Tndeer Logo

Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>
Topic Options
#847056 - 07/31/08 12:39 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Fordman]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Troy Basso
Now these big females are very hard to catch but are VERY easy to foul hook or snag with jerk bait.

Good point Troy, and thus the reason that a section of the South Holston got closed.As well as a feeder creek to the Clinch, where people pitch forked and snagged trout that were trying to spawn.

There is ingrate trash disguised as people all around and snagging spawning trout is about as low class as it gets IMO.

#847080 - 07/31/08 12:49 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Well I have fished with a fly rod from Colorado to a good portion of the eastern seaboard and crowds dont ruin fishing. I learned that I didnt like crowds so I learned to fish for something besides trout. I am by no means a fly fishing expert but seems to me if you cant or wont fish the CF because of a crowd you have a couple options. First you can stop fishing. Second you can try your hand at largemouth,smallmouth,spotted bass, stripers,hybrids,carp,gar,skipjack,shellcrackers,bluegill, crappie,white bass, black perch,or catfish. ALl the species live in the SAME WATERSHED as the CF.
#848486 - 08/01/08 08:39 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Fordman]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'd like to make a note....I imagine that the "snagging" trout remark was pointed in my general direction...

...you'll notice that the pictures I would post on these boards and others during the fall, the "spawn" if you will [about a productive as Bob Dole trying to procreate at this stage in the game] were narry above 22". Sure, I saw tons of huge fish, and know I placed my bait in front of at least one that was pushign the 15+ lb mark. I know that. I put it right in front of her face. The only way these fish snag themselves is if they strike at it and then get caught subsequently. most of the fish I'd hooked on jerkbaits were on the side of the head, or even a middle treble on the back with the hook in the front...but that's the nature of the jerkbait. A 5" lure hit by a 20-25" fish is still a big mouthful. The ones that were released were handled as well as we could and I'm sure made it just fine, as we kept fight time and operating time minimal. Believe me, if I had been "snagging" those fish, I would've had a 10 pound plus trout everytime out. And once again, I stand...those fish aren't hard to catch...IF you know how to target them. I don't know how to specifically go after them yet, but I know the areas they lurk, and I know t here are goes who DO nkow...i.e. big...live...bait.

Once again, if you're just a guy out there tossing dry flies NEVER under generation, let alone 2-3 heavy flow, you have absolutely NO say in the management of trophy fish in that system...because you aren't even targeting them. You're not fishing them. Period. It's like crappie fishermen trying to put input on how to manage muskies. Two different ball games....same fish, yes, but two different animals. NOt saying a big trout isn't occasionally taken on a small small fly, but just the nature of large predators such as a trophy brown cannot afford them to expend energy picking off little molecules on the waterse surface here or there when t hey live on a 5000 cfs treadmill. They have to eat big prey to even maintain their body weight.

#848504 - 08/01/08 08:49 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Tubakka]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Hmmm. In a way, in theory I might agree with some of Tubs statment. But in fact, if that fisherman, whatever equipment he uses and whenever he fishes buys a license/trout stamp, then he dam sure has a say as far as I am concerned.

The hunter who never kills a buck over 18 months old has just as much say in deer management as the guy who won't shoot one under 4.5 yrs.

I agree flinging flies on no flow in the dead of summer is not the best way to catch trout over 8#. But what does that have to do with a say in how that fishery is managed? It would be like saying a guy can't park his truck and float his boat in the winter unless he is throwing jerkbaits.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#848698 - 08/01/08 11:00 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: Tubakka

Once again, if you're just a guy out there tossing dry flies NEVER under generation, let alone 2-3 heavy flow, you have absolutely NO say in the management of trophy fish in that system...because you aren't even targeting them.

In that case, I do not want to hear one single word more from you about the brookies, because you "aren't even targeting them."

Seriously, Tubs. This is just flat ignorant. Doesn't it seem a little inconsistent when you bash fly fishermen as "elitist snobs" and then go around claiming that you should have more say than them in fisheries management because you somehow have some superior right to the trophy fish?

First, even the hardcore fly fishermen on the Caney aren't throwing dry flies all the time, because there are very few good dry fly opportunities here. This shows how little you know about fly fishing.

Second, I have caught browns up to 28" on a #16 nymph. It ain't easy, and it ain't the best way to target them, even with a fly, but there are times when it can be done.

I've got an idea: maybe people should have absolutely NO say when talking about things they don't have a clue about.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (08/01/08 11:09 AM)

#848719 - 08/01/08 11:11 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: B.D.]
captain hook
10 Point

This is amazing, and I honestly don't even know where to begin. Everyone who buys a license has a voice, period.

Tubs I don't even carry a dry fly in my box, and I do target big browns with high water. More so then most.

What you need to do Tubs is go read the stomach samples from large browns 25"+ and see what their diet consists of before you make asinine comments. 40% of their diet is invertebrates (midges, scuds, sowbugs, and other nymphs). So yea they do eat and eat quite alot of small stuff as it takes no energy to open their mouth when something comes drifting by. Sure they eat lots and lots of small trout, baitfish, and crayfish, but they also eat the little stuff as well. Guess from your post you haven't figured out that 70% of what a trout eats is underwater and not floating on the surface.

Fishing for spawning trout is low class, even if it is done with plugs.

#848868 - 08/01/08 12:54 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I have sampled the stomachs of a few browns over 4 pounds and I promise you there were not any bugs in there. Actually all of them had shad over 7 inches in them. Im not saying they dont eat bugs, but 40% I dont think so. Where is your reference on that? And you cant say you have used a turkey baster to suck them out because I dont think one of those things could suck out a 8 or 9 inch shad. \:\)

#849255 - 08/01/08 05:45 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: trealtree]
captain hook
10 Point

Done by much more qualified biologists then me, and dang sure more qualified then gutting a handful on the bank. Don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure TWRA has data to back this up. I know the AR DNR has it as well as KY.

Like I said they still eat plenty of big stuff, but they also eat small stuff.

#849339 - 08/01/08 06:52 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I dont make decisions on heresay. If I see data to back it up I will resend and admit that I was wrong.

#849503 - 08/01/08 09:05 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: trealtree]
captain hook
10 Point

Guess as usual someone wants another person to do all the leg work for them...

Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
62 registered (Backstrapcrazy, HuntingDicksonDTC, jaybird62, Sea-ark, leader, bowhunter163, 9 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85394 Topics
1031820 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.228 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.