Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#869339 - 08/14/08 08:21 PM Shad kill !!!
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

lauched at the dam 2 day.tva pulsing the sluice....Excellent fishing...caught bunch of 20"+ salmo truttas 25"biggest.
Wont post the salmo truttas pics for people tend to raise hell just for catching them \:D !
But here is a pic of a little wiper, sucker went on the grill for it was bleeding too much..Again fishin is GOOD!!

#869344 - 08/14/08 08:23 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: shorefisherman]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Congrats. and cool pics. I had just heard the exact same story from my buddy who went 2 days ago. White dead drifted streamers to match the shad kill.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#869368 - 08/14/08 08:30 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: shorefisherman]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Yes sir ...anything that resembles a crippled fish is ON ! Again fishin is good, PLease practice catch and release on them salmo truttas! \:\)

#869629 - 08/15/08 05:06 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: ]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Nice fish shore! I bet that stripe was a heck of a fight on that little g loomis rod, way to go.
#869821 - 08/15/08 07:32 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: bigluresonly]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

cool

#869960 - 08/15/08 08:57 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: easy45]
Bertman
16 Point

Loc: TREESTAND

cool real tasty

#870596 - 08/15/08 04:25 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Bertman]
TNhuntin93
6 Point

Loc: TN

Good deal, I like the last pic.

#871630 - 08/16/08 06:15 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: shorefisherman]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

#875285 - 08/19/08 08:49 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: ]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I want to take this opportunity to brag on Shore. I miss fishing with this guy, and there is not an angler more successful on the Caney for brown trout than he...maybe some just as, and I think we're both learning what it takes to get the Admirals [I categorize trout into rank...since there are so many different distinct size classes...Admiral being anything over 30-32"...Grand Admiral being a 35-36", which I'm sure do exist in there]. I also want to say how amusing it is to see a good buddy of mine, an "amateur" if you will [haha] going out and doing something that I would be willing to put money down saying no upstart fly guide out of Nashville has even come close to scathing. 5 browns over 20", up to 25" in a single outing, mixed with stripers? Yeah...probably not. And yet, they charge HOW much? And people wonder why I have a bad taste in my mouth...stupid stupid stupid. Do what works. Period. Obviously...this pattern is more than just stupid chuck and duck...its efficient and because of that, if you apply knowledge to it, its deadly. Why complicate the process? You can play basketball in clown shoes, sure, but what does that prove? I'm not down on all guides out there, alot of them are really decent chaps, but I still find it so amusing that their marketing angle isn't so much what or how much they catch but more...WHAT they catch it ON....which to me, is sheer whimsical farce.
#875297 - 08/19/08 08:55 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

For instance, I knew a gentleman out of the BPS fly shop who went around proclaiming to be a guide [using borrowed knowledge from a great flyfishing friend who now incorporates jerkbaits in his arsenal as well....smart guy]had the brochure and everything...Orvis patches, the works...man, he was "PRO"...and yet, when I asked him the biggest fish out of the Caney he had...oh 22" and that was a fluke above and beyond. I didn't tell him we were averaging 2-3 a trip that size, and sometimes hooking into as many as 8-9 including some whoppers. But somehow...because this guy wore the right stuff and had the right tackle, he was paid BIG BUCKS and now works for some fish-in-a-barrel place in GA "guiding" people to starving trophy trout...tigers don't traditionally eat tofu, but if you keep them lockjawed for a few weeks, and then throw some in there, I don't think they're going to be too picky. Stuff like that...irks me. That and the fact he would take down my pictures when he found out they weren't "Caught on fly rod"...seriously. Heck, I've just been around the right people down here talking fishing, and have been asked to do some destination trips. Probably too much red tape for me to do it, but I might "tag along" to "help out"...you know. I don't feel guilty for that when approached, as opposed to yay-hoos who dress up and PRETEND like they know what they're doing....this is NOT all guides out there and not especially on the Caney, but these people do exist and there are a few out there. Just saying...
#875355 - 08/19/08 09:23 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

Missed you Tubs. I had forgotten. You can be gone for a while, and all is peaceful around here. Two quick posts, and you have already reminded us all how great you are and how worthless everyone else is [except those few of your jerk ( I mean jerkbait) caliber].

