Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#853630 - 08/05/08 07:41 AM gulf shores fishing thus far
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Waves are high from the hurricane passing through Louisiana. I tried fishing the surf at sunrise yesterday morning, but could not wade into the water due to the big waves (red flags flying the last 2 days). I was throwing about 1.5 oz of weight with my 7-foot spinning rod, but got the overall impression that it was completely inadequate (especially casting all the way from the shore). I caught no fish, until after about an hour I had one hard hit (it felt like a strike to me) and the line was cut above my 3-way swivel.

I fished off the pier in the lagoon side for a bit, tying on a small hook and catching 5-inch pinfish and croakers with bits of squid for about an hour. One of my non-fishing friends came down, and was thrilled to catch the little fish.

I'm still looking for some food fish. Supposedly the waters should be calmer today or tomorrow.

Is it worth driving to one of the bridges and casting during the tide changes, or should I expect to do better from the surf if I just wade out some?

It's about a 15-20 minute drive to Perdido Pass, but I guess it might be worth it to actually catch something.

#853658 - 08/05/08 07:53 AM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: Crosshairy]
timeless
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: here

If you have the gear, bridge fishing can be fun.
#853684 - 08/05/08 08:08 AM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: timeless]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

It can be worth the drive. You need to find out when high tide is and try to fish 2 hours either side of high tide. Go the east side of Perdido Pass and try there. If you are toward Gulf Shores go to where Little Lagoon enters the ocean. You can always catch catfish at night using shrimp. You dont really need to wade out you just have to find the right location

#853910 - 08/05/08 10:15 AM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: go_okfishin]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Go to Perdido pass at daylight, go to the east side, and walk out the dunes to the beach near the jetty. Cast small spoons or jigs into the surf and retrieve them erratically. The ladyfish, blues, and spanish should be thick there this time of year.

#854010 - 08/05/08 11:14 AM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: captain hook]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Gookfishin,
Are the catfish fit to eat? Our condo is about 1/2 mile west of little lagoon bridge.

I've caught them off-shore before (I was told they were inedible), but I thought I remembered hearing that the kind near the coast is edible.

CH,
Sounds like I need to make the drive to Perdido pass and start tossing the bubble rig/clark spoon combo.

#854217 - 08/05/08 12:31 PM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: Crosshairy]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

If they have a big fin and are light blue (sail cats) then yes. If they are dark blue and have a normal fin (hardheads) then no.\

Seriously check out the pass it is a ball at daylight.

#854432 - 08/05/08 02:27 PM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: captain hook]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Ditto what Hook said.
if you are .5 mile from Little Lagoon I would walk there along the beach at first light w/ a 1/2 or 3/4 silver spoon. Watch for schools of baitfish, birds working, different water color any little feature that looks different. It is hard on the beach because it all looks the same. A pair of good sunglasses is the best thing you can have. You can spot a lot of fish that way. This is kind of hard to explain but you want to try to find a place on the beach where the water is running back into the ocean
like a river. The waves run onto the beach and certain places funnel the water back into the ocean like a river. This is usually where there is some kind of cut in the sandbar. Once you find one you will understand.

Or make it easy and go where Hook said at sunrise or sunset. I have caught a bunch of fish where Little Lagoon dumps into the ocean if the tide is right. And remember just about everything out there can bite sting or cut ya. Redfish are about the only thing I will handle.

#856727 - 08/06/08 06:37 PM Re: gulf shores fishing thus far [Re: go_okfishin]
Crosshairy
10 Point

As an update, I went to Perdido Pass this morning casting spoons. The only fish I caught was a baby pompano that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got snagged.

They are doing repair work to the jetty, and the rock wall that sticks out from the east side is covered over with heavy equipment. They are dumping a lot of rocks and sand into the water, and I wonder if that is not pushing the fish away from there a bit.

I did see some baitfish schooling (with gulls going crazy) at one point, but never saw a single fish break the water to eat them. I'm not sure what was going on, but they were shut down today. I didn't talk to anyone who caught anything.

I'll probably try the little lagoon inlet sometime before I leave on Saturday. Since I'm staying with a lot of non-fishermen and my 9-month-old son is with us, my opportunities are limited.

Hopefully the captain of the Fish Trap will put us on a few for the cooler on Friday!!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (Kimberman, stickler, FISH, Food Plot 101, ghostfive, dryhorn2, 12 invisible) and 132 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85298 Topics
1030900 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.21 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.