Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#879745 - 08/21/08 02:27 PM Re: For the guides [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

You know, funny thing about this guide business. It's a lot of work and the pay is usually less than minimum wage. But a few weeks ago I got an email from a gentleman that visits this site now and then thanking me for guiding his dad 20 years ago. He explained how that one trip eventually affected his whole family on down to his kids. Those things kind of make up for it.

When I started guiding in 1968, I started with just antelope, mule deer and elk. I truly did not have a bad trip. When I came to TN, I took out a few fishermen but since I was still learning the waters, I didn't push it much. Then in 1981, when the whitetail boom hit, I leased 7,500 acres and started guiding deer hunters-mostly bowhunters. That is when I started having a few idiots in camp. At the same time, I was guiding for smallmouth on Priest, C.Hill and the Holler.

Then I branched out to the new opportunities in the Midwest and worked some summers in Canada and a few weeks in the mountains. All together I have no idea how many clients I have had in the boat or in camp. My guess would be a lot. I know we paid almost $70,000 in leases one year and still made money.

But during that entire time I was writing for money. Guiding wasn't my sole income. It makes me kind of sad to learn that me and RSimms aren't really guides. \:\)

But then, after some carefull consideration, I wonder what the he11 that has to do with anything? What I really want to know is what they did with the water on the river Tuesday morning? What a mess.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#879768 - 08/21/08 02:49 PM Re: For the guides [Re: Fordman]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Originally Posted By: Troy Basso
 Originally Posted By: Tubakka
Wow Biglures...haha...congrats. Way to flush them out...I didn't know some of these folks were "Guides"...that explains alot...

What was it a game? I have never hidden my guide business and I dont think anyone posted on thread that I didnt already know about.

Not at all Troy. I know a bunch of vetran guides are on this board and was looking for a laugh about trips gone wrong, that's all.

#879806 - 08/21/08 03:22 PM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
You know, funny thing about this guide business. It's a lot of work and the pay is usually less than minimum wage.

I don't know about your side of guiding but mine certainly pays more then minimum wage. It used to be that during peak season I could make 45,000+, not getting rich but certainly paying the bills and definitely making more then min. wage. I retired mostly because of the need for health insurance, and to pursue a professional career. I still guide quite a bit but nothing like when I was full time and it was my profession.

I made a he11 of a lot more than that but when you divide it by the hours you get a different picture. Then take out the expenses and you get real good picture. It sounds really neat to say you took in over a quarter million this year until you take out the $200,000 in actual costs. I can bank $25k sitting on my butt writing stories.

It's all relative.

#879870 - 08/21/08 03:55 PM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Okay. You win.

#880024 - 08/21/08 05:51 PM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

A Dewey button.

#880049 - 08/21/08 06:06 PM Re: For the guides [Re: bowriter]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

You know, funny thing about this guide business. It's a lot of work and the pay is usually less than minimum wage.

I don't know about your side of guiding but mine certainly pays more then minimum wage. It used to be that during peak season I could make 45,000+, not getting rich but certainly paying the bills and definitely making more then min. wage. I retired mostly because of the need for health insurance, and to pursue a professional career. I still guide quite a bit but nothing like when I was full time and it was my profession.

I made a he11 of a lot more than that but when you divide it by the hours you get a different picture. Then take out the expenses and you get real good picture. It sounds really neat to say you took in over a quarter million this year until you take out the $200,000 in actual costs. I can bank $25k sitting on my butt writing stories.

It's all relative.

Captian Hook, I am not trying to start a argument at all here, did you guide for a shop or independantly? At 350 a trip I calculate my time, generally 12 hours for a full day, fuel for the boat, take 15% and stash it for boat repair/ replace/upgrade fund, 10% into truck account for tires and vehicle maint, money for guide liences, insurance, food and rods,reels,lines,flies.
I do it because I love it not becasue a fella can get rich doing it. By the way who is charging the 500.00 a day that Tubs speaks of?

#880057 - 08/21/08 06:11 PM Re: For the guides [Re: bowriter]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Rule of thumb for some of...don't post the ones that will make you money.

Pat from Bowsite just won a deal against Youtube and I made them back down on a deal a few weeks ago. It may be getting better but once that sucker becomes public, to the way of thinking of some, it is public property.

You've learned well, Troy.

Yep got burnt once and just spent three weeks trying to get one of my photos removed from another website... took several hours and one letter from a very convincing lawyer to get it done.

#880080 - 08/21/08 06:22 PM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

A Dewey button.

Now I am really lost.

Yeah. I didn't think you were that old. Dewey ran for president. Lost.

#880092 - 08/21/08 06:31 PM Re: For the guides [Re: Fordman]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Quote:
Yep got burnt once and just spent three weeks trying to get one of my photos removed from another website... took several hours and one letter from a very convincing lawyer to get it done.

If any of you guides need one of those letters from a "very convincing lawyer," give me a call.

I make more than minimum wage though.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (08/21/08 06:32 PM)

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
125 registered (CAW, TNBowfish, buklovr, RxHunter, SilverFox, Wompuscat, 13 invisible) and 142 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90920 Topics
1062405 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.105 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.