I met two guys that know you from Tech. They were just as impressed as the rest of us are.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#875712 - 08/19/08 12:09 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: ]
Tubakka
6 Point

This post has nothing to do with me...I was complimenting Shore. But the fact remains...this was never anything against flyfishing...just the attitude behind it. Here's a guy that is not considered "pro" but is fishing most if not ALL of the "professional" guides under the table....point made...no patches, no fancy waders or boat...no Orvis anything. Facts. Knowledge. Persistence. That's it. That's the whole game. The rest are just tools, and obviously...no offense...every person I've taken fishing from Tech has been grateful I've shown them what I know on the Caney. I'd like tok now names...because I have a feeling you're fabricating. I talk to most of my tech friends all the time...4-5 now no longer flyfish the Caney after fishing with me. At least not for big fish...or numbers. But it's not really about that.

Captain Cook....I'll already have a fish on the hook by the time you're completing your third back cast....just saying. The technique may catch fish, but it focuses too much on eccentricities and extraneous notions like "matching the hatch" and "attention to detail". Those fish in the Caney specifically are not really tuning into that...the only time I've seen them be that picky was during a shad kill, and then it was just getting something to float ont he surface just like a shad and twitch it a bit, easily accomplished with little rapalas. It takes too much time, too much money, and is not necessarily to catch trout, and is probably not the most ideal to hook and land the biggest trout. This wasn't directed towards flyfishing in general even, just how ridiculous it is that inferior angler have made a living hiding behind a projection of knowledge and professionalism...when rednecks to the left and right of them have been making them look bad.

...I'm a real jerk for taking people out, giving them baits, and sharing many many hours of info for free. A real jerk...I'd really like to know which two you met, because the 8 that I've been fishing with were very pleasedw ith the results of my programs. And can't wait for me to come back up and fish with them.

#875771 - 08/19/08 12:41 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
I'm a real jerk

So far, that's the only thing I can recall your ever saying that made me think you had a clue. I don't think I've ever gotten personal with any other of the thousands of posters on this site, but I'm tired of your rants.

I congratulate Shore, too, and that and the shad kill are perfectly legitimate reading on this post. But that's not your way. It doesn't matter the topic, you find a way to rant about how great you are. You are condescending to all of the rest of us.

Shore uses your technique, and he has never once bashed any other method or person. Being weak of character doesn't give you the right to slam others just to make yourself feel better.

I'm done and will allow this thread to hopefully go back to the shad kill.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#875803 - 08/19/08 01:15 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: gil1]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Well, I guess the arrogant fisherman net missed one. I assumed that the net was for bass fishermen. Now I can add a trout fisherman. Since you have Tech buddies, the best Caney trout guy I've ever met once coached up there. I'm sure you couldn't carrry his joc..., creel.
#875902 - 08/19/08 02:06 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: ]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

Tubs how many 20" fish have you or your cronies caught on a fly. Not to put down gear but just about anyone can cast a spinning rod and jerk bait. The fact is most guides I know can catch fish anyway they want. They just chose to do it the hard way because Trout are so darn stupid and easy to catch. What about you big boy,, how many 20ís you got on a fly? Thatís what I thought. Put up or shut up.

Edited by bob (08/19/08 03:16 PM)

#875995 - 08/19/08 03:08 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: bob]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

In tubs honor I thought I'd make two posts for one reply??

It is after all a river stocked every other month with thousands upon thousands of stupid fish willing to eat just about anything. Lay off the Ego maniac pills man.

BTW how many Boneís you got so far? How about Snook, Tarpon, or Wahoo? Bet you really slay them lady fish with that jerkbait donít ya. Come on great master of all waters far and near, share the pics of those monster saltwater fish you been catching on the all inclusive all fish slaying, husky jerk. We all want to see themÖ. Real fishing is a b!tch isnít it?

