $40 on something you really don't need since you already have the Muzzy's

Also make sure you have a RH twist on your vanes. Helps stablize the arrow in flight and really drives the arrow home. I am sure this is more than you wanted but I am bored tonight.

#882164 - 08/22/08 11:43 PM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: turkeyhunter64]
Kevin
8 Point

No turkey that is great info, i am going to have to buy more heads anyways cut i have shot up all my muzzys. I could sharpen them but i will be at college in a week so not much time to. I am going tomorrow to get new vains put on, and i will make sure to got a right helical.

I have heard great things about the slick tricks also. I think i may stay with the muzzys but if I have any problems with the muzzys i'll switch, but thanks for all the advice its been a great help.

Edited by Kevin (08/22/08 11:44 PM)

Roll Tide

#882396 - 08/23/08 09:01 AM Re: My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings [Re: Kevin]
turkeyhunter64
8 Point

I shot muzzy's for 5 yrs. great broadhead. Don't buy new ones just get some replacement blades. Glade to hear you are in school. I have a daughter starting this yr at my old school TTU.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (ZachA, rabbit hunter, Buckhunter10, cdw338, Football Hunter, Rockhound, 14 invisible) and 183 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96573 Topics
1130774 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.