Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#851800 - 08/04/08 06:24 AM A few other crank questions
Back Home
10 Point

Loc: Lebanon

Didn't wanna hijack the other thread.

I'm kinda new to cranks too. This was the first year I'd ever used them, and I had a blast especially in May and June. Bombers in a orange crawl were best.

How do the pros use them? Are they diggin the bottom on every cast?? Or do they often cast in open water to find suspended fish too?

This year, the only technique I used was casting parallel to the bank and lettin it just eat the floor up. Sometimes I'd burn it. I lost one very large LM this year because I forgot my net and was chicken lip her in with the DD-22 in her mouth. But I've not used any other technique except diggin the rock.

I've had absolutely no luck whatsoever with rattletraps (blue/silver chrome), and I've given them a fair shake. I've tried slow, fast, yo-yo, deep, shallow...nothing. Don't know what I'm doin wrong there.

#851860 - 08/04/08 07:15 AM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: Back Home]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Most of the fish I catch on crankbaits are burning it at a pretty fast pace and most of the time I'm digging the bottom up. I like to fish river & creek ledges with'em where I'm casting them in about 5-7' and bringing them off into the channel. The DT16 Rapala is a killer bait for this as it dives very rapidly as opposed top the DD22 which takes while to get down.

Dont give up on those traps. If you fish Priest, try red crawfish patterns in February & March and you'll catch some pre-spawn hogs in very shallow water. Like 6-12" \:\)

#851898 - 08/04/08 07:33 AM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: username]
Back Home
10 Point

I do fish Priest often. I've let up a lot lately because of the heat.

I don't have a DT16 in the box, but I will after this week. \:\)

#852026 - 08/04/08 08:54 AM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: Back Home]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I'll just tell you what I know. I don't fish cranks much expecially the big, deep divers. But the last couple years I have had to learn a little something about them.

First thing I learned was that the rod is extra important. Second thing I learned was sometimes you burn that sucker down deep as soon as it hits the water, then slow down and fish it just like a jerkbait. That's what I had to learn. I was use to just bumping and pumping and reeling right along.

But I truly hate cranks and next to someone who really knows how to fish one, I am Ned in the first reader.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#852440 - 08/04/08 01:15 PM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: bowriter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Newsome, Go ahead and pick up a good lure retreiver too if you fish Priest. I actually use the DT10 alot as well for burning up those 7-10' flats up there and have had a lot of good results on the black & red crawfish color at night. The white green back is usually what I throw in the day up there. Beware of a 15lb hybrid! \:\)
#852612 - 08/04/08 03:08 PM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: username]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Loc: Hockins County

Deflection off of the bottom or cover is what triggers most of the strikes. But when fish are suspended in open water near the thermocline at a certain depth in summer months, they work then also. Trick is to use a lure that runs it's deepest at the depth they are holding.

Username gave you good advice on the Rattle Traps. They are best in fall and late winter/early spring when the pre-spawners are moving up to feed and stage. One of the best baits to use when fish are in skinny water and on flats. They are mainly a reaction bait and you want a fast ratio reel and crank the piss out of it. Some of the biggest bags of fish I have ever caught were on lipless baits in 42-44 degree water temps in February.

#854553 - 08/05/08 03:35 PM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: Dr. Dickel]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have made several posts along this subject. This year I have one good day, (only tried 3 times) fishing a drop off, hump, etc.
I was fishing a 700 series bandit. I caught 2 that were within an ounce of 5 lbs on my boga grips, 3 that were close to 4 and 15 or 16 from a 1lb to 3lbs. If you fish priest go ride the river channel or look at a map for humps. If you have a quaility depth finder, look for the baitfish and the bass should not be far away. One thing to remember is the oxygen content on Priest is terrible this time of year, I would guess from Bryant grove toward the river I would not fish over 18 ft deep very much. Also remember the fish can hang right on the drop or they can position where you need to anchor on top of the drop and throw a worm over the drop and bring it back up or they can be right in the middle of a flat area (I will usually roam these areas with a crankbait, a Poe's 300, 400 or 400P, which the newer ones are terrible to try to get to run correctly, a Mann's 30+ crankbait, or now the bandit 700) I can fish down to 11' with a poe's 300, to 16' with a poe's 400 or to just over 20' with poe's 400P, these depths are with a cast and retrieve. I like to throw a plastic worm, a large spinnerbait or one the above crankbaits. If you spend time you can find "schools" of bass on Priest. I do not have any luck if my crankbaits are not digging the bottom, and I will try many different retrieves, just try to make sure that the crankbait is in contact with the bottom. I prefer a texas rigged worm over anything (do not be scared to try a 4" worm, some days they are the trick) or even a 10" worm, and I do not really like deep diving crankbaits, but I have caught a world of fish on them. Here is a picture, several years ago, gone from the house an hour or so and we came back with these (I have posted before)

Here is a texas rigged worm day with my dad, we let go over 50 bass that day including 4 that over 5 lbs.

Edited by Headhunter (08/05/08 03:43 PM)

#854573 - 08/05/08 03:45 PM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Newsome, my favorite rattle-trap is a 1/4 oz silver tennessee shad color. I fish it in the spring where there is a lot of wind blowing into a bank, the more wind the better. Try that next year. I do change the hooks and put a #4 and a #6 gamakatsu treble hook with the larger hook on the back of the rat-l-trap.

Edited by Headhunter (08/05/08 03:47 PM)

#854580 - 08/05/08 03:49 PM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Before anyone wants to get upset, the first picture was when there was basically no length limit on bass in Tennessee and the limit was 10 per person per day. Me and a buddy caught the fish along with about 20 more that day.

#854815 - 08/05/08 05:47 PM Re: A few other crank questions [Re: Headhunter]
Back Home
10 Point

Very good info HH. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (Poleaxe, moondawg, dewclaw, mjac, vonb, 762hunter, 10 invisible) and 122 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85258 Topics
1030433 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.