Tndeer Logo

Page 11 of 13 « First<910111213>
Topic Options
#845482 - 07/30/08 02:59 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

BTW whoever bashed TU must not have a clue how much TU does nationwide to sustain and support coldwater fisheries. Granted they commie liberals at their core, they do a great job and more so then any other fisheries conservation organization I can think of.

One quick TU story. Several years ago on the Clinch, the TU chapter worked with TVA to donate the money and time to stabilize a bank on a farm which was owned by the ring leader of the anti-reg movement or LUCRO on the clinch. He hates fly fisherman and was the loudest of the loud screaming private act on any sort of restrictions. Dude never even said thanks for VOLUNTEERS taking time to fix his bank and save his investment. Of course this same cat ran for county commissioner, and got 2 votes, maybe.

#845646 - 07/30/08 05:04 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

TWRA has already put enough size limits on lakes/rivers that don't need them.

Pickwick comes to mind.

If it's beneficial and there is evidence it needs it then heck yeah but not because some big boss or commissioner wants it.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#845654 - 07/30/08 05:13 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
captain hook
10 Point

Swamper I agree, and if there is biological basis for the reg changes, either way stricter or looser, then by all means go for it.

Some fisheries (river smallmouth) are one exception, and TWRA took a proactive approach to make the fisheries better and protect one of native species. I have no problem with that, and am glad they took the initiative to pass that legislation.

Most reservoir bass guys would could probably care less, other then the whole tournament deal and if the tourney guys could be somewhat creative they could come up with a way to still count fish inside a slot or below a minimum size. Cut out the weigh in at the ramp and livewell stuff, and do on point of catch tallying and the problem is solved.

#845927 - 07/30/08 07:50 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: Unicam

There are alot better trout waters in the country, many have been ruined by slot limits or silly rules, it turns people away when they have to worry about rules. You input to many rules and people will leave, the fishery foes down hill and everyone looses.

This is completely false! Try whole communities based solely on a the river---> Big Horn River and Fort Smith Montana, Henry's Fork River, Last Chance Idaho, San Juan River Durango Colorado, and Deschutes River, Maupin, Oregon.

There are tons of rivers nationwide which are destination rivers based solely on the quality of fishing which is world class based on the regulations. Green River, Frying Pan, Missouri, Madison, South Fork of the Snake, Au Sable, Delaware, South Holston, Watauga, White, Little Red, the list could go on and on.

Your above statement is utterly false, and has no merit.

Read the whole post there Capt. Hook before you start slinging mud. I will agree there are some good and most of the rivers you named are fisheries for the rich and famous, not the every day angler wanting to have some fun with the familt, toss some bait and enjoy some fish on the barbie. You miss the point, or maybe make it for me.

John 15:13

#845949 - 07/30/08 08:01 PM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Unicam]
captain hook
10 Point

I am far from rich, somewhat famous in some circles \:\) , and I along with thousands of others have fished many of those rivers. Heck some of them are in our own backyard. The Cumberland, South Holston, and Watauga are just a stones throw away.

The White and Little Red are the epicenter of bait fishing. Trout Docks on the White are the forefathers for the bait slinger movement.

I think the underlying point you are getting at is that with restrictions you or whoever may not be able to do what you want when you want and with what ever you choose.

You very clearly said, that the $$$ leaves when you implement special regs, and I clearly provided evidence that was not the case.

Please provide a piece of evidence to support your claim, I challenge you, because it is not possible. If anything it is the exact opposite of what you state, when regs go in and fishing improves $$$ pours in at an alarming rate.

#846445 - 07/31/08 07:19 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: Unicam]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Unicam, I've got to disagree with your suggestion that regulations make fisheries go downhill. Your examples of western streams prove your claim false. In most of these states, the "blue ribbon" trout streams are catch and release only and/or heavily regulated. The regs haven't made the fisheries go downhill - to the contrary, the regs have made these streams some of the best trout fisheries in the country, despite very heavy fishing pressure.

Comparing these streams with the California pay lakes is just silly. The pay lakes raise triploid fish in hatcheries up to 10 lbs or more, dump them into a little muddy pond, and feed them pellets every day until they get caught. That's no accomplishment. A lot of the pay lakes don't even support trout year-round: they dump the big hatchery trout in the winter, and switch to catfish when it's warm. It's like "high-fence" hunting a pen-raised elk in someone's 10-acre yard.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/31/08 08:42 AM)

#846656 - 07/31/08 08:54 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: B.D.]
captain hook
10 Point

Brian, you and I have diagreed in this thread but I 100% agree with you on your above post.

Like I and you have said making fisheries better and restricting harvests has the exact opposite effect of what Unicam claims.

When a river can sustain the economy of a local community it can be directly tied to restrictive regulations and improved fishing opportunities. The same can be said for high quality reservoirs, look at the lakes in Mexico as an example. No one would go to a crap hole desert in Mexico to fish if the fishing wasn't outstanding.

#846669 - 07/31/08 09:07 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Brian, you and I have diagreed in this thread but I 100% agree with you on your above post.

No worries - I disagree with EVERYBODY sooner or later. I'm a "professional arguer." \:\)

Since this has been a topic with a bit of controversy and a few strong words, this might be a good time to note that I mean no hard feelings against anyone here, "vigorous debate" notwithstanding.

I do appreciate everyone's opinions on this subject very much.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (07/31/08 09:07 AM)

#846671 - 07/31/08 09:08 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: B.D.]
captain hook
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan

No worries - I disagree with EVERYBODY sooner or later. I'm a "professional arguer." \:\)

Since this has been a topic with a bit of controversy and a few strong words, this might be a good time to note that I mean no hard feelings against anyone here, "vigorous debate" notwithstanding.

I do appreciate everyone's opinions on this subject very much.

bd

Same for me on the latter, and I love a fiesty debate.

#846719 - 07/31/08 09:39 AM Re: I'm taking a poll on Caney Size Regs [Re: captain hook]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

I will say that I agree with about half of this thread. Slot limits are something I would love to see happen, I donít see it in the future though. Sorry I have dealt with the TWRA for years and it will take three studies and 4 years for anyone to make a choice.
One thing thoughÖ Is this thread about fish or the fact the river has become crowded? I would think that the crowded river has been the driving force on all the talk about the CF. There is a lot of water on that river and if you canít deal with the crowds there is even more water all over the state. The crowds will not hurt the river period. Now does there need to be some kind of regulations governing the amount of rental craft on the river at any given time? I think thatís a good idea. I am a fishing guide and have no problems with outfitters, guides and any commercial operation being governed and regulated for the safety and good of a resource. You guys would come a lot closer to getting that done than you ever will slot limits.
As far as fishing regulations I would much rather see a closed season on BROWN TROUT from 01 OCT through thanksgiving. That would probably benefit the river as much if not more than a slot limit. There is more pressure on the river and my only concern is that when the really big fish move onto the gravel to spawn that there will be a wholesale slaughter. Now these big females are very hard to catch but are VERY easy to foul hook or snag with jerk bait.

Page 11 of 13 « First<910111213>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
71 registered (redblood, swoods72, Rackseeker, BamaProud, SilverFox, Forcetowork, 9 invisible) and 115 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85304 Topics
1030955 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.236 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.