Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#868380 - 08/14/08 10:33 AM who's making money bass fishing???
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

So...some folks want to make a living bass fishing...
Not an easy thing to do these days, according to this:

http://www.probassanglers.com/2008elitecolorcoded.htm

#868463 - 08/14/08 11:13 AM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: Taylor]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

That is very interesting, however it does not factor in Sponsorships, which either pay some anglers outright... or at least cover all (or portion) of expenses. I see some names "in the red" who are surely reaping large sponsor benefits.

Of course no one can depend on those sponsorships until they reach the "elite" phase of their career... and this is a great illustration of what it costs to get there.... if ever?
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#868487 - 08/14/08 11:26 AM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: rsimms]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: rsimms
That is very interesting, however it does not factor in Sponsorships, which either pay some anglers outright... or at least cover all (or portion) of expenses. I see some names "in the red" who are surely reaping large sponsor benefits.

Of course no one can depend on those sponsorships until they reach the "elite" phase of their career... and this is a great illustration of what it costs to get there.... if ever?

True , without sponsors most of the pros would not be able to fish the tournament trail .

#868532 - 08/14/08 11:45 AM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: ]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Just don't get the whole rage with bass tourneys. Tough stuff especially for the guys barely breaking even.

I agree. I'm sure it's fun and all, but I could'nt do it. The only exception would be for charity.

#868549 - 08/14/08 11:54 AM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: moondawg]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Same thing can be said for any sport. Until you are in the elite group none of them pay too well.

#868784 - 08/14/08 02:11 PM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: Kirk]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Of course, it doesn't figure sponsorships, or seminars, or whatever else.
But...it's no pay scale like golf by any means.
Lot of golfers out there making a living that you will never know their names.

Lot of wannabe bass pros out there sleeping in the back of the truck, eating baloney and loading up credit cards...

Hard facts, hard truth...way it works, I guess.
Just posted it fyi...kind of interesting, I think.

May/could also be a view of the business itself...consolidating market...fishing industry is a big pie...but there are only a few players that really have (big) pieces.

#868788 - 08/14/08 02:13 PM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: Taylor]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

They say that 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

Same is probably true of tournament profits... 10% of tourney anglers reap 90% of available profits.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#868982 - 08/14/08 04:37 PM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: ]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Richard hit it. The money is the sponsorships. The prize money is secondary. However, it is a bit catch 22. To get the sponsor money, you need to establish yourself and that mean big bucks out of pocket.

Then there is another aspect and here I am speaking only of BASS and FLW and maybe the walleye tournament thingie. For a while television producers were almost scripting some parts of the show. Now I don't mean fixing tournaments, I am talking about the things the fishermen said and the way they acted. The objective being to stimulate controversey and boost viewer numbers. Some of the older guys basically said "take a hike, we aint playing that game." But some of the young guns had to and have taken some heat for it. Hopefully that crap is over with.

But, to now answer Taylor's question, a lot of fishermen are making money bass fishing. They just aren't doing it in tournaments. There is a fair living to be made from the industry without ever fishing a tournament. Why just yesterday I made $165 for four hours work. Then I got a $50 tip on top of that.

I aint never gonna see another broke day \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#869230 - 08/14/08 07:43 PM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: bowriter]
bonekelektr
6 Point

Loc: Sullivan Gardens

Carp fishing is where it's at..Esp. when you consider expenses versus winnings..........

#871241 - 08/16/08 08:06 AM Re: who's making money bass fishing??? [Re: bowriter]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Point of interest more than question...question was kind of a teaser to make you check it out.

Bottom line...making it as a competitive bass pro is a VERY difficult row to hoe.

I have no doubt those at the top deserve to be there, toss the lot of them on a huge reservoir, say LAKE ANYWHERE, anytime...and they will be catching fish within days...under the worst conditions.

But I also suspect there are a lot of good anglers out there that will NEVER slip through such a very small window of opportunity.

So your child comes to you and says he wants to be a bass pro.
You are probably better to say, "...son, let me tell you about this game called Power Ball."

lol

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Rick Dillard, wireman, Mossy Oak, ruthunter, wtbh236, BONE-HEAD, 1 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.