Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#853933 - 08/05/08 10:32 AM My thumbs are raw!
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

My thumbs are raw from lipping bass to remove hooks. I fished a dogfight yesterday afternoon and got on a point that was stacked with bass. They would hit anything I threw at them. I started out with a crank bait and got tired of dealing with treble hooks and switched to a jig. They tore it up until I got it hung and broke it off. I then threw a Texas rigged lizard at them and they literally tore it off the hook. I think I used 6 lizards before I got tired of replacing lizards a started throwing a spinner bait. They ate it up on six consecutive casts. Then it stopped and I couldn't buy a bite. If my ciphering is correct I caught 52 bass on that point. One of which was over 15 inches. I bet I caught
30 that were 14 to 14.5 inches. Took one keeper back to the weigh-in.

#854200 - 08/05/08 12:25 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: Kirk]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

Hard to believe that there are still tournaments going on in this heat. That has to be rough on the fisherman let alone the fish.

Iím not trying to be negative or start a fight and this isn't pointed at you Kirk, but has anyone done a study on mortality rates of Bass released at tournaments during these high heat periods? It has got to be rough to be pulled from cool deep water and put in a small glass box with 90 degree surface water being forced into it. Could it be that this is the reason for so many fish under the size limits?

Again Iím not looking for a fight but I would like to hear the other side of this. What are the positives to tournament weigh ins during summerís dog days.

#854260 - 08/05/08 01:06 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: bob]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I believe there have been a lot of studies done. As I recall, the tournament guys, at least a lot of them, refuse to believe the data.

And I am not bashing tournament fishing or tournaments. I am simply saying what I recall and believe to be true. These hot weather tournaments are deadly on bass. Yes, they are released alive. But the survival rate is atrocious. No. I can't state facts and figures. This is just what I recall.

And yes, if they aren't too big, I keep me a mess of legal bass and eat them. I know for a fact what their survival rate is.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#854289 - 08/05/08 01:17 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: Kirk]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

I will not take your post as criticism but rather as an opportunity to educate. Since you are making some pretty general statements I will only address my preparation for live well storage. Any fish I catch is put right back in the lake if they don't measure at least 15 inches. If a fish does measure they go in a live well that is cooled and contains Rejuvenate. I have not lost a fish since I started doing this. As with anything you do in life, proper planning and preparation is the key to success. My fish are always very lively when I release them back in into the lake. I never release my fish in shallow water after the weigh-in. I will take them to a deeper water area.

Why does College Football start when it is still 90 degrees in the South?

#854294 - 08/05/08 01:20 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: Kirk]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

NO I don't radio tag them and check back on them a week later. \:D

#854372 - 08/05/08 01:56 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: Kirk]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

I wondered if the newer boats had some kind of better livewell system. Iím glad to hear they do.
To be honest Iíve never been a fan of the tournament thing mostly because of what it does to some of the people. But just recently I watched a weigh in and saw some really nice fish go belly up as they were being released. To the fishermanís credit he tried to revive the Bass but nothing short of a miracle was going to save these fish. So he just left them in the water to float and die.
One other thing I noticed was at the pavilion where the fish were being weighed folks were standing there in a line with plastic bags of fish and not much water for a few bass. And there has to be a better solution then sliding them 30í down a scouring hot PVC tube into hot water.

It sometimes seems like the smaller tournaments donít take the time or spend the cash to do things right. For example an O2 injected dunk tank for all the fish waiting in line to be weighed.

My take on this was that if enough folks who have a legitimate share in the Bass fishery saw this type of negligence, then small budget tournaments might one day become a thing of the past.

You really donít have to radio tag the fish to see the impact. Look at Crappie, a very sought after food fish. When you put a size limit on them all of a sudden most of what you catch is undersized. It would seem logical to assume this is because more of the keeper size fish are being caught and eaten. Removed from the system.

I might be wrong but I donít hear about that many folks who eat a limit of LM and even then the limit is very sustainable by a healthy fishery. So where are all these fish going? Iíve fished some zero limit lakes before and I can tell you they are amazing places to fish. Just donít get caught with a fish in your livewell.

Again not trying to start a fight just interested in the opinion of the other people out here.

BTW, congratulations on a good day. Sore thumbs tell the tale.

#854395 - 08/05/08 02:04 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: bob]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

The boat manufacturers and BASS, FLW etc saw a problem and have tried to remedy it with technology and procedures. There are a lot of devices, upgrades and easy fixes out there. Even with these fancy upgrades the only real solution to this issue is angler intent. You have to intend for that fish to survive and make a healthy return to the lake. If you don't give a chit, it won't survive.

#854496 - 08/05/08 03:09 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: Kirk]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Summer bass mortality aside... congrats on the great catch. I'm sure that was an awesome amount of fun, even if you didn't bring home a check.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#854564 - 08/05/08 03:40 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: rsimms]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Sounds like you had a blast, congrats!
#854665 - 08/05/08 04:30 PM Re: My thumbs are raw! [Re: bigluresonly]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

It was fun. I couldn't believe I was catching that many bass. At one point I think I caught a bass on 8 maybe 9 consecutive casts with crank bait. I am taking my son tomorrow and let him do some
fishing in a stacked hole. Good way to learn how to "feel" a bite. \:D

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (jakebird, ETNyates, hayden01, Rifle06) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.