Edited by bob (08/19/08 03:08 PM)

#876130 - 08/19/08 04:24 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: shorefisherman]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Uhhh oh!!!...In before fordman chimes in \:D

#876338 - 08/19/08 07:12 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: ]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

The only thing I have to add is that it sounds like Shorefisherman had a great day on the fork. Glad to hear it.
#879333 - 08/21/08 09:58 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Fordman]
Tubakka
6 Point

HAHA...you guys still enver got it. Well, to be honest...I don't see any pics from you guys, so how can I assume? We've fished along side down river of guides many times nad outfished them. NOthing personal...shared pics and the works. You fish with whatever you want, if you're a cool guy and are open to new tactics, I have no problem. Once again, I fish with flyfishermen, but they're not morons. The people who know me know I really don't have an ego, I'm just very outspoken and when I have an opinion I have it for a reason and will hold to it until proven otherwise. I have seen so many poor anglers out there on that river who are just weekend guys get conned into this stupid stupid game that yuo're not really fishing out there until you fly fish. Been at the ramp when its a HUGE deal for a guy to pay 500 bucks a day and he the cornerstone fish of the day is a 20" fish, when some rednecks pull up next with 2-3 that size and a 24". Here's what I'm saying...

...you say that jerkbait fishing is easy. To cast and throw a jerkbait? Yes, I won't argue that...but you can do that till your blue in the face, but if youd on't know how and where to throw the bait nor what to do with it you won't catch fish no matter WHAT you're doing. Fly fishing just complicated the very process of getting the lure to the fish in the first place, and I've yet to see a presentation, at least for BROWN trout [rainbows are a different story, but Istill think one could do just as well with eggs or worms presented well, if not better] that can outproduce big jerkbaits...they're too versatile, efficient, and they trigger the instinct of piscivorous browns unlike any other thing I've seen. It's not a feeding instinct, it's areaction strike most of the time, and you can make a following brown commit just like a following musky with those baits. "PURIST" is one of the most arrogant terms I'VE ever heard, meaning "you're too good to use the plebiean methods"...WHO CARES WHAT YOU CATCH THEM ON! I fished alongside a REAL guide who made 80000-90000 a year guiding CEntral TN and Port St. Jo in Florida as a fly guide, and we would joke back and forth about which method was better and still do in good spirits, but man...most of the time, guess who walked out the winner? It wasn't about that...but all I nkow is what I observe. I don't see ANY pics up here from other anglers on the Caney of any sizable fish to speak of besides what I, Shore,and Biglures put up from our [their, now] trips. Simply for validation of what we say...

Arrogant? That fly guide out of BPS put a frickin' Ictus John 3:16 fish on his card! And he STOLE spots from people, would ask for their knowledge without paying, and THEN go charge people to take them out. What...a...joke...but hey, there were people that thought he was some kind of pro because he held a flyrod and worked in a fly shop. I guess that's why he never liked my pictures to occasionally find their way on that board...

...in fact, I referenced fly fishermen who I overheard talking about hiring him out on the river one day, telling them I knew a young man from Tech whom I was good friends with who would be happy to show them flyfishing on the Caney, and gave them his number and hours he could be reached at BPS when he worked there. When those folks called the shop looking for this young man, the guy went into a fit, saying "how this kid was taking clients away from him"...did he really deserve them in the first place? Btw, Troy, Mr. Simms? I've referenced guys wanting to flyfishing down on the Caney to you two, although to be quite frank, I throw the more seasoned trophy hunters who ask to Mr. Anderson. He's got the pics to prove it...Not a better angler in Central TN I had yet to meet. But I also say...for alot less money and alot less headache...they can catch probably just as many fish and more likely bigger fish doing what I do than that. And that's true...

Btw, any of you GUIDES willing to try putting some big ol live trout behind planer boards? Oh wait...purist...my bad. I bet you guys also believe that missionary is the ONLY way to go huh?...

