Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#878047 - 08/20/08 03:49 PM For the guides
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

happy Online
I was curious about some of the trips gone wrong. Do guides ever get unreasonable clients, clients that get irrate over conditions and demand money back, clients that get too drunk? As many guides that are on here there has to be a horror story or two. Anyone got one?
#878095 - 08/20/08 04:21 PM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

I am sure there are horror stories on both ends.
Bad clients, bad guides.
I know I have heard both from each.

But just going by the numbers, I would say their are probably more stories of bad clients. Bad guides, don't stay in business that long, I wouldn't think...unless they work an area where they have such a high volume of customers that they do not have to worry about repeat business...and that is certainly hard to imagine in Tenn.

But it is another reason for references (for the client's AND the guide's sake), and pre-trip expectation/talks before booking a date, I think. Everybody knows what to expect... come play/pay day.

A lot of guides have told me, "...hey, I can take anything for a day...along with the thought, this son of a gun will be gone tomorrow...(you are only fishing one day, right?). lol...

#878151 - 08/20/08 04:57 PM Re: For the guides [Re: Taylor]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I could write abook on bad clients-most of them hunting clients. Only twice have I had to throw hunters out of camp in 25 years of guiding. But in retrospect and in truth, I wonder. Were they really bad clients or were they just not what I expect from a client?

My fishing clients, for the most part, have been good. For some reason, they just seem to be better suited to being guided than hunters. Only one time in almost 35 years have I had to smack one with a boat paddle. With the anglers, I found if you just show them and talk to them and tell them what you are doing, they'll be okay.

But hunters, especially bowhunters, just have to prove to you they know more than you do. They pay 3-grand to come hunt then tell you how to run your business. Then, when they don't kill a monster, they blame you. Elk hunters, especially bowhunters are almost as bad. Bear hunters are the best.

He11, it's called guiding. If you can't deal with the vagaries of the public, don't do it.

But now how about guides? RSimms is the worst I ever went with. All he does is make you keep catching fish. Not once did he open a bottle of water for me. What's up with that?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#878167 - 08/20/08 05:10 PM Re: For the guides [Re: bigluresonly]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

content Online
I can honestly say I've never had a "bad client" or bad experience. I've only been at it three years however. Everybody who's fished with me... and it's been a few hundred, have been great to spend time with. Some had more personality than others... but nobody has ever gotten mad or seemed disgruntled, even on a few trips that didn't go well in the "fish catching department."

HOWEVER, I suspect there are clients who can tell you some great stories about me. On one of my very first guide excursions, I forgot the keys to my boat. I had to call my wife and ask her to bring them to me.

AND, I know there are two gentlemen from Knoxville who will forever be telling the story of their idiot guide who had a fishing rod ripped from his hand, and dove headlong into the water after it. That's on old thread. If you missed it, I'll just go ahead and embarrass myself again:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=5&Number=828647
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#878170 - 08/20/08 05:12 PM Re: For the guides [Re: bowriter]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

What...? You can't throw the switch, BW? lol.

Originally Posted By: bowriter
RSimms is the worst I ever went with. All he does is make you keep catching fish. Not once did he open a bottle of water for me. What's up with that?

That Simms is a CRUEL man, indeed!

#878194 - 08/20/08 05:33 PM Re: For the guides [Re: Taylor]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Let me tell you about Simms.

He knows I have a bad shoulder. So all day, he puts me where I have to try and lift big catfish up with a pukey little rod. Then, as if that isn't enough, he decides to run the boat 246.5 miles up the lake with waves higher than Stillunscrubed's ego. Each wave jerked my shoulder out of joint.

Then, he made me try and land a catperch that weighed just slightly less than 150 pounds. Talk about cruelty!

Naw, if you guide long enough, you'll run into some anal imperfactions. It goes with the business. But hunters are 100X worse than fisherpersons.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#878391 - 08/20/08 07:30 PM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

I have only had one set of "tough" clients and no really bad ones. I think the biggest, and most important thing I have learned to do as a guide to to ask questions. In doing that it drives conversation with a potential client and helps me to assertain what they want me to do.
I have sent numerous clients to other guides and not becasue I couldnt provide them the trip they wanted. I knew that a certain guide could give them a better experience in what they wanted. Today I can catifsh but I dont enjoy it so any catfishing calls I get will get reffered to the scenic city!
I think total honesty is they key to guide client relations. I had a terrible day with two fellows out of North Carolina. They were good fisherman but the fishing was off due to lord knows what. We stayed at it for 12 hours and they had and hour or two at the end where the blue wings started coming off. I felt like sheet at the time as I had never had a day where the fish "won". That was my best tip to date and both are booked with me this fall and winter for Trout and Striper.
They re booked because I told them up front it was going to be TOUGH fishing and I worked from daylight till dark to get them on some deccent fish. Guiding is not easy, nor cheap, you have to become a fishing buddy, valet, butler,and at times a shrink. Every client is different, some want nothing but your boat and some decent conversation, others want to to teach them how to do something. Some want you to fish, others get upset if you fish. I wouldnt trade what I do for anything but its not easy and Simms, bowriter,captian hook and others know when you put the pen to paper you will be doing well to break even most years.

Edited by Troy Basso (08/20/08 07:34 PM)

#878542 - 08/20/08 08:36 PM Re: For the guides [Re: Fordman]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Okay, I know of a guide horror story. John Wilson, a fantastic Arkansas fly fishing guide, was out one day with 3 clients (a crowded boat). There was a decent shad kill on the Norfork, and he had those folks tossing some big, weighted streamers in a strong crosswind. Unfortuntely, the weakest caster of the bunch was right next to him, and the wind was blowing from the fly fisherman to the guide.

As you may have guessed, the client double-hauled that big ole streamer with the heavy barbell eyes, and it slammed at full speed into the back of John's noggin'. The guide dropped to his knees in shock and pain. Apparently, he even shed a tear but didn't want to let on his anguish.

Years later, when I called this guide for something, I said, "This is Gil Lackey. You probably wouldn't remember me, but..."

John jumped in, "Oh, I remember you. I hadn't cried like that since I was a kid!" \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#878876 - 08/21/08 06:07 AM Re: For the guides [Re: ]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

LOL, Gil.

Ever heard of "Hank" Wilson a guide from over in Ark....?

#878942 - 08/21/08 06:41 AM Re: For the guides [Re: gil1]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I figured the "best" guide would have to be the great TUBS! Maybe one day I can go fish with him and learn everything.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (THEdonkey0515, TNRazorback, woodswise, Kevin, 1 good shot, Hardwoodmaterials, 10 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91846 Topics
1073322 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.