Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#843564 - 07/29/08 02:23 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: bowriter]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

So your assuming that a "real" tournament fisherman can out perform an experienced flyfisherman for bass?

What exactly can a "real" tournament fisherman do that say I couldn't do with a flyrod? The only serious thing I can think of is make about 20% more casts in a day, which would give you a few more chances. Other than that I can't think of anything more that would give them an advantage.

#843590 - 07/29/08 02:34 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: 7mm08]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Why do you want to argue? You asked a question. I answered your question as honestly as I could, as did others. Now you want to measure johnsons over flyrods and other tackle.

Why?

But I'll answer your question. They can win consistently and you can't. You can have a good day here and there but day in and day out, fishing the cover and brush etc., they can switch rods and lures and skim bass across the surface and you can't. Yet the biggest stringer of smallmouth I ever caught, I caught on a flyrod. But I could never do it again and tournament fishing is about consistent hook sets and getting the fish in the boat.

Now quit trying to start a pissing contest.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#843606 - 07/29/08 02:41 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: bowriter]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

You can't sell over priced plastic lures mass produced in China. That's one reason.

Edited by bob (07/29/08 02:42 PM)

#843631 - 07/29/08 03:05 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: bob]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Bob- you could if you could win. You can't sell jack finishing 152nd.

#843664 - 07/29/08 03:28 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: bowriter]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Not a pissing contest. Last thing I want to do is be covered in stickers that includes what gum I chew when I fish.

Ever heard of popping bugs, and I don't mean the 4 for a dollar you probably buy at KMart

#843697 - 07/29/08 03:53 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: B.D.]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
Bass fishing doesn't lend itself to fly fishing. You can catch bass on a flyrod, but most days you'll do better on gear. Bass don't spend their time eating tiny little bugs like trout do.

Fly fishing is sort of like bow hunting. Most enthusiasts don't do it because it's the best way to catch the most in the fastest amount of time - they do it because it's fun. I know a lot of guys who love to bow hunt. A couple are so into it that they bow hunt exclusively with recurves. They are hardcore hunters and know more about stalking big bucks than I ever will.

I don't think any of them would grab a recurve and go hope to compete in a deer hunting contest against a bunch of guys with rifles though.

bd

This has to be a joke, have you not ever seen the vast aray of bass fishing stuff offered to fly fisherman. And yes it does work, and works well.

#843710 - 07/29/08 04:04 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: captain hook]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Yes it does. But not when you have skid them across the surface and jerk them out of heavy cover. That's how you win tournaments.

Nobody is questioning if you can catch bass on a flyrod. The question is about tournaments. Catching bass and winning tournaments are often two diffrent things.

Later this year I am taking Gill bass fishing. I expect him to catch a five fish stringer of at least 30 pounds. I also expect him to get at least one rod broken. But I'll let him report on it. If we get the fish in open water, he'll do fine. If they are back in the thicket, he is screwed. Same with a tournament.

#843722 - 07/29/08 04:10 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: captain hook]
captain hook
10 Point

To seriously address the question. Yes, plenty big enough bass can be caught on flies, and consistently. However, the biggest issue which I can see is that for them to be caught consistently, at least from my perspective, the weather has to be good, almost perfect. And cold fronts, cold water temps, etc etc. can make catching them and good ones consistently on flies almost impossible. Which would make competing on a national level dang near a waste of time.

Given great conditions, a good fly fisherman who knows how to catch them can do great, and compete with no problem.

I attached a few from last summer which I caught on the French Broad below Douglas as proof ( have to brag a little \:\) ). The weather if you notice is perfect and the time of year is always warm, which makes them more aggressive and easier to catch IMO. But yes it can be done, just limited to certain times of the year.

If it were only summer tournaments we could compete and win, but given the night tourneys and such, we don't have a prayer. JMHO

Edited by captain hook (07/29/08 04:13 PM)

#843747 - 07/29/08 04:34 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: captain hook]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Hmmm The headless fisherman.

You just said exactly what I have been saying. BTW- Dang nice brown fish. Back in about 78, I had a stringer off Dale Hollow that averaged five pounds. That was when the limit was 10. Used a frog lookin popping bug. Would kill for a picture of that string.

#843755 - 07/29/08 04:39 PM Re: B.A.S.S. Tournaments [Re: bowriter]
captain hook
10 Point

Bowriter I agree with your views on dragging fish out of brush, and we did essentially say the same thing overall. In the perfect situation sure we could compete, but for all I know conventional tackle folks might be catching even bigger fish under the same conditions.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (Planking, Beekeeper, Paul Burns, Mudbone, cdtac1, shelbydeer) and 92 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85590 Topics
1034228 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.262 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.