Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#868910 - 08/14/08 03:53 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: W.Seay]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Here are the only 4 arrows I shot tonight. All were shot at 55 yds. Not saying I am Robin Hood, or Chance B. or anything...just what a hunting set up can do with a little practice.

#873945 - 08/18/08 02:42 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: BowGuy84]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

If you hunt out west much, you almost have to learn to make 50-yard shots. The western hunters are use to it. In the wide open, brush in between doesn't even figure in.It really all comes down to quickly reading the conditions, wind, uphill, downhill etc and then practicing enough that a 50-yard shot is no more difficult than a 30-yard shot. One of keys is to practice on 3-D targets, not dots.

Do I espouse taking 50-yard shot? Absolutley not. I have taken a few, made a few. But I have hunted with some guys who thought nothing of it and never made a bad shot. Chuck Adams was one of them. Byron Ferguson another.

It's all relative and ethics only comes into play if you take one and have to hope and pray it hits. If you make those shots on live game all the time, dam betcha it is ethical. But for the average, eastern hunter, it sure isn't reccommended.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#874137 - 08/18/08 04:47 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: bowriter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
a deer can move a long ways before an arrow covers 50 yds. i would never shoot at a live target over 30-35 yds.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#876785 - 08/20/08 04:04 AM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: Southpaw]
XForceman
Spike

Loc: Sullivan County

Spoken like a true HUNTER Radar!!! Well Said.
#877452 - 08/20/08 10:48 AM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: megalomaniac]
CZ284
8 Point

Loc: Rossville, Tn

Originally Posted By: megalomaniac
Drilled my elk at 50 yards last year... but that's a completely different animal from a whitetail...

first of all, their vitals are the size of a beachball. Second, they won't duck the string like a whitetail.

My longest shot on a whitetail is 35 yards, and that's about my personal max. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the release on an elk at 55, though.

Very good point mega. I killed an elk at 50 yards as well, standing broadside in an open field. They are definitely not as spooky or quick as a whitetail.

Not only is there the increased possibility of hitting something small in the way, 50 yards in the woods is a LONG way. Wind drift, etc. taken into account in my book makes a shot that long at a wihtetail a questionable thing.

Personally, in over 25 years of bowhunting, I've never shot at a whitetail over 25 yards. Knock on wood, I've only wounded one and it was a very superficial cut on the brisket. I like to get in close- in my book that's the biggest challenge to bowhunting, gettin in close so you have a greater chance of a short, accurate shot. Long range shooting is best left for field archery. JMO.

#879136 - 08/21/08 08:16 AM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: Southpaw]
wskp1
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville

I shot a buck at 64 yards from our 40' tree hut. He dropped right where he was standing. Not a good practice but I had practice the shot from the stand. Never would shoot from a distance that I had not practiced from.
#879528 - 08/21/08 12:03 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: easy45]
Blue5
Woodpile Boys
16 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill, TN

IMO todays bows are very capable of 50 yd kills! With practice!

#879588 - 08/21/08 12:42 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: pubhunter17]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: pubhunter17
Sorry on the Bushman show and watched Lee kill two deer at fifty yards plus.I thought that was pretty cool and sorta stupid.I don't feel like that is an ethical shot but he stated if your going to do it for a living you have to take the shot when you can.I going to pratice at 50 yrds but I don't think I'll shoot an animal at that distance.

Thats the problem with many businesses today No ecthic's.I wonder how many guys that would not take that 50 yard plus shot saw it and say if he can do it so can I.???They never show the gut shot unrecovered deer. They only show the perfect shot and perfect recovery's. I used to watch all the hunting shows. Don't watch any of them anymore. I prefer the one man uneditted show when I hit the woods.Some days are perfect,some not so perfect. They're all good if I'm in the woods.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#879607 - 08/21/08 12:51 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Sorry on the Bushman show and watched Lee kill two deer at fifty yards plus.I thought that was pretty cool and sorta stupid.I don't feel like that is an ethical shot but he stated if your going to do it for a living you have to take the shot when you can.I going to pratice at 50 yrds but I don't think I'll shoot an animal at that distance.

Thats the problem with many businesses today No ecthic's.I wonder how many guys that would not take that 50 yard plus shot saw it and say if he can do it so can I.???They never show the gut shot unrecovered deer. They only show the perfect shot and perfect recovery's. I used to watch all the hunting shows. Don't watch any of them anymore. I prefer the one man uneditted show when I hit the woods.Some days are perfect,some not so perfect. They're all good if I'm in the woods.

Just like on a hunting forum , No one will talk about the shots they missed or wounded , just brag about the good shots they made . It's human nature I guess .
I have nothing against an accomplished archer and bowhunter taking a shot within their effective range , regardless of the range . The point I have been trying to make is knowing your personal 100% effective range in hunting conditions present , and when it's best to pass up a questionable shot at any given range .
I'd rather help a new archer to get within their effective range than to encourage them to stretch their limits and take "pot shots" at deer just outside their shooting range .
It's not unethical to take shots within your effective range , regardless of the distance , but it is unethical to take questionable shots and flinging arrows way outside your effective range .
Every situation is different in the woods when shooting at live deer . When in doubt , let down and pass on the shot . If it feels right , you are confident in making the shot and is within your 100% effective range under the hunting conditions present , go for it .

#879619 - 08/21/08 12:54 PM Re: Fifty yard shots.Who's tried it? [Re: Radar]
POSSUM HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: Over yonder

Originally Posted By: Radar
 Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man

Just like on a hunting forum , No one will talk about the shots they missed or wounded , just brag about the good shots they made . It's human nature I guess .
I have nothing against an accomplished archer and bowhunter taking a shot within their effective range , regardless of the range . The point I have been trying to make is knowing your personal 100% effective range in hunting conditions present , and when it's best to pass up a questionable shot at any given range .
I'd rather help a new archer to get within their effective range than to encourage them to stretch their limits and take "pot shots" at deer just outside their shooting range .

very well said

Theoretical Flash Mob founding member

Daytime crew part time member

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JRH, skysoldier173, jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley
13413 Registered Users
Who's Online
17 registered (Jcalder, Fearless, stylishblueticks, ffmedic, bullshooter, monsterbuck07) and 87 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13413 Members
42 Forums
96722 Topics
1132513 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.133 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.