Edited by Tubakka (08/21/08 09:59 AM)

#879346 - 08/21/08 10:04 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Snook and reds? Well...I've got a buddy down here who knwos alot about it, but I've yet to be abnle to buckle down adn get the tackle ands uch to throw into it. I've been with him a couple times and so far, my best red has been 48" and snook was 43", but he's taken reds to 60" and snook to 50"...throwing jigs off a pier in the outgoing tide. Guy's an artist though...I've never seen a guy be able to interpret bottom structure with simply his bait, using a jig...he draws out the structure with his mind. Oh yeah, and then he comes up to TN and trout fishes and does alright, but then goes striper fishing below Cordell and gets fish to 53 lbs doing the EXACT SAME THING. Amazing angler...
#879367 - 08/21/08 10:10 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

And for the record, I'll use the tool [lure] that is dictated by the situation at hand. I'm sure snook and reds can be caught on jerkbaits, but not when they're related to the bottom in current 20 feet down. In t hat case, it's jigs. I never claimed to be master of all waters, but I'm no fool...I do know a good amount about fishing just from listening to the right people. As far as getting the actual experience behind it...I've got another 60 years at least.
#879415 - 08/21/08 10:48 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I'm starting to wonder how I ever caught a fish. I never read Buck's book, I never fished with Al and I never met Tubs.

Aint life grand? We have our own court jester and he don't even live here.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#879573 - 08/21/08 12:32 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

I bet you guys also believe that missionary is the ONLY way to go huh?...

Honestly, I'd like a little more variety, but your mom seems to prefer sticking with the classics.

bd

#879708 - 08/21/08 02:05 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: B.D.]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Brian, are you sure about that? \:\)

#881104 - 08/22/08 11:10 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
I bet you guys also believe that missionary is the ONLY way to go huh?...

Honestly, I'd like a little more variety, but your mom seems to prefer sticking with the classics.

bd

That's funny, no matter who you are \:D

Holy moly! Just gone for a day, and look what went and happened! LOL \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#881107 - 08/22/08 11:14 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: gil1]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

wow

#881127 - 08/22/08 11:31 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

WHO CARES WHAT YOU CATCH THEM ON!

The answer to your question is... YOU!
You are the only one that cares. I can't remember any of the fly boys caring. I can't remember any of the bait or spin guys caring. You are the only one with the gargantuan ego to think that the rest of the world can't do something in a different way than you and still enjoy themselves.

Tubs - I never said that I fly fish because it's the best way. I never said that I'm a better fisherman than anybody. I never said that I catch bigger fish than anybody. I never once dissed any other method of legal fishing. In fact, I enjoy most of them. I never used the term "purist" because it makes me laugh out loud. Because some BP guide sucks, everyone on the planet sux that doesn't follow you, Al, and Buck?

I've been spinfishing and jerbaiting since way before you were born, so quit trying to assume that fly fishermen are too stupid to try another method. I can't explain why I enjoy doing something differently than you and not catching 25-inch browns, but I do. Do I need your permission to enjoy it my way? Lord, I prefer bow hunting too but I do much better with my rifle. Can I still bowhunt Tubs, or are all bowhunters stupid purist snobs?

You are the antogonist who fabricated your martyrdom. Nobody could give a crap what you do or what you catch. Maybe you were dropped on your head as a child, but for some reason you don't get it. My opinion is that you're one of those that spends so much time talking that you are incapable of listening. When you are so wrapped up in yourself, it's very difficult to understand others.

I don't do housecalls, but Dr. Gil's diagnosis is free because you will make a great case study. ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#881570 - 08/22/08 03:48 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: gil1]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Dang! I don't believe I could have put it any better. I wish I had thought of that.

#881576 - 08/22/08 03:54 PM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: bowriter]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

content Online
it is a wonder that you didn't...

#882375 - 08/23/08 08:48 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

gil, I'll meet you anytime, anywhere, and outfish you blind-folded, with my right hand tied behind me! Wait a minute.........that's already been said, hasn't it?
Never mind.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#882474 - 08/23/08 10:24 AM Re: Shad kill !!! [Re: 4onaside]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
gil, I'll meet you anytime, anywhere, and outfish you blind-folded, with my right hand tied behind me! Wait a minute.........that's already been said, hasn't it?
Never mind.

Wait, that's actually my bowhunting secret! I shoot much better one-armed and blindfolded! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (huntintn, Gray Ghost, BARhunter, greygoose, Tenn.Guy, bowhunter163, 8 invisible) and 180 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99580 Topics
1171481 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.059 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.