Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#853482 - 08/05/08 06:42 AM anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong.
J Hartman
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, Maury, TN

SO it takes me a good two hours to get to old hickory. but my wife and i went for my birthday this past weekend... After getting my [censored] pounded with 5 foot high waves and everything in the boat soaking wet in water (just have an aluminum open fishing boat) I decided to pull out of old hickory lake park, and ride further towards the river stayed at cedar creek campgrounds overnight... I didn't find where I wanted to fish until about dark saturday night, but it was about a 100 acre spot, close to 2'-5' in depth great cover under water and good shade over... Fished it hard until dark with only one fish caught.

I went back out to that spot again the following morning to see what would happen there in the morning time, I figured the water was just too hot, even in the evening. In the morning, not even a bite... well I found another cove under a bridge, prolly the next cove up from my previous "great spot" but I didn't get there til around noon... OK so at NOON in about 2'-3' of water, I was NAILING the bass on a WACKY WORM, with no weights, not even a jig head, just letting it float on a hook, Then my wife started catching them on a texas rig... SO we were on top and bottom catching fish in the shallow water with the wrong stuff... I thought that the fish go deep when it is hot?

#853817 - 08/05/08 09:31 AM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: J Hartman]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Nah, you didn't fish it wrong. You fished it wrong for big fish. Surprised you didn't get in to the stripe in that spot. It usually holds a lot of them. It's about 5 mins. from my house. But the left bank before the bridge is a notorious summer bank for good fish.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#854128 - 08/05/08 11:56 AM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: bowriter]
J Hartman
6 Point

bowriter, I need to get out on the lake with you sometime? I really enjoy fishing, but I enjoy catching even more. ;-) I don't want my woman to lose interest in fishing big lakes either. We usually fish the duck river, and so far it's been alot better to us. But I enjoy bigger lakes because there are bigger fish. \:\)

#854132 - 08/05/08 11:58 AM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: J Hartman]
J Hartman
6 Point

oh, what is the difference between a stripe, and a striper... I had some guy trying to explain it to me, but I don't think I ever understood the man.

#854236 - 08/05/08 12:50 PM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: J Hartman]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Interlunium
oh, what is the difference between a stripe, and a striper... I had some guy trying to explain it to me, but I don't think I ever understood the man.

lol I remember this debate a while back.. It was alot of fun

#854240 - 08/05/08 12:51 PM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: J Hartman]
Buckblaster
10 Point

Loc: bradley county,TN/Lancaster,SC

stripe is a white bass from what I understand.

And a striper is a true striped bass. I know that for sure

Turn your caps lock of goober, we can hear you.

#854251 - 08/05/08 01:00 PM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: Buckblaster]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

It's just semantics...what one person or another calls them.

To me a stirpe, which is actually a white bass, aka barfish, sand trout etc., is a just a miniture striper, The striper, aka rockfish is a freshwater version of the saltwater fish of the same name. Biggest difference is about 40 pounds. In the middle is the hybrid, aka cherokee bass and a couple things I can't put on this forum \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#854960 - 08/05/08 07:30 PM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: bowriter]
ol 'rube
8 Point

Loc: goodlettsville

no size in shallow water right now its hard to take a person out this tim of year that dont fish a whole lot and teach them how to catch good fish in reel deep water try staying on the river until spring or fall then u will have a blast

#859080 - 08/08/08 07:47 AM Re: anyone been to old hickory? i fished it all wrong. [Re: ol 'rube]
J Hartman
6 Point

Well I did catch around a two pounder, which happens to be my biggest fish, I haven't caught a monster yet, I'm still waiting for my chance.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (BuckDropper, redleg87, stroker, Zulu, TNRazorback, Great White Stalker, 1 invisible) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94109 Topics
1099511